Author Topic: Samplepad 4: can it send midi to a drum module?  (Read 204 times)

Samplepad 4: can it send midi to a drum module?
« on: March 01, 2024, 07:06:37 AM »
Hi.
I was considering to add a samplepad 4 to my mimic pro, just for some one shot sample that I need with my band.

Is it possible?
The samplepad 4 has just a square usb while the older versions had a midi port.

I tried to search midi cables with square usb port.
Nothing that I?m aware was found.
And also not sure it was the correct way to do it.

Any help/suggestion?

Thanks

Offline Chaser

Re: Samplepad 4: can it send midi to a drum module?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 11:27:56 AM »
Hi.
I was considering to add a samplepad 4 to my mimic pro, just for some one shot sample that I need with my band.

Is it possible?
The samplepad 4 has just a square usb while the older versions had a midi port.

I tried to search midi cables with square usb port.
Nothing that I?m aware was found.
And also not sure it was the correct way to do it.

Any help/suggestion?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

The Samplepad 4 does send receive MIDI over USB (attached)
There are USB Hosts that convert to 5 PIN MIDI then you just chain to whatever hardware you are using...there are also USB Hosts/Hubs so you can connect multiple USB MIDI hardware to one USB Port.
What you have to watch for is Hardware with Class Compliant drivers is USB1.0/1.1...USB2.0 Hardware usually has separate drivers that have to be installed to use them and require "High Speed USB" Boxes.
(The Mimic doesn't have a USB "B" Port...so no USB Midi.)

Here are a couple examples in $50-60 range..depends on purchasing Direct or not.
The USB MIDI HOST uses a USB power type connection..like a phone charger
The HIGH SPEED USB MIDI HOST uses a Power supply.

The DOREMIDI site lists all compatibility.

DOREMIDI USB MIDI HOST (UMH-10...Class Compliant Hardware)

DOREMIDI HIGH SPEED USB MIDI HOST (UMH-21...Driver Type Hardware)

If you don't want to order/wait from China..they are also on Amazon

AMAZON

USB MIDI HOST

USB HIGH SPEED MIDI HOST

Keep in mind if buying new..Samplad 4 +  USB MIDI Host is about the same cost as purchasing other more current Multipads (Samplepad 4 is going on 10 years) and you'll have to figure out where to place the box.There are other options with more pads and 5 PIN MIDI like the AVATAR Multipad and then you have just one piece of hardware to deal.They both use the same mounting and older Tech typically has longer load times for samples (also depends on file size etc).
Some of the Multipads like the one linked..have an Editor and typically with 5 PIN MIDI (not always) in the hardware there is the option to receive Program Changes.some just INC or DEC (up or down Kit Lineup)..more of the current hardware allow the number of the kit so if the Mimic sends PC you could also change kits simultaneously on both.

If you haven't considered it or not possible as you currently all the  triggers/zones , you could split the inputs on the module and use the rim zones and mount Roland BT-1 ($100 ea) to the toms..add a clamp/ L-rod to the rack etc.

You could also have Samplepad host the samples and the audio from the Sample pad through the Mimic..aux inputs ?..use a small mixer for both?

EDIT:
Added Links..image
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 12:13:22 PM by Chaser »

Re: Samplepad 4: can it send midi to a drum module?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 04:18:41 PM »
Damn!

I really thank you for the really precise reply!

It helps me immensely!