Author Topic: variable hi hat with dm5/pc  (Read 4044 times)

Offline H3RB

variable hi hat with dm5/pc
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:47 PM »
just a quick question, basically im new to drumming and for my first kit ive bought the dm5 pro. i already new about the hi hat thing but didnt and still doesnt really matter to me. what i wanna know is if i connected the dm5 module to my pc via midi-usb can i use a program like ez drummer to get the variable hi hat? and use it for the whole kit? as i assuming there will be more sounds etc for the pc based programs?
any help is great thanks

Offline ghostman

Re: variable hi hat with dm5/pc
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:37:27 AM »
yes, you should be able to do that.  All the VST software work via MIDI.  there is a VST section on this forum - ask your questions and read the posts in there.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:56:44 AM »
ah fair enough ill give it a blast, didnt realise there was a specific forum for this im new to it all and have no idea what vst is lol

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
just a quick question, basically im new to drumming and for my first kit ive bought the dm5 pro. i already new about the hi hat thing but didnt and still doesnt really matter to me. what i wanna know is if i connected the dm5 module to my pc via midi-usb can i use a program like ez drummer to get the variable hi hat? and use it for the whole kit? as i assuming there will be more sounds etc for the pc based programs?
any help is great thanks
To be blunt, No. The DM5 doesn't send the CC#4 control signal that is needed to get a variable hi-hat. You would need an Alesis Trigger I/O or DM10 to do that. The DM5 can only send midi notes numbers. With a DM5 that is only three. Open hi-hat, Closed hi-hat, and Foot chick. I hope that helps.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »
Good catch HF,  Although you could still use a VST as a sound source, you just won't get the full dynamics of the hats.  And it might sound better!

VST:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:27:49 PM »
This would be a very DIY approach, but if you've got a DM5 pro, a PC, and EZ Drummer or similar software, there's a chance you could add Edrum Monitor www.edrummonitor.com, which is free, and connect some sort of variable hi-hat pedal to a joystick input or cannibalized USB joystick.

In theory it could work.  In practice?  I have no personal experience.
Alesis D4 with old simmons hex pads, frisbees w/ piezos and rockband cymbals, and an experimental mesh-head snare conversion; DrumKat 3.8 with pintech kick & hat pedal.