Author Topic: Going on 2 years gigging!!!  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Dartanbeck

Going on 2 years gigging!!!
« on: February 28, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
Two weeks from now will mark my two year anniversary with my previous edition Alesis DM10X Mesh

I've had a good run of gigs this whole time and have yet to break or even blemish anything!

Granted, I pack them up nicely in cases and handle with care. I try not to "beat" on them like a monster smashing things. I use Armor-All cleaning wipes to keep them looking nice, which seems to not only remove any stick blemishes, but also keep the latex portions soft and pliable (cymbals) - and I have a Swiffer duster in my stick bag. Stuff cleans up so much nicer if one doesn't let it 'bake' onto the finish! LOL

I don't consider myself a light-hitter when the adrenaline's pumping and I'm gigging our 4 hour shows. I have made a conscious effort to 'try' to play a bit lighter on these - knowing that hitting them a lot harder isn't going to make them any louder - and I have a strong urge to keep these nice.

Man... my kit is still looking new! It plays great, sounds great with the stock module... I just Love this thing!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Going on 2 years gigging!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
We play a lot of gigs during the Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons, and slow down to about one or two per month in Winter. Quite a bit of gigging.

I absolutely love how portable this kit is.

The way I case up my pads makes any tear down or set up almost exactly a half hour. I recently bought two strips of industrial strength velcro to hold my rack in the folded position for transport - works like a freaking Charm!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 01:51:23 PM »
That is incredibly awesome and congratulations on the successful use of the DM10X gigging and taking such good care of it! I totally get the not smashing them to bits thing, I'm a fairly light player myself and even when we're pounding out a song in my jams I only ever get up to maybe 80% force (and we don't play anything too heavy.. maybe Surrender/Cheap Trick is the hardest hitting).

I'm sure people here would agree, it's been interesting reading about your exploits with your kit, making it transportable and all.. I'm sure you've shared all sorts of pics along the way but my memory fades with time.. you should post a couple more pics of this kit (and you) in action at some gig, or at least a pic or two of how it looks pre or post show for us all to admire again! (do you have a youtube channel, FB group or website for your band??)

Great hearing how happy you are with it all! May you have years and years more of satisfied drumming with it :)

DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
Thanks!
Yeah, I absolutely love this kit! I've borrowed my Singer's Alesis Sample Pad Pro and midi'd it In to my DM10 module and used it for extra cymbal sounds, effects, and other fun stuff. After a while I was fine without it, so right now I'm just back to the full DM10X Mesh kit, pumping through a lot of watts! :)

My goal now is to retire this kit to my home for practice, and get a new Strike Pro kit. Afterwards I'd love to add the new Strike Multipad to that! Oh Yeah!!! Really loving the capabilities of the Strike module that I'm seeing online!

I really need to get some new photos. The girl that took this one comes to most of our shows and takes a lot of pictures. I'll have to see if she can send me more. But I like this one. This place has Christmas lights all over the place year-round - just a fun party spot with excellent food!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:50:09 PM by Dartanbeck »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:43:06 PM »
One of my guitarists is amazing at manufacturing custom... anything, and is quite worldly at finding things.

When I first bought my DM10X Mesh kit, he asked me to try out a pair of cases that he had laying around for years. He and his company only used them for hauling folding chairs to and from product shows and such.

They're perfect!

I didn't have any foam to work with, but corrugated cardboard is used a lot in keeping things g-force safe, so I used that (doubled in thickness) to make the dividers, and glued black fabric over them. The Bass drum tower and Hi Hat pedal each have their own black pillow case.

I made partitions with some foam in place to both hold down the pads under them, and to hold the bells of the cymbals on top.

The DM10 module box has a hole cut in the bottom to accept the rack mount, then two pieces of foam hold the box high enough in the case to accommodate the mount peg that pokes out the bottom.

The cases are awesome! They each have two casters and molded in handles on the opposite end, so they can be pulled along like a dolly. But one thing I noticed when going through tight spots, while the case is upright, it easily travels perfectly sideways! If I can fit through, the case will follow, no problem, no hassle!

I still plan to revisit the cases a little. That same guitarist has found a whole bunch of flight-case foam, so I may make them more like guitar cases for my drums. These cases also allow for adaptable depth, so when I add another kit, I'll be able to add another partition to each case to hold the added pads and cymbals.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
My rack folds up nicely with the cable snake nicely strapped in place. When I get a second kit for expansion, I'll beef up this rack with the rack that comes with the new kit.

A King Size Flat sheet covers my precious drums in the studio when not in use ;)

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 02:47:05 PM »
In the studio, this first image shows the full DM10X Mesh from one angle

This next is the same image but I've highlighted the multi-clamped upside-down boom arm (originally included for Ride) holding the Hi Hat into place, and shows the rear left leg (originally rear right leg) of the rack, which is holding my mic boom where the Crash 2 is supposed to be mounted (but on the opposite side of the kit)

This is the full kit from another angle

This next is the same image but highlights that the Ride and Crash 2 have swapped positions and the Ride cymbal is on the Hi Hat arm. I've also highlighted the leg which now resides as the rear right of the rack. This one doesn't have the hardware holder top, hence why I swapped it, so my mic stand comes in from the same side I have always been used to.

