Author Topic: Alesis Nitro ? New Module or VST  (Read 2304 times)

Alesis Nitro ? New Module or VST
« on: February 08, 2021, 05:19:54 PM »
Hello, New drummer here. I'm contemplating either new drums, new module, or VST. I'm a beginning basement drummer who will never record or play in a band. I like the Nitro but would really like to be able to do more with the high hat, ride and be able play cymbals swells.
The Alesis Nitro only has about 4 high hat  sounds and at best only triggers closed, slightly open, and open (plash is still a mystery to me).
I'm leaning toward just getting a new kit or at the least getting a Alesis Strike module or TD17 but want to research a all options first.

Would something like Superior Drummer allow me to get more out of an entry level kit (I know the sounds would be better) but is the play-ability better or is the Nitro module the big preventative here?

Re: Alesis Nitro ? New Module or VST
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 12:50:39 PM »
Its the Module settings you have to tweek. I use EZ drummer with superior  the sounds are better  but you have to tweek triggers and deal with if any latency issues I having issues with my crimson 2 keeps shutting off while playing good luck with your decision 8)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 09:09:38 AM »
Thanks mk69cam. Sorry for your troubles. Most likely will look at a new kit at this point. Like the Nitro / Alesis but seems Roland has their act together.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:31:59 AM »

Hello, New drummer here. I'm contemplating either new drums, new module, or VST. I'm a beginning basement drummer who will never record or play in a band. I like the Nitro but would really like to be able to do more with the high hat, ride and be able play cymbals swells.
The Alesis Nitro only has about 4 high hat  sounds and at best only triggers closed, slightly open, and open (plash is still a mystery to me).
I'm leaning toward just getting a new kit or at the least getting a Alesis Strike module or TD17 but want to research a all options first.

Would something like Superior Drummer allow me to get more out of an entry level kit (I know the sounds would be better) but is the play-ability better or is the Nitro module the big preventative here?

The Nitro cymbals are Single Zone with one Crash having Choke..
There is only so much you are going to be able to do.
With the Cymbals being single zone they will only send one MIDI note so you will not get the full benefit of software like SD3 especially with the Ride.
The Hi Hat will send HO MIDI Note #23 ,CC4 information is what determines the position of the pedal in software/Vst.
In the module there is only (1) Hi Hat 1/2 open sample and (2) Splash samples in the Sample base.

248 Standard half open
266 Standard Splash
267 Rock Splash

There are 7 Hi Hat "Combinations".
Combinations are just that...open/closed/pedal/splash etc and are not interchangeable. 

1) Standard
2) Pop
3) Rock
4) Jazz
5) Electronic
6) 808
7) House

The module is based off the Medeli DD512...the link will take you to a much more " in depth" manual with all the Kits/Instruments/Parameters/Voices etc etc listed.

As far as the Splash...as mentioned previously there is only 2 samples available...unknown if any of the combinations have a Splash or Half Open sample.
In order to assign/change a sample or edit you may have to get the pedal to splash first to show up on the menu screen
Some modules don't allow you to just scroll through for some triggers if they aren't being used or assigned to anything.

Hi-Hat "splash" Sensitivity

Controls how responsive the hi-hat "splash" effect is when you hit the pedal.
(To create this sound, tap your foot on the pedal but lift it up immediately instead of leaving your foot down.)

To adjust this setting, follow these steps:

Press Voice button to enter the Kit Selection page (if you are not already viewing it).
    Hit the pad whose settings you want to edit.
    Press Utility button to enter the available settings.
    S-S (Hi-Hat "splash" sensitivity) will be the sixth option after you press Utility button six times.
    Use the Left (<) and Right (>) buttons to adjust the function.
    To save the adjustments, Select the Voice button.
    Press SAVE button.
    Choose a user kit (between 25- 40).
    Press Save button again.

Alesis Nitro Kit - Adjusting Trigger Settings For Optimal Performance

Here is the MIDI mapping if going the Software/Vst route.
There are many Demo's Trials etc out there for every type of genre..most are Vst and require a Host or DAW..more information is available in the forum , use the search upper left..
SSD 5.5 FREE is still available if you want to experience a Vst and learn about MIDI mapping etc
It is fully functional includes one full kit and does not expire.

MIDI

Kick - 36
Snare - 38
Snare R - 40
Tom1 - 48
Tom1 R - 50
Tom2 - 45
Tom2 R - 47
Tom3 - 43
Tom3 R - 58
Tom4 - 41
Tom4 R - 39
Ride - 51
Crash 1 - 49
Crash 2 - 57
Hi-Hat O - 46
Hi-Hat HO - 23
Hi-Hat C - 42
Hi-Hat P - 44
Splash - 21

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 12:25:56 AM »
It seems that I have to manually assign the pads for the Alesis Nitro. If I use these pad assignments you listed, will this take care of my pads that seem a bit off? I really appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for help with mapping the Nitro in SSD5 (Free). I am using it with Studio One 4.

Lastly, do you recommend using old school 5 pin into an interface or straight USB into the computer? Is there any benefit one way or the other?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 01:19:11 AM »
It seems that I have to manually assign the pads for the Alesis Nitro. If I use these pad assignments you listed, will this take care of my pads that seem a bit off? I really appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for help with mapping the Nitro in SSD5 (Free). I am using it with Studio One 4.

Lastly, do you recommend using old school 5 pin into an interface or straight USB into the computer? Is there any benefit one way or the other?

The Nitro Mesh has exactly the same MIDI map as the DM10 MKII Pro except the MKII Pro has more dual zone triggers and a continuous/Variable Hi Hat..(more midi notes and CC4)

Using an audio interface with 5 pin usually results in faster RTL (Roun Trip Latency)...MIDI has a very slow baud rate..
Laptops are usually the worst when it comes to audio cards and you have to run a high buffer rate and the software/sound will suffer as the computer is using it's resources for processing the audio...we are talking just milliseconds but it adds up..I know users who spend a $1,000 dollars on a sound card just to get the latency down

The Alesis modules are "Class Compliant"..meaning you don't install separate drivers for them...the drivers are built in and install when connected.
Class Compliant drivers are USB 1.0-1.1..the shorter the cable the better...don't go longer than a 6 foot USB cable...not only does add to latency but it will "time out" communicating with the computer and users mistake that for USB port problems etc....so a little more latency than Roland or Yamaha.
Roland and Yamaha require separate drivers to be installed and usually they are USB 2.0.
The downside for that is you can't connect a Roland or Yamaha module to an iPad or a computer without an app or a driver.
MIDI 2.0 was introduced this past year so eventually it will start being implemented on hardware and software..

EDIT:
Attached SSD5.5 map for Alesis Nitro Mesh
Place the IOMap (attached) in SSD5Library > IOMaps.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:54:59 AM by Chaser »