Author Topic: Can't Decide DM6 or DM5 Pro for a 15yr old somewhat new drummer  (Read 5233 times)

I am looking to purchase either the DM5 Pro or the DM6 for my 15yr old son. He is learning but also starting to play more at church and we are looking to get him a set he can practice with at home. What is the difference between these two set and why if the DM6 is newer is it cheaper than the DM5? is it because it has less sounds? The DM6 is suppose to have a newer sound module, but would i be limiting him by getting it over the DM5 Pro. Money is a slight factor otherwise I might have gone with a Roland like my church drummer recommended. Any advice would be helpful. He will mainly use it to play along with me (i play keyboards) and with his Ipod/MP3. Thanks

Offline Hellfire

Re: Can't Decide DM6 or DM5 Pro for a 15yr old somewhat new drummer
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »
I am looking to purchase either the DM5 Pro or the DM6 for my 15yr old son. He is learning but also starting to play more at church and we are looking to get him a set he can practice with at home. What is the difference between these two set and why if the DM6 is newer is it cheaper than the DM5? is it because it has less sounds? The DM6 is suppose to have a newer sound module, but would i be limiting him by getting it over the DM5 Pro. Money is a slight factor otherwise I might have gone with a Roland like my church drummer recommended. Any advice would be helpful. He will mainly use it to play along with me (i play keyboards) and with his Ipod/MP3. Thanks
I would think either one would be fine. The DM5 Pro kit is a little heavier build than the DM6 kit. Yes, the DM6 is newer but there is a lot more tweak-ability to the DM5 that isn't on the DM6. Something to keep in mind. Neither the DM5 or the DM6 have what's called a variable hi-hat controller (Roland's do). One of the reasons Roland is more expansive than the Alesis products you are looking at. What this means is the Alesis can only handle "open" and "closed" hi-hat positions, plus foot chick (closing with your foot). A variable hi-hat would give you everything between open and closed. To most this isn't a big deal (especially for new drummers), but some it is a deal breaker. That's way I put that out there. If you want variable hi-hat control with an Alesis product you will have to go with the DM10 Pro Kit or the USB pro kit (which you must use your computer with to get the sounds). I hope that helps. Let us know what you decide.:)

Re: Can't Decide DM6 or DM5 Pro for a 15yr old somewhat new drummer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the info Hellfire, I decided to go with the DM6. At this point I don't know if the variable hi-hat is a major issue especially since he is still somewhat a beginner. The drum sounds (kits) that come with the DM6 are less but should be enough for what he will be doing. Most drummer at my church that use the Roland set usually only use about 5 or 6 sound kits. I was more unsure of which drum heads would be better for him (rubber - DM6, or the ones on the DM5), but based on my resources I decided to go with the DM6. Thanks for your input.