Author Topic: DM10 flash write error, update the sound ROM!  (Read 643 times)

herblahbleh

DM10 flash write error, update the sound ROM!
« on: August 21, 2021, 09:48:33 AM »
Hi All, I've been scouring search results here and trying everything but am about close to giving up!

I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the firmware on my DM10 (DM10X Mesh Kit).  All updates went fine, piece of cake, up until the sound rom which stopped at 47%.  The DM10 starts updating then display says "Flash write error!" with the 47% progress bar.  The DM10 Updater software doesn't show an error, it just stops progressing at 47% (75.3MB of 158.3MB).

I've tried a bunch of times and it's the same result - it stops at the exact same spot every time, this is using a USB cable in to the DM10.
I tried using 3 different PC's, with no luck.
I've tried 2 different USB cables, no luck...

I bought a MIDI cable and used MIDI-OX to try and upload that way, but...
a) When I try to LOAD the syx file in MIDI-OX, the app starts churning through a whole bunch of hex codes or whatever it's doing, but it goes on and on and eventually the app stops responding.
b) When I try to SEND the syx file (without trying to load it first, as above) - I select the syx file to send, the DM10 display changes from "waiting" to "Waiting MIDI In" which indicates it's sensed something but the progress bar doesn't move.  MIDI-OX's output window is flashing up a whole bunch of hex code stuff... The MIDI cable has an "out" light that flashes so it seems like it's trying to send data to the unit but it will go like this for days then MIDI-OX seems to stop progressing... I'm new to the whole "mess around with MIDI" thing...

I've downloaded the update package from the Alesis site again, but I get the same result.  The behaviour indicates to me that the syx file is corrupt or something (the way it stops at the same spot every time and on different PC's) but I expect I should be able to trust the official software download, also can't find a copy anywhere else to try!

Would really appreciate your support because it seems like it should be OK to fix it!  When I start the DM10 normally, it comes up with "Fatal error, verifying..." then seconds later it changes to "Please update the sound rom!".  Because I can get in to the update mode, I am confident there's a way to solve this..??

Many thanks!!

herblahbleh

Re: DM10 flash write error, update the sound ROM!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 04:48:26 PM »
For what it's worth, I realised there are update files that seem to be hosted here, so I grabbed them but get the same result where it stops at 47%... so updates sourced from Alesis and here, starts to indicate my DM10 could be the problem - maybe corrupted flash memory that won't let it load the complete sound rom...

I'm not giving up - running via USB (instead of MIDI cable) with MIDI-OX now, have bumped up buffers to try and resolve an out of memory error I got in MIDI-OX a couple of times... fingers crossed.  MIDI-OX seems to transfer a hell of a lot slower over USB than the old Alesis updater...

Also tried running the Alesis updater in Windows XP compatability mode but no change in results... considering this was an optional update, it will suck if I can't get this to accept the sound rom and work again...

herblahbleh

Re: DM10 flash write error, update the sound ROM!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 08:15:21 PM »
Flash write error at 47% again - this was using MIDI-OX to transfer the sound rom via USB - it took overnight, so heaps longer than the Alesis updater (which only takes a few minutes)...

I will try again tonight with the MIDI cable instead of USB, but this all seems to be narrowing in on a memory issue with the DM10 unit itself - it was working fine until I tried the update, so frustrating!