Author Topic: The Raper circuit  (Read 7725 times)

Offline Pier

The Raper circuit
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »
Hi,

in issue no.1 of 'Digital Drummer' I found an interesting solution to an old problem I have (and It seems that I'm not the only one...)

Anyone ever tried to build a so-called "Raper Circuit" (named after Keith Raper -- the circuit that allows to use two single pads or a stereo one on Yamaha "switch-type" stereo inputs)?
Is it easy to make? (I'm not so fond about electronics...)
Any hints and/or tips?  Any comment will be appreciated, thanks!

Offline Guinness

Re: The Raper circuit
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 03:04:06 AM »
I don't know what that is...  I guess I ought to look at the dd issue to learn.

Offline Pier

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:27:16 AM »
I can understand; the problem infact should be note just to the ones who own a DTX series drum module.
I own a DTX 2.0 "old" module that I found simply fantastic!

Basically, the module's inputs are stereo, but if you connect a Yamaha pad (like the TP80s), you can assign a sound for the head and one for the rim -- if you connect any dual zone pad (a piezo for the head and one for the rim)... you get just the head sound  :(.
Keith Raper had the problem with a newer module, I think a DTXpress.
He's an electronic genius, so he devised a little circuit that everyone can make at home with little knowledge (...he says...)

The problem in my case is THE KNOWLEDGE: I think I'll try to buy and solder the few components needed after Easter... just wanted to ask if for anyone that was an already note operation!
Anyway... I'll let you all know how this will go...
Cross my finger...

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:08:21 AM »
Pier,

There's a pretty good thread on the vdrums forum about this (with diagrams):

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33816
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:25:23 PM »
Pier,

There's a pretty good thread on the vdrums forum about this (with diagrams):

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33816

Thanks a lot DeeDubs, lots of stuff to read and seriously ponder over there!
I knew I was not the only one...
I'll give it a read of course; in the meantime this thread is still open, so, whoever wishes to contribute, is welcome...!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »
I think the raper circuit is cool but I also find it totally unnecessary. If you need a switch make a switch. The raper circuit is not cut and dry and many have had just so so results. It is very easy to make a thin switch. Here is an article that I wrote about this. Keep in mind that it has more uses than just a choke switch. It can be adapted for any type of triggering. ;)

Get a Choke Hold (eCymbal Choke Switch)