Author Topic: STRIKE Module Failure  (Read 637 times)

Offline Chaser

STRIKE Module Failure
« on: November 24, 2021, 01:59:23 PM »
I have a module I keep at my Studio Desk for creating kits so I don't have to run back and forth to a Kit.
This morning as I reached across the desk to adjust an audio interface I noticed the STRIKE Module was radiating high heat..even though it had been off for days..a push of the power button and nothing..no lights no screen no boot.
I had to let it cool down for a couple hours.. disassembled to diagnose/trouble shoot and check for anything obvious and noticed the main power board and some of the other boards were missing mounting screws and one ribbon clip is broken (This was an Alesis Certified refurbished Module).
The power button is on a separate board with all the individual outputs ..the power input is on a separate board with all the trigger inputs and the Main power board is also a separate board..all connected by ribbons.
The main board heats up rather quickly after plugging in the power regardless if the board with the power button is connected or not..with all boards disconnected including screen..just the main and the power input board the main board heats up and hot enough to burn if left connected.
I am posting to track if it happens to anyone else and I don't have the equipment to diagnose/repair these types of boards the main board isn't available anywhere  (may check with Analog Devices)I will attempt contacting support about a repair center but I am not anticipating any response and this module will most likely end up being a parts donor.
I will post if any progress or solution.
I have between 600-1,000 hours on the module...this module is also the version that has large ferrite magnets around each ribbon

EDIT:
pics attached..
The area circled is next to the connector ribbon and heats up quickly.
The red wire runs from the headphone jack to the power input/ground..looks like an after thought.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 03:10:39 PM by Chaser »

Offline Chaser

Re: STRIKE Module Failure
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 10:04:30 AM »
I received an answer from Technical Support and RA.
The Main board is available through InMusic..(IF in stock)... the Main Board..101011342007-A PCB Main Assembly
at a cost of $258.00 + tax + shipping..so around $300.00... 1/3 the cost of a new module..2/3 the cost of a Factory Refurbished (occasionally available at $479.95) or depending on labor and components (unknown how many SMD were affected by short circuit) taking to a repair shop may be similar to the cost of the new board..
Since the Main Board receives power constantly and not after the power button/switch..I recommend unplugging the module when not in use.

Quote attached

Offline Hellfire

Re: STRIKE Module Failure
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 10:31:39 AM »
Good to know. Thanks for the update on this issue. I think it is always a good idea to unplug any device that uses a wall wart and doesn't have a true system power switch ("stand by" or "on"). Or at the very least have the device plugged into it's own power strip that can be switched off/on.