Author Topic: Dual zone cymbal on tom4 input of Surge brain?  (Read 1396 times)

Dual zone cymbal on tom4 input of Surge brain?
« on: October 09, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »
Hi guys.  I have a DMPad 12" Dual Zone Crash Cymbal that I'm running into the Tom 4 extension input of my Surge kit and I can't get dual triggering out of it. I was expecting to set it for the bow and bell and this works for a dual zone pad.  I know input is fine because it works with an 8" dual zone pad but when I connect the cymbal, it only registers one midi note value.  Do the cymbals not work like the pads?  Are the 2 zone cymbals triggered differently than the pads?  I reached out to Alesis but am on day 3 of crickets.  I know the cymbal inputs are single zone but I'm not using those inputs for this.  I feel like there might be something wrong with the cymbal because I can't make sense out of how a dual zone cymbal would work if not like I'm describing. 

Offline Chaser

Re: Dual zone cymbal on tom4 input of Surge brain?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 11:09:52 AM »
Hi guys.  I have a DMPad 12" Dual Zone Crash Cymbal that I'm running into the Tom 4 extension input of my Surge kit and I can't get dual triggering out of it. I was expecting to set it for the bow and bell and this works for a dual zone pad.  I know input is fine because it works with an 8" dual zone pad but when I connect the cymbal, it only registers one midi note value.  Do the cymbals not work like the pads?  Are the 2 zone cymbals triggered differently than the pads?  I reached out to Alesis but am on day 3 of crickets.  I know the cymbal inputs are single zone but I'm not using those inputs for this.  I feel like there might be something wrong with the cymbal because I can't make sense out of how a dual zone cymbal would work if not like I'm describing.

Cymbals are PS...Piezo/Switch.(Switch for Bell and Edge)
The Tom 4 input is PP..Piezo/Piezo.
The Surge module doesn' have the ability to change trigger type (Piezo or Switch) for each zone.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
Thank you for clarifying! 

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 01:54:15 PM »
Thank you for clarifying!

The Nitro/Surge modules are based off the Medeli DD512-514.
Here is the link to a more indepth manual so you can get the most out of your module.It has the lists of all the Kits/Instruments/Patterns/Songs etc including the GM kits.(starting on pg 29)
They should be similar if not the same..

Offline korakios

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 05:53:33 PM »
If you skilled in soldering
http://www.hellfiredrums.com/alesis-dm10-pearl-redbox-velocity-switch-zone/

Or give the schematic to a local tech to make a cable for you  :)