Author Topic: hello.....dm6 to dm10 conversion  (Read 1273 times)

hello.....dm6 to dm10 conversion
« on: June 21, 2020, 03:15:01 PM »
greetings from sunny Puerto Rico

my name is Ed and I am in the process of converting my dm6 into a dm10.  i got the module and I'm changing the pads that are single zone to double zone. (the connections are not compatible with the toms)

let's see how it works.
very very
happy to have found this community

Re: hello.....dm6 to dm10 conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 01:55:21 AM »
Welcome Ed.

I did exactly this about 5-6 years ago.
I initially bought a DM6 then bought a DM10 module and cable snake.
I swapped out all the single zone pads for all dual zone pads.
I then bought new dual zone cymbals with chokes and added the triple zone ride cymbal.
I did remove the original DM6 kick pad and added 2 Yamaha KP 65 kick pads with a set of Pearl Demon Drive pedals.
Be careful because this has led me down the rabbit hole of constantly adding to my set up.
My current set up is 1 snare, 2 ride toms, 2 floor toms, (all dual zone), 2 chokable crashes, 1 triple zone ride and a 4th. chokable cymbal that I presently have set up as a splash but I change this to whatever I want.
I also added a Strike multipad mounted above the ride toms and an Alesis Sample Pad mounted below the ride toms. I then added a Yamaha DTXM12 multipad as a side board next to the floor toms.
I added an Alesis "realhat" pedal for the hi-hats which gives you variable hat levels instead of the DMhat pedal which came with the DM6 which is only open or closed. I use it for one of the multipads.
I added 2 more KP65 kick towers and a set of Trick BigFoot pedals for the multipad bass pads.
I added 1 more kick tower made out of a spare DM6 pad for the strike multipad that I have a "Drumnetics" magnetic pedal mounted on. This gives me 5 bass drums.
All of this is routed through a Behringher 24 channel mixer which I also have an effects processor routed through the boards Aux1 sends/returns to give me various effects such as flanger/phaser/reverbs etc.
On the main inserts to the mixer I have a 64 channel mastering EQ which allows me to tailor the sound out of the board.
Oh yeah, I also wash the DM 10 through Superior Drummer 3 which adds a whole new level of tweakability.
The mixer is routed out to an Alesis Transactive 400 drum amp but I mainly only use headphones.
Like I said, be careful that you don't fall down the rabbit hole like I did.
Enjoy your new DM10.

Powerhouse
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:19:20 AM by powerhouse »

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:48:12 AM »
Thank You for your response.
I can relate...I have 2 Roland Octapads waiting on the side until I complete the set.

I'm still using the DM Hat pedal and the cymbals from the DM6 but all my pads are the ones from the drum x mesh.  I have 5 mesh, double zone pads with the sensitivity knob.

At this moment I don't have any bass trigger or pedal.  I am waiting for a cable splitter to use the DM6 kick pedal on the kick trigger 2

I updated my module system files today to the latest software.

I plan on getting a real hat hh pedal after getting the old kick pedal working and after the hh, I plan to get a mesh kick pad with pedal.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:54:08 AM »
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Strike Pro module now that you can buy one stand alone.
The weakest link in my whole setup has always been the module. My fear was that if a pad piezo or cymbal quit working, I could get it back up and running pretty quick but if the module died, I'd be dead in the water until I could get it replaced. I wanted a Pearl Mimic pro but the cost is ridiculous. I could probably pick up a Yamaha or used Roland module but I figured since all my pads and cymbals are Alesis, with the exception of my Yamaha kick towers, there would be no compatibility issues. My plan is to use the Strike module and keep the DM10 module as a backup.
Even though I use Superior drummer 3 about 80% of the time, I do occasionally like to switch over to just the Alesis module and play around with it from time to time. With that in mind, I look forward to checking out all the kits in the Strike module. If they sound like the kits in the Strike multipad, I'll be a happy camper.

Powerhouse

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »
Good luck with the strike.

After the update to my module in happier, but I have a tiny problem with the output that I'm still checking.

At least DM10 modules are still available to buy on eBay...