Author Topic: Homemade Triggers  (Read 1471 times)

Homemade Triggers
« on: April 05, 2022, 08:10:46 PM »
These are the triggers I made to utilize the extra tom and cymbal inputs on my Command Mesh Kit.

I used prewired pressure sensitive 1.250" triggers that I ordered off of Amazon. A five pack was like 10 bucks CAD. I also ordered a ten pack of dual pole inputs for about the same price.

The base is made from 1\8" steel and the shells are made out of 4" muffler tube. I used a standard 1.5" rack mount. The inside is made with a 2" car wash sponge with the lowest density I could find. I epoxied the trigger to an aluminum disk cut just small enough to NOT touch the sides of the shells. The skin is made from a high density foam mouse pad, and everything is spray glued together, which keeps it together but also allows easy tear down if I have to replace a component.

They work really well so far, small enough to fit anywhere on the kit but big enough to not miss strokes. I mainly use them to trigger song starts or sound effect samples. The pressure sensitive triggers come in handy when I do want to use them for a temporary drum or cymbal. I have had no issues with crosstalk, but did have to set the volume setting in the module a little higher than normal, assuming the unknown quality of the triggers may be the reason for this.

Re: Homemade Triggers
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 01:39:15 AM »
Sorry, but this is ugly as hell.

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 06:46:38 AM »
Great idea. Love to see people make their own mods. I just wish there was something I could watch to understand how to do it.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 11:46:23 AM »
There are a lot of edrum mods uploaded to youtube
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 03:33:38 PM »
I was wondering is it possible to couple a microphone to a jack from a loom and then use the mic as an audio trigger ?

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 03:59:51 AM »
It can be done, but it is a pain and less effective than a piezo....

Years ago, I ran sound for a band and I triggered the drummers kick drum thru the insert on the boards kick mic channel. I ran it thru a gate and then into an original Yamaha DTX.