Author Topic: SR18 drum set Aux output not saving, returns to MAIN  (Read 352 times)

SR18 drum set Aux output not saving, returns to MAIN
« on: October 26, 2021, 04:47:16 PM »
Hi, I have my SR18 set up to use the AUX output. My problem; When I change a user Drum Set output from MAIN to AUX then save the drum kit, the setting does not stay. After going to another drum set and returning the one I changed, the output reverted back to MAIN. Shouldn't this be saved? Any ideas as to what I am missing or should be doing? Thanks!

Offline Chaser

Re: SR18 drum set Aux output not saving, returns to MAIN
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
Hi, I have my SR18 set up to use the AUX output. My problem; When I change a user Drum Set output from MAIN to AUX then save the drum kit, the setting does not stay. After going to another drum set and returning the one I changed, the output reverted back to MAIN. Shouldn't this be saved? Any ideas as to what I am missing or should be doing? Thanks!

I haven't had a SR drum machine in a lot of years but one thing to rule out is the SR-18 does not have a replaceable battery for the memory like the SR-16.

Are you doing all the save steps?..per page..SAVE/COPY..then REC?
Are you assigning the individual pads outputs?

*By  default,  pad  sounds  are  output  through  the  Main  connections  on  the  rear  of  the  unit.   
However, you also have the option of outputting individual pads through the Aux connection. 
Please note that the Bass sounds can only be output as a group; in other words, all Bass sounds will either be output through the Main or Aux connections.

To change a pad?s output assignment:
 1. Select  the  sound set  which  you  would  like  to edit by pressing DRUM, PERC or BASS.

2. Press  the  pad  (the  display  will  show  the  pad number).

3. Use the INC/DEC buttons, Value Dial or number  buttons  (1  chooses  the  Main  output pair, 2 selects the Aux output pair)
User Guide pg 28

SAVING YOUR DRUM SETS 
After changing parameter settings it is important to save the Drumset otherwise your settings will not be retained.   

1.To save your set, press and hold the SAVE / COPY button.
The display shows SAVE SET?, the currently selected  Drum  Set number (location), and a two-digit 
number that?s the same as the currently selected Drum Set.You will notice the REC LED begin to blink.

2. To save the  Drum Set to the current location, press REC. 

3. To  save  the  Drum  Set to  a  different location,  enter  the new  Drum  Set  number  with the INC/DEC 
buttons, number buttons (allowable range is 00-99), or the DATA dial.

4. Finally, press REC to save to the selected location.   

If you were editing a Preset Drum Set and want to save it, you will be given the option to save it to a User Drum Set since you cannot overwrite a Preset Drum Set. This technique can also copy one Drum Set to a different Drum Set.
Also, remember that if you change Patterns before saving your Drum Set, all of your edits will be lost.
User Guide pg 29

EDIT: Added Link

SR18 REFERENCE MANUAL
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:36:49 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 07:28:17 AM »
Thanks for the detailed reply! I do have the manual and read the sections you have mentioned previously. I also followed your the steps you provided just to be sure I wasn't missing something.

In my case, I am outputting the Bass drum (Pad 1) to AUX and changing it from MAIN.
The bass Drum goes to one channel on my mixer and the remaining drum set pads go to another channel.
I save the user drum set per the manual by holding down the SAVE/COPY and then pressing REC. After doing this, it works perfect.
When I change sets and return to my drum set, the output once again shows MAIN.

I would think pad 1 should still be set to AUX for that drum set, but unfortunately it does not (I did send an email to Alesis support regarding this quite some time ago, and received a reply saying they would get back to me within 72 hours, but unfortunately they never did). I would be curious to hear from others who have an SR18, but it looks to me that this may just be the functionality of the SR18.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »
SOLUTION FOUND: In order to save and keep the AUX output setting regardless of the drum set used, you must go STSTEM SETUP, then change SET MODE to MANUAL (as opposed to PATTERN). Once you do this, save your settings in the usual manner. If this is not done, your drum set output will return to MAIN each time.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 03:31:19 PM by ramoore »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »
I found the solution to my problem: In order to save and keep the AUX output setting regardless of the drum set used, you must go STSTEM SETUP, then change SET MODE to MANUAL (as opposed to PATTERN). Once you do this, save your settings in the usual manner. If this is not done, your output settings will return to MAIN each time a different drum set is called up.

Happy to hear you figured it out and thanks for posting it !
A lot of posters find solutions but don't always post it for others/future reference