Author Topic: Need Assistance Identifying Alesis Kit & Mesh Head Conversion Questions  (Read 3336 times)

Offline KTO

Hello, I picked up this kit (without electronics) yesterday and need some confirmation on what I bought. am I correct in assuming this is a DM8 Pro kit? The pads are 12" snare and floor tom and 8" and 10" toms. All say dual zone on the bottom of the pads.

I ordered a set of mesh heads and am planning on doing the hellfire conversion on the 8" and 10" pads (or just cut a slit in the black foam and rearrange everything like I have seen others do)

My question is about the 12" heads. I read the Gerdy sticky about the 12" pads and ran across the post that the 12" pads on the pro kits are similar to the 8" and 10" pads, therefore the hellfire conversion works on the 12" pro pads. Can someone let me know how to tell the difference between the 12" pads that need the Gerdy method and the ones what will work with the hellfire or the slitting foam rearranging method?

Thanks for the help!

Offline KTO

OK, I got the 8" and 10" toms completed and opened up the snare. It looks like the model on the Gerdy 12" sticky thread.

I will see if I can round up some foam. I will probably only be able to get 1/4" locally.

Offline Sal

Good sleuthing. What are you going to do for the module?
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline KTO

Good sleuthing. What are you going to do for the module?

Hello Sal. I just picked up a used DM8 harness and module on ebay. Everything cleaned up really nice.

I am still working on a plan for the 12" pads. I think I am going to build a 1/2" shell spacer and add 1/2" of air conditioner filter foam to the original stack like mpanzer did here http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=5865.0

I should have the module by the end of this week ready to test.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:00:04 AM by KTO »

Offline Sal

Awesome. So what's the investment looking like? My DM10X cost me...my acoustic drums, bags, and some hardware (hooray for bartering!)
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline KTO

Awesome. So what's the investment looking like? My DM10X cost me...my acoustic drums, bags, and some hardware (hooray for bartering!)

I got the rack, pads, module, harness, and mesh pads for around $350. Probably add another $10 for foam.

Offline Sal

Killer. Have fun!

Offline KTO

I am going to test using this 3/16" air conditioner foam since it is similar to the speaker grill foam others have tried. (no shell riser at this time)

https://www.amazon.com/Thermwell-Products-15X24x3-F1524-Conditioner/dp/B000BO68BU

I used three layers of this for a 9/16" pad below the sensor plate and two layers for 3/8" between the mesh and the sensor. I won't be able to test until my module arrives later this week.

Offline KTO

The DM8 modure and harness come in the mail. We got the chance to mess around a bit tonight.

The current setup is the 8 and 10" toms and kick set up with the foam rearranged like hellfire's but the resistors not removed.

The snare is setup with gerdy's method but with 9/16" AC foam below and 3/8" above the sensor.

Here are the findings thusfar. The only setting messed with on the module is was the sensitivity. No firmware update applied.

1. The kick drum was just about perfect.

2. The 10" tom was very good except it wouldn't trigger on very light hits even with sensitivity turned up on module. It is probably good enough to keep it as is.

3. The 8" tom will definitely need the resistor removed. It needed fairly hard hits before it would trigger. 

4. The snare was quite good except the rim shot would trigger the snare from time to time. Not too bad at all though.

It will take some tweaking but I think we might have a winner eventually.

Offline Sal

For less than $400 that's awesome. Keep the updates coming!

Offline KTO

I got a 2nd module/wiring harness/power supply for $130 to keep in the trailer. Now I need to find a couple spare pads on the cheap and I'd feel comfortable using it live.

I am going to sit down this weekend and see if I can get rid of the problem where the snare is triggering with a rim shot and see if I can get the resistors removed from the toms.

Offline KTO

I got the wiring harness wrapped up inside shielding hose this morning. I was able to get all of the pads working good by tweaking the settings in the module with the exception of the 8" pad. That thing is horrible and needs one heck of a whack to get it to trigger. I am going to have to remove the resistors on that guy.

I think for transport, I am going to build a divider in my trailer out of 1/4" plywood and line it with carpet foam. Then just swing in the floor tom arm and straighten out the snare and hi hat arms and just slide it in the trailer and go.

I put an extra 1/4" bolt through all of the joints that didn't need to swivel for reinforcement. I just need to get a 45 degree brace or another T adapter and leg to reinforce the snare arm and it should be good to go.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:33:59 PM by KTO »

Offline KTO

We got through a few practices with the kit so I am confident everything is dialed in and ready for it's first show on saturday. I got a spare module, harness, power supply and 10" head just in case.

I'm building a little padded room in the front of my trailer so I should be able to just strap it to a couple brackets with bungees, close the door and load up. It sure takes a lot less space than the acoutic kit. Setup and teardown time is going to be much quicker.

I still want to put a 45 degree brace or another leg on the snare arm to give that a little more strength while on the road.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:19:20 AM by KTO »

Offline Sal

That's awesome! A little fold here...a little fold there...

Offline KTO

The first show sounded great. The lack of stage volume was fantastic. We have an indoor show in a few weeks and all the guys have gone in ear montors. I can't wait to hear how quiet the stage is.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:45:57 AM by KTO »

Offline AlanK

What a great setup and the location looks really nicely landscaped, must have looked really cool when you guys were playing.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

What has made the penny drop with me looking at the images above, is that I don't need a huge rug under my kit.

I have this carpet that I planned to move about when gigging.

All I need is a couple of small mats for under the pedals like in the images above. Brilliant. 

I come from a life time of playing acoustic kits. You always had a whole rug (or what we called 'drum carpet) under your kit. Best of all I can get rid of the horrible and over sized rug I have in my office that is constantly dropping fluff.

Offline KTO

What has made the penny drop with me looking at the images above, is that I don't need a huge rug under my kit.

I have this carpet that I planned to move about when gigging.

All I need is a couple of small mats for under the pedals like in the images above. Brilliant. 

I come from a life time of playing acoustic kits. You always had a whole rug (or what we called 'drum carpet) under your kit. Best of all I can get rid of the horrible and over sized rug I have in my office that is constantly dropping fluff.

Those little mats were $1 each at the local hardware store. They worked great.

Now that the DM8 set is road ready it is going to stay in the trailer I am not going back to acoustic in the basement now, I need to score another deal like this for practice.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:23:03 PM by KTO »

Offline Sal

This thread just keeps getting better. Any video?

Offline KTO

This thread just keeps getting better. Any video?

Sorry no video. I was juggling a lot with some new gear in the PA and didn't have time for anything besides a couple snaps before the show. It sounded amazing though without the drums being in your face and no mic bleed or monitor noise.

Offline KTO

I can't go back to acoustic for practice after the last few weeks so I picked up a used DM10 pro of guitar center's used site. The dog is going to be much happier.

I got the mesh and foam ready for the conversion tonight along with some gold rainbow glitter wrap for the heads.

The practice kit is prettier than the live kit but oh well, I already have 2 DM8 brains and I'm not rebuilding my brackets in the trailer and the DM8 matching the lighting truss and speaker stands nicely.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:54:03 PM by KTO »

Offline AlanK

Seeing the gold wrap on the pads along side the cymbals really makes it all pop.. excellent look dude
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline KTO

Seeing the gold wrap on the pads along side the cymbals really makes it all pop.. excellent look dude

Thanks, ya the gold wrap matched the cymbals quite nicely. I'll post finished pictures tonight.

It looks so pretty I might take a little time and drill some holes to run the cables in side the frame.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:52:56 PM by KTO »

Offline KTO

I got the mesh and trim finished. The gold looks tits. Now to dial it in.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:59:16 PM by KTO »

Offline AlanK

The gold looks tits.
Hahahahaha, I laughed out loud at work! hahahaha good one