Author Topic: Forge Advanced module vs Command Advanced Module  (Read 1206 times)

Forge Advanced module vs Command Advanced Module
« on: August 16, 2021, 02:36:10 AM »
Does anyone on the list know if the Firmware can be flashed or replaced by a chip in a Forge Module, to give all fuctions of the command Module ?
I was under the assumption that these 2 modules were identical, but it now appears they may not be.  I can not get a 2 zone Nitro Tom to work for rim shots even though cable to it is a TRS.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated

Offline Chaser

Re: Forge Advanced module vs Command Advanced Module
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 10:43:18 AM »
Does anyone on the list know if the Firmware can be flashed or replaced by a chip in a Forge Module, to give all fuctions of the command Module ?
I was under the assumption that these 2 modules were identical, but it now appears they may not be.  I can not get a 2 zone Nitro Tom to work for rim shots even though cable to it is a TRS.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated

When the rebranded Medeli DD650 modules first came out (Command/Crimson/II/DM10 MKII Studio/Forge) , the thinking was they were like the DM6 which had one version of firmware and multiple harnesses to get additional features/zones..later it was confirmed by Alesis (in the now defunct Alesis get Satisfaction Forum) that all the modules based on the Medeli DD650 use the same DB25 harness/snake and different firmware for each module.
The Forge has single zone toms (see cut sheet attached) and cymbals even though the MIDI chart showed rim and edge zones and a triple zone ride..the Firmware was for rubber pads..not mesh..

Can I use my own pads with the Forge module?

"While other standard or dual-zone single pads will likely work, the Forge module is configured to respond optimally with the included drum kit."

Alesis Forge Kit - Frequently Asked Questions

The Forge has since been discontinued and all information removed from the Alesis site including legacy.
I made it a habit over the years to archive

Alesis Forge Kit

Alesis Kit Comparison Chart

I would turn off the head zone (turn sensitivity all the way down) in the modules settings and see if you can raise the Head-Rim-ADJ..it may not be activated and show -- (you can't adjust Rim Sens) then see if you can get the rim to trigger and show up on the menu screen...then raise the Rim Sens
and make adjustments..It may or may not activate.I sold off all the DD650 modules I had for R&D ..kept a few of the Crimson as I consider it the best version of the re-branded DD650 (Dual Zone Hi Hat...standard MIDI notes etc)

There is no Firmware update/upgrade or the ability to load different firmware....to upgrade you purchase a module with more features etc..

EDIT:
Attached Forge Cutsheet/Specs
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:12:39 AM by Chaser »

Re: Forge Advanced module vs Command Advanced Module
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 01:36:57 AM »
Thank you for the reply Chaser, I will try what you said in your reply.
Sure would of been nice to know this before I purchased the Forge Module to upgrade my Nitro Module.  Just about everywhere you go online people are saying that the Forge/Command/Crimson advanced Modules are all the same.  At least my Nitro Module could handle Dual zone Toms, even though they just gave you single zone ones with the kit.