Updated an earlier post with a live photo of the kit
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:52:28 PM by Dartanbeck »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »
The pictorial posts above were copied over from my post in the Alesis support forum.

I mention (above) 'beefing up' the rack when I buy another kit to add to this one.
I wanted to buy a Command Mesh kit and add the extra pads and rack pieces to this kit to make it more of a Monster kit. I'm not so sure I want to do that anymore. This DM10 module (no longer available new from Alesis) has a LOT of sounds, and I asked Bill R, from Alesis Support, if the Command can send individual midi out into this, and the answer is "Yes".

I understand that the Command cymbal pads might not be as tough as these, but they do look nice to me, and I don't have any 8" mesh pads - whereas the Command Mesh comes with a bunch of them along with those cool, smaller cymbals.

I just think that, if I do want to enlarge the scope of this kit, I'd love to go this route.

The biggest thing would be to decide on whether to midi or to simply use both module's outputs, which will be an easy decision once I have it all set up. I love the midi plan since my DM10 module has literally a bazillion sound options.

Toward the end of "Sweet Emotion", by Aerosmith - where it has a kind of a crashing airplane sound before the snare drum machine gunning, I trigger the DM10's Car Skid/Crash sound. The length of the sound is freaking perfect and it just sounds awesome!

For "Two Tickets to Paradise", by Tommy Tutone - I add random bongo hit to my hi hat, so I can articulate the bongos as I rock the main beat - it works out absolutely beautifully!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 03:16:33 PM »
I bought a second DM10 module used a couple years ago and had two extra pads and a couple cymbals.. the quickest way to get them all working with my DM10X was to patch the 2nd module into the line in of the first, I never had time to tinker with midi but it worked pretty well the easy way. Eventually we built up a kit at my friends with the 2nd module and a bunch of the spare pads and cymbals, bought a roland frame used and went to town.

I remember all those pics now, I'm going to look at all this again after work.. such an amazing rig and all the cases for transport.. ingenious. Ha, we do a Tommy Tutone song for fun, the Jenny Jenny one (867-5309?) .. love those guys.. hey, wait a minute, tho, didn't Eddie Money write Two Tickets to Paradise? Either way, fun song too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:19:21 PM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »
Ha, we do a Tommy Tutone song for fun, the Jenny Jenny one (867-5309?) .. love those guys.. hey, wait a minute, tho, didn't Eddie Money write Two Tickets to Paradise? Either way, fun song too.
Yeah! Busted in a brain-fart!!! LOL
Well, instead of fixing the original post... let's just leave this in here! ;)
Yeah, we do Jenny Jenny too.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
However, I've lately been thinking of getting the Strike Pro instead of building my DM10 into a Monster kit.

This would give me the Strike Module, which I think I'd really get along with, and the new pro pad range from Alesis - and afford me to keep this amazing kit at home to rock out on without having to tear it down all the time. I love that idea.

My wife tells me that she can't even hear it when I practice with my headphones on. Well... earlier last month, I took off my headphones and played just as hard as I was just practicing, only to discover that she's just being a total sweetheart! LOL

Thump smack smack thump... the pads' heads are utterly stealth. But the pounding of my foot on the pedals and thrusts into the cymbals, including the constant time-keep on the hi hat... yeah... this thing is heard! But it's still very quiet - especially compared to my incredibly loud, building shattering Yamaha Turbo-Tour kit! Man, my acoustic kit is freaking LOUD!

I love how I can actually warm up right on stage before a gig without being heard. While taps and foot hits do makes some sound, it can't be heard over even soft-playing jukeboxes or house sound.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »
This is freaking awesome! Cool... now I have another option to consider! Thanks!

I bought a second DM10 module used a couple years ago and had two extra pads and a couple cymbals.. the quickest way to get them all working with my DM10X was to patch the 2nd module into the line in of the first, I never had time to tinker with midi but it worked pretty well the easy way. Eventually we built up a kit at my friends with the 2nd module and a bunch of the spare pads and cymbals, bought a roland frame used and went to town.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
By the way... midi is really easy and powerful once you get used to it.
...and the DM10 module is wicked awesome for it!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
Hear you.. I've been using Addictive Drums for a couple of years so have a bit of midi experience.. and on and off tinkering in Ableton Live with the DM10 and Addictive Drums/Keys.. basic starting to record learning curve. I'm starting to vaguely remember I may have plugged that 2nd module into the first later on using the old fashioned midi DIN cable and mapped the extra pad and 2 crashes into unused midi notes.. in fact I'm positive I did that for a while too, just never took any pics but it also went fairly easily as far as I recall. Endless fun.. I can't wait to get a sample pad type of rig and try out your airplane noises and loads of percussion addons and dog barks etc

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 09:37:20 PM »
Rock On!!!
It's all incredibly fun!!!