Author Topic: Toms on my DM6 are "repeating"  (Read 1624 times)

Toms on my DM6 are "repeating"
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:28:02 AM »
Greetings!

I am new to this site/forum and was hoping someone out there could help me with an issue I am having with my DM6. Originally, the "floor tom", when struck once would repeat 3-4 times rapidly like a one handed roll. Now all 3 toms are repeating in this manner. Has anyone experienced this before and (more importantly) is anyone aware of a potential solution? Look forward to hearing back from someone.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Toms on my DM6 are "repeating"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:01:20 PM »
While this post is coming up on 5 years old, I just got a used DM6 kit and seem to be having the exact same issue. Figured I would reply and cross my fingers that one day an Alesis guru will come to our rescue!

Offline korakios

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 05:01:50 AM »
Sounds like hardware issue, the piezo is vibrating or the cable.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:03:59 AM »
check your retrigger settings and toy with threshold (or whatever the other sensitivity type settings are in the trigger utility)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 03:52:09 PM »
I solved the issue!

If you unscrew the 6 Philips screws and open up the tom drum heads, you should see a sensor maybe a little over 2 inches in diameter and it should be taped to the inside center of the drum head. In two of my toms (the one that was doing 'hand rolls' when you strike it and another that participated in a ton of cross-talk) these sensors had completely fallen off and were just rattling around in their respective housing. I used a bit of painter's tape to reseat these sensors as it seemed to have a similar tack and texture to the original tape, and voila! All of my toms work perfectly now!

I'll probably make a second post about this because it seems a lot of people have had this issue and it can be fixed once and for all with a screwdriver and some tape!

Hope this helps!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 03:17:48 PM »
...and of course, there's THAT fix  :)

I believe it's been posted before (similar issue, similar fix) just couldn't remember or bother searching.. but in any case glad you've got a working kit! Enjoy!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 05:15:45 PM »
Shoot, and here I thought I had been thorough in my forum searches!

Regardless, thank you, and best to you as well!  :D