Author Topic: Strike and edrumin 4 compatible?  (Read 451 times)

Strike and edrumin 4 compatible?
« on: November 24, 2021, 08:33:33 PM »
Picked up an edrumin 4 to expand my Strike pro se. The way everything I read seemed the strike is compatible but I am not so sure now. Manufacturer said if the module had midi in then it should work. Has anyone had experience/ success using the edrumin with the strike module? If so any input would be great. THANKS!

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike and edrumin 4 compatible?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 08:53:17 PM »
Picked up an edrumin 4 to expand my Strike pro se. The way everything I read seemed the strike is compatible but I am not so sure now. Manufacturer said if the module had midi in then it should work. Has anyone had experience/ success using the edrumin with the strike module? If so any input would be great. THANKS!

The STRIKE Module isn't expandable..you can't add additional triggers and assign Voices/samples..you can only split the existing ones ,usually the toms and the rim is used for additional trigger.
You just match up the MIDI channel and the MIDI notes which are under the Voice menu.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 05:39:08 PM »

The STRIKE Module isn't expandable..you can't add additional triggers and assign Voices/samples..you can only split the existing ones ,usually the toms and the rim is used for additional trigger.
You just match up the MIDI channel and the MIDI notes which are under the Voice menu.
Does the Strike module have GM mode? If yes, then the edrumin can add GM table instruments. I do this on a Crimson ii set.

If not, then the edrumin can be connected to the strike module and chained into a vst. That way one could expand the Strike, but you will not use the module to produce sounds.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 10:17:03 AM »

Does the Strike module have GM mode? If yes, then the edrumin can add GM table instruments. I do this on a Crimson ii set.

If not, then the edrumin can be connected to the strike module and chained into a vst. That way one could expand the Strike, but you will not use the module to produce sounds.

The only Alesis module that was truly expandable..meaning you can add triggers/zones an assign onboard sounds/Voices..was the original DM10..it was capable of adding an additional 35 zones to the existing 22 zones so you had a total of 57 zones.

Original DM10 expansion

All drum modules are TMI (Trigger to MIDI Interfaces) most have the Local Control Option which sends the MIDI to the internal sound generator(Local Control ON)..or external thru USB or 5 Pin Din.(Local Control OFF).
Some of the modules will send MIDI even if Local Control is set to ON (Internal)
The STRIKE Module does not have Local Control.. GM Mode or a GM section (aka percussion)
The MIDI note assignment (Under Voices) is the same note for MIDI IN and OUT.

If you are using Software/Vst then you can use anything that sends MIDI (modules,keyboards etc) into the STRIKE module and set MIDI to pass thru..Utility>MIDI>PASS THRU ON any duplicate MIDI notes assigned on the modules will trigger the same instrument in the Software/Vst so you will have to re-map to match the Keymap in the software you are using.
Most  Software/Vst was not originally intended for E-Drum use and over the years developers added (MIDI) Key map presets for Brands/Models that converts E-Drum module default mapping to the Software/Vst default mapping without having to remap the module.You'll notice keymaps are Piano Rolls.
Some Software/Vst do not have E-Drum maps like EZDrummer 2 which doesn't allow remapping of the kits and requires different mapping for each Kit so you have to map the module(s) to each Kit Key map.One thing to be aware of is unlike a lot of the other Alesis modules (Medeli re-brands)..the STRIKE Module also has the option to send Choke Notes.If you are using a Software/Vst and another instrument triggers when you choke the cymbal go into Utilities> and set CYMBAL CHOKE to NOT SENT.Some Software/Vst had/have issues with Hi Hat and also Cymbal choke.Some Software/Vst require choke notes to be sent and don't recognized aftertouch.Superior Drummer SD3 has fixed a number of the choke problems for Roland Poly aftertouch..2Box and the Nitro/Surge with v3.1.3 and STRIKE choke support in v3.1.5.
The issue with using the GM Bank is you have no control over the Instruments which were standardized as a requirement for MIDI manufacturers,you can access/change the different GM Kit banks if you expand with something that sends Program Changes (0-127) like the Trigger I/O,DDTI and change kits with a pedal.With a good understanding of how they work you can set up multiple kit combinations between the Digital Kits and the GM Kits and change them on the fly with a pedal.
I started a Topic for the GM Section years ago , but there didn't seem to be much interest/response or I would add the different .syx files etc to program the Trigger I/O and added the DM10 MKII Pro (Medeli DD680) which also has a GM Section.
The eDRUMin has Program Changes but they are limited and I believe for its own internal use

COMMAND/CRIMSON/II/DM10 MKII Studio/FORGE/NITRO/SURGE-Instrument/Voice Stacking

Developers/Manufactures (including Roland) over the last few years have stopped including a GM Section in their modules and those that do still have it don't list it in their manuals/user Guides which is why you'll see I have added all the Medeli manuals in a number of posts to it's Alesis counterpart.
The Medeli manuals still list the GM Section..Kits/Backing instruments etc.