Author Topic: Need speaker advice for Surge Mesh kit  (Read 1598 times)

Need speaker advice for Surge Mesh kit
« on: July 22, 2021, 07:49:13 PM »
I’d like to have speakers for my Surge Mesh kit so I can play without headphones sometimes.

I tried connecting some cheap Logitec powered computer speakers ($11). The volume was too low and worse, all of the sounds of the drums were way off - so much that it’s not acceptable.

If I connect a midrange set of speakers with a subwoofer (~$50) will they push decent volume and quality?

Or do I need something edrum specific or even an amplifier before the speakers?

My goal is to have crisp, clear sounds at a volume that is similar to TV in a living room. I don’t play in a band or onstage so I don‘t need or want to pay for a professional quality system.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

Offline Chaser

Re: Need speaker advice for Surge Mesh kit
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 12:56:12 AM »
I’d like to have speakers for my Surge Mesh kit so I can play without headphones sometimes.

I tried connecting some cheap Logitec powered computer speakers ($11). The volume was too low and worse, all of the sounds of the drums were way off - so much that it’s not acceptable.

If I connect a midrange set of speakers with a subwoofer (~$50) will they push decent volume and quality?

Or do I need something edrum specific or even an amplifier before the speakers?

My goal is to have crisp, clear sounds at a volume that is similar to TV in a living room. I don’t play in a band or onstage so I don‘t need or want to pay for a professional quality system.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

Drum amps have come along way in the past couple years...$50.00 isn't going to do it..on average $200-$300.00 and up unless you find a used one.
Look for drum amps that are specifically Voiced for drums in the 20Hz - 30kHz range...majority of PA,keyboard,guitar,bass amps etc aren't in that range and the ones that are don't have the speakers voiced for drums.
Most of the newer drum amps will be in the 50Hz -20Khz range like the Alesis/Simmons etc...and specifically voiced for drums.
There are Topics and Reviews etc..use the search on the upper left or check the usual places for product reviews.. youtube..Amazon  etc.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »
FWIW, I bought a pair of mini Samson PA speakers (Expedition?) with stands although the speakers have that angle on one side so you could use them standalone and have them on the floor.. they were fairly inexpensive.. I think I paid about $79 per speaker and the stands are mini but sturdy and were about 100 for the pair. I was skeptical but tbh they kick ass esp in my smallish music room.. I've jammed with three friends with vocals, bass, two electric guitars and I was totally in line with their volume even at halfway and the sound was pretty decent for drums (I use my mixer to tweak the EQ somewhat). If I had the cash I would certainly buy a decent drum speaker or pair, as advised but this has done me fine (and so funny you mentioned the pc speakers, as I tried my semi-decent Logitechs way back when I had my first cheapy used ekit and yeah, they sucked big time and I probably blew them with the kick drum, hahaha, but it was a fun experiment at the time). I've also played my Alesis through my Mackie PA speakers and the sound was pretty darned good too, for my ears at least.

http://www.samsontech.com/expeditionseriesguide/

Update: my particular model of Expedition shows discontinued now.. maybe you'd find some on clearance somewhere.. if budget is a concern of course, as they're not perfect by any means.. but I've taken them to a few jams and they're small and portable, saves my back.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:20:28 AM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 03:04:02 PM »
I ended up buying an Alesis Strike Amp 8” from Sweetwater. So far so good. It makes my kit sound much better than my headphones did. The cymbals especially sound more real.

Installing took about 10 minutes. I used one double ended 1/4 inch TRS cable to connect to the Surge module.

I haven’t done much customizing yet. My plan is to run the amp at mid volume generally and adjust volume when playing via the drum module.