Author Topic: Dm10 module opened yesterday, No sound at all.!!!  (Read 20255 times)

Dm10 module opened yesterday, No sound at all.!!!
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
Hi, I recived and opened a brand new Alesis Dm10 module yesterday..
Plugged in triggers and there where no sound at all... tried the metronome and sequences demo to see if there was something I had plugged wrong but NO luck.
I plugged in 4 different headsets to see if that was the problem, but still there is NO sound from anything I also tryed to reset the module to fabric setup..
I recently today updated everything possible from the Alesis site and nothing changes..

I also noticed that the buttons where slow as hell and i had to push them 4-5 times for them to react..

So what can I do?
Did I make the wrong decision buying the Alesis module?

Re: Dm10 module opened yesterday, No sound at all.!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
Hi, when you select a kit and press the "drum kit" button, you will see a lot of circles at the bottom of the screen, try hitting a trigger and see if any of them go black, this will show whether the module is triggering. If it is then check the obvious, you have got the headphone vol knob turned up?
    look in the manual and check the ouput level menue, also again pretty obvious I know, but have you turned the faders in both banks up?
   If its not triggering, check under the utility menue the global trigger sensitivity, you may need to set it higher. You didn't say what pads you are using?
     Let us know how you get on, there are so many people on here who will help you. Good luck!!  :) 

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply...
yes, I kind of checked it all... the only output volume adjustment I can find is the knob.. one for main out and one for headphones..
I thought the metronome button should give som sort of sound out, eighter through the headphone or the main out... but I was wondering about one thing.. when you push the metronome button, are you`re display changeing?

I`m an acustic drummer who plays with triggered bass drum and snare in some accations.. So I tried yesterday to hook it up to 3 Ddrum triggers, and nothing..
I tried to press "note chase" and than "ext trig " and the field where you choose what trigger to adjust went apecrazy.. just blinking like crazy..
That line with circles you mentioned shows I got 3 triggers connected, but in "ext trig" without "note chase" on,  the triggers I connected are at full peak when the sensitivity level is :05

Today I also tied to take a pad from the dm6 kit and plug it in, but same thing :(  There is no sound to anything..

Thanks for answers :)

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
Just try this, set the sliders and the headphone volume halfway, press the > (play) button, thats the one above the tap tempo button, do you get anything coming out?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply...
yes, I kind of checked it all... the only output volume adjustment I can find is the knob.. one for main out and one for headphones..
I thought the metronome button should give som sort of sound out, eighter through the headphone or the main out... but I was wondering about one thing.. when you push the metronome button, are you`re display changeing?

I`m an acustic drummer who plays with triggered bass drum and snare in some accations.. So I tried yesterday to hook it up to 3 Ddrum triggers, and nothing..
I tried to press "note chase" and than "ext trig " and the field where you choose what trigger to adjust went apecrazy.. just blinking like crazy..
That line with circles you mentioned shows I got 3 triggers connected, but in "ext trig" without "note chase" on,  the triggers I connected are at full peak when the sensitivity level is :05

Today I also tied to take a pad from the dm6 kit and plug it in, but same thing :(  There is no sound to anything..

Thanks for answers :)

Did you buy this DM10 used? If so, are you sure you have the correct power supply? If you have the correct power supply and you bought it new, you need to call Alesis because your module sounds like it is fried.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »
Just try this, set the sliders and the headphone volume halfway, press the > (play) button, thats the one above the tap tempo button, do you get anything coming out?

Hi, yes I tried the play button.. but still nothing.. :(

Offline Jermdog

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »
Page 4 of the manual (check the bold settings below):

You may have noticed that there are several ways to adjust the
volume of your performance when using the DM10. You can:

• Adjust the levels of the Voices in the Kit: Press
DRUM KIT to enter the main screen then EDIT INST.
Select the Voice to edit (top of the LCD) with the
VALUE UP / DOWN buttons or VALUE DIAL (or by
striking the trigger with NOTE CHASE on). Press LVL
(F2) to enter the Level page. (Remember that each
Voice has two Layers, A and B, which you can toggle
between by pressing the EDIT INST button.)

• Adjust the level of the entire Kit: Press DRUM KIT
to enter the main screen then CURSOR DOWN to
enter the Drum Kit Setup Menu, where you can set the
overall Kit level.

• Adjust the levels of drum sounds with the MIXER:
Slide the faders on the module's MIXER. Use the MIX
BANK button to toggle between the two banks of
sounds.

Please note the module's trigger sensitivity, threshold, velocity
curve settings can also affect the dynamics of your performance.
See the EXT. TRIG MENU chapter for more information on
adjusting these other settings.

The bold text: if this is set to 00, you will have no sound from any kit.
Strike Pro, Dm10, Zildjian Gen 16 hats, xhats and garbage cymbals, Kit Toys chinas, crash and splashes, jam dock, mixer, custom 13" tom, alesis, drum workshop and various hardware.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »

Did you buy this DM10 used? If so, are you sure you have the correct power supply? If you have the correct power supply and you bought it new, you need to call Alesis because your module sounds like it is fried.
[/quote]

Yes, I bought it brand new.. The power supply are 9V/1.5A.. and it should work with those specs.. The numbers is even outlined on the back where the plug goes in..

Yeah, It seems kinda faulty the whole thing,, equalizer are weird too!

thanks for answering :)

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
Well I'm sorry to say it sounds as though Hellfire is right. If it's new then take it ALL back for an exchange or refund, seems you've been unlucky! :-[

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
Page 4 of the manual (check the bold settings below):

You may have noticed that there are several ways to adjust the
volume of your performance when using the DM10. You can:

• Adjust the levels of the Voices in the Kit: Press
DRUM KIT to enter the main screen then EDIT INST.
Select the Voice to edit (top of the LCD) with the
VALUE UP / DOWN buttons or VALUE DIAL (or by
striking the trigger with NOTE CHASE on). Press LVL
(F2) to enter the Level page. (Remember that each
Voice has two Layers, A and B, which you can toggle
between by pressing the EDIT INST button.)

• Adjust the level of the entire Kit: Press DRUM KIT
to enter the main screen then CURSOR DOWN to
enter the Drum Kit Setup Menu, where you can set the
overall Kit level.

• Adjust the levels of drum sounds with the MIXER:
Slide the faders on the module's MIXER. Use the MIX
BANK button to toggle between the two banks of
sounds.

Please note the module's trigger sensitivity, threshold, velocity
curve settings can also affect the dynamics of your performance.
See the EXT. TRIG MENU chapter for more information on
adjusting these other settings.

The bold text: if this is set to 00, you will have no sound from any kit.

I have checked everything you say.. still nothing, running out of options and starting to think the module have major internal damage somewhere :(

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
If you are not using a genuine power supply, take note that the DM10 requires 9volts AC not DC!

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 04:04:17 PM »
Well I'm sorry to say it sounds as though Hellfire is right. If it's new then take it ALL back for an exchange or refund, seems you've been unlucky! :-[

Hehe.. the only problem is I bought it from the US, and I live in Norway.. so it`s kind of difficult to return it..
I`m just damn unlucky this time!..

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
If you are not using a genuine power supply, take note that the DM10 requires 9volts AC not DC!

I know... the power supply is AC..

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »
Did the power supply come with it? U.S mains is 110volts, I think yours is 220v! that would give you 18volts out, enough to fry it!

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Did the power supply come with it? U.S mains is 110volts, I think yours is 220v! that would give you 18volts out, enough to fry it!
Yes, I`m aware of that issue, but the power supply I use are the same specs as the one that came with it.. 9V 1.5A AC to be shure I`ll go get my multimeter and messure it :)

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
To re-assure you, my mains voltage is 230v and off load, (measuring the dissconnected plug) i'm getting 13.6 volts from mine, and thats with a genuine Alesis supplied power supply.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 04:38:16 PM »
You said that you updated the module from the Alesis site, did you do it EXACTLY as it says in the book?(page 32) if so and the screen shows all the kits it maybe that it is not reading the sound ROM. Try re- loading just the sound ROM.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »
Do you know anyone else with an Alesis kit? It could be very interesting to test your module with a genuine powersupply.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »
I did EXACTLY what it said. And it went great with no problems at all..I also checked the firmware before starting, and it was