Author Topic: A couple covers  (Read 746 times)

Offline Joker47

A couple covers
« on: February 06, 2023, 02:27:07 PM »
Hi all.

I've been a member here for a couple years now, and thought I'd share a couple covers I've been working on for a while.

I just turned 54, and have been using drumming as part of recovery from a 3 week coma since about mid-last year. So, if it looks a little geriatric at times, ya know why... :D :D

Side note for others: AC/DC has a brutal algorithm for it's copyright infringement scanning. (Or their parent company, anyway.) The song on Google drive was blocked on YouTube multiple times, even after raising the tone/speed of the song up a step.  ???

Always appreciate feedback.  :)
(Headphones for best results.)

J.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R69sHpQAzJYRRkQmSehNdi3oJGqSCHBL/view?fbclid=IwAR0aHPGEW85epkmDjhGrH4_Edv-BP58GeuFUmfVcx8pnTOb0HC41cAXkN3A

https://youtu.be/LurCp-HUjtE
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:41:47 PM by Joker47 »
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline AlanK

Re: A couple covers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 09:21:18 AM »
Fantastic, both recordings! Wow, beautiful kit (love the blue light too).. geez, double Strike modules? plus those GenZ cymbals (i think that's what they're called). Amazing setup and awesome playing brother. So glad you've recovered from your health issues (at least from the coma that you mentioned). Drumming keeps us active and sane and I'm sure it promotes health. Thanks so much for sharing and hope you keep getting well-er and beating those drums.. Boston.. man, love that band. Super job on the covers!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Joker47

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 01:09:36 PM »
Fantastic, both recordings! Wow, beautiful kit (love the blue light too).. geez, double Strike modules? plus those GenZ cymbals (i think that's what they're called). Amazing setup and awesome playing brother. So glad you've recovered from your health issues (at least from the coma that you mentioned). Drumming keeps us active and sane and I'm sure it promotes health. Thanks so much for sharing and hope you keep getting well-er and beating those drums.. Boston.. man, love that band. Super job on the covers!

Thanks man. Yeah, drumming has really helped with basic cardio and motor movement, both of which were pretty badly down after I got home. A lot better, and enjoyable to work on getting back to health again.

Thanks for the compliments. Both on the playing and kit. :)

Those are Zildjian L80 cymbal and hihat. (Low volume) I could never get the right feel/reaction with the regular electronic hihat's, and tried several. I got this idea off YT, and I love it. The larger L80 cymbal is just for cymbal swells. Another limitation of E-kits, and I don't use it a whole lot. :) Luckily, while I'm not in a housing position to have an acoustic kit, those L80's are not a problem at all, noise wise.

Those lights were a Christmas gift like 2 years ago and hadn't come up with a use. LOL

I got the second module when I started running out of "space". (Chaser explained what was happening.) I decided to just get another, split them between cymbals and toms, then have plenty of room to add anything else. :)

Thanks again, brother. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 01:33:57 PM by Joker47 »
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 10:52:22 AM »
I hear ya! Glad you're using drumming as both a physical health and mental health boost. I've been tempted to buy the low volume cymbals too but just haven't spare cash the last few years. I had one version of my DM10X when I was adding extra pads and cymbals and tired of splitting the cables ane using up rim voices where I bought a second module and it was cool.. eventually we needed to put together a set for jamming at my friend's so it and some of the pads and cymbals had to go and I was back to one module rendition. I had two 8" pads on a double post stand set above my hi-hats like I used to have when I was a teen, it was so cool and I didn't use them enough! Now they're gone :(
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Joker47

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 11:29:21 AM »
I had two 8" pads on a double post stand set above my hi-hats like I used to have when I was a teen, it was so cool and I didn't use them enough! Now they're gone :(

I had two extra pads above my hihats too, for a while. But was just never using one of them, so I removed it. I just have the one, and it does get used. :)

Just for fun:

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 01:45:19 AM »
Love the setup and your tight drumming! Great to see.

What a nice way to workout/recover, great to read you're getting back to health!

I've recently bought a second Strike Module too, and was wandering to do the same as you did; one for the cymbals, one for the drums. I've opted for one 'regular' setup and one with additions. So when I ever need to downsize and take one kit, I won't have to program it again. How's your setup working for you?

Greetz,
Cas
Alesis Strike Pro SE, 2x expansion (tom/2 cymbals), 2nd Strike Module, Alesis Strike Multipad, Behringer eurorack 1804x, Antd Redfire 10

Offline Joker47

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 08:40:51 PM »
Love the setup and your tight drumming! Great to see.

What a nice way to workout/recover, great to read you're getting back to health!
Thanks man. I really appreciate that. :)

I've recently bought a second Strike Module too, and was wandering to do the same as you did; one for the cymbals, one for the drums. I've opted for one 'regular' setup and one with additions. So when I ever need to downsize and take one kit, I won't have to program it again. How's your setup working for you?

I love it. I am not in a band or gigging or anything. Just playing and recording in my home office. So, it's always the same full set up. :)

I like the flexibility. I can add tons of things now if I want, and not run out of space. Both modules run into a mixer, then out to the Roland:Go Pro. I'll admit, not being a sound technician, and barely a drummer, tweaking the modules, mixers, and Roland gets to be a bit much. But, once it's set, it's a blast.

Just for fun:

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 10:02:01 AM »
I can really relate! I've been recording myself and the guys I jam with for a long time now but it's been and still is a HUGE learning curve, and especially as the drummer, it's hard to check levels on a mixer or in the camera settings, do all the editing and processing into a video.

I bought a Zoom Q8 video recorder because I was bummed with the sound quality using my cellcam, or action cam etc.. was so much work to record through a mixer into a DAW and line up the video later. So now my Zoom cam has the stereo onboard XY mics for the room (when playing with others in a jam) and then there's a pair of XLR or 1/4" inputs to add another pair of channels. So if I use my Alesis then I can have the drums (and a cover song if I want) go through my mixer, EQ it all there, then send it into the Zoom cam so that all I have to do is process the video that has the pair of wav files.

But still have times the sound or video sucks so it's a long process figuring out what works best. Again, it would be so much easier if I/we had someone else doing the audio and video recording so things could be adjusted on the fly and all we had to do is play our drums!

Offline Joker47

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 05:50:22 PM »
I bought a Zoom Q8 video recorder because I was bummed with the sound quality using my cellcam, or action cam etc.. was so much work to record through a mixer into a DAW and line up the video later. So now my Zoom cam has the stereo onboard XY mics for the room (when playing with others in a jam) and then there's a pair of XLR or 1/4" inputs to add another pair of channels. So if I use my Alesis then I can have the drums (and a cover song if I want) go through my mixer, EQ it all there, then send it into the Zoom cam so that all I have to do is process the video that has the pair of wav files.
To be honest, that even sounds like way more than I do. LOL
My modules go into the mixer, then out to the Roland GO:MIXER PRO, and out to my iPad. There's no mixing or changing after the recording. So, it try to get it to my headphones the same way someone else would hear it. (Like on stage or something. You can't remix it at that point. :) )
I don't jam with anyone in person, but I've just gotten started getting entire guitar parts from my friends asking to put drums to it. That's as close as I'm getting. :)

But still have times the sound or video sucks so it's a long process figuring out what works best. Again, it would be so much easier if I/we had someone else doing the audio and video recording so things could be adjusted on the fly and all we had to do is play our drums!
Geeyawd....every time I record....LOL I do keep trying to get it to a point where I'm pretty much just changing volume due to the MP3 I'm using. But yes, it would SO nice to have a sound engineer take care of it so we could just play....LOL

Just for fun: