Author Topic: in advance....I tried  (Read 577 times)

in advance....I tried
« on: May 24, 2021, 08:32:51 AM »
I'm guessing this won't be the first time this question was posted, but after googling and trying a forum search...I drew a blank, probably because I'm not sure what the feature is called.

OK, so purchased the Strike Module this weekend, utterly blown away. I've been a roland V Drum user for years and seeing the ridiculous prices of the upper TD modules that seem to have a lot less features, $799 for this thing is just unreal.

One feature I can't get over is the one in question. The kits like the Dubstep one where, when you hit the hihat it seems to cycle through a sequential series of notes with each strike (some kits I think randomize the note or sample sequence with every hit). So, question, is that something you can build into a user kit? I can't seem to find anything in the manual. I'm looking to maybe have 5 or six individual one hit samples I can layer and assign to a trigger so that with each hit, the next sample in sequence sounds.

Thanks so much

Offline Chaser

Re: in advance....I tried
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 12:45:54 PM »
I'm guessing this won't be the first time this question was posted, but after googling and trying a forum search...I drew a blank, probably because I'm not sure what the feature is called.

OK, so purchased the Strike Module this weekend, utterly blown away. I've been a roland V Drum user for years and seeing the ridiculous prices of the upper TD modules that seem to have a lot less features, $799 for this thing is just unreal.

One feature I can't get over is the one in question. The kits like the Dubstep one where, when you hit the hihat it seems to cycle through a sequential series of notes with each strike (some kits I think randomize the note or sample sequence with every hit). So, question, is that something you can build into a user kit? I can't seem to find anything in the manual. I'm looking to maybe have 5 or six individual one hit samples I can layer and assign to a trigger so that with each hit, the next sample in sequence sounds.

Thanks so much

There are a few options to do this using the STRIKE EDITOR and how you create an instrument...
You can use an existing Preset Voice/Instrument and drag/drop into an existing Velocity layer...it will become a USER Instrument or create a New Voice/Instrument and put a sequence(s) in a  velocity range with a cymbal/drum sample so both sound and/or a sequence will only sound at specific velocities..this will also become a USER Instrument.

You can create a New Voice/Instrument using only the sequences and assign as layer B
If you want to use just sequences.. you can place all sequences in one velocity range without any drum samples and set to round robin and they will sound in order/change per each hit..or be more precise and place in a specific Velocity Range so it only sounds at that specific range/hit.
If you create using "Random" the samples will sound at random..
When you place them in the Editor the order in which they will play back will be top to bottom...you can rearrange in any order regardless of Velocity..
You can also pinpoint a range..or even just one velocity by selecting a velocity limit under the Voice menu in the module..

..it's all velocity switching

Using the STRIKE EDITOR open the drum kit you liked and look at how the samples were arranged/organized...you'll get a better idea..
Usually it's Layer B and the samples are from the Melodic folder...the Instruments are from the Melodic SEQ folder
There are a few kits with Melodic SEQ Instruments as layer B..check out the #77 Guitar Rock Kit...

There are a number of tricks you can do with the module that many don't use or ask about because it's not in the STRIKE Module User Guide.

EDIT:
Added download page links
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:03:22 PM by Chaser »

Re: in advance....I tried
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 06:38:54 PM »
Thanks so much for the detailed and thorough answer. Really appreciate it. Today's 'dear diary' entry will be 'learnt that the strike module has an actual editor'...not kidding  :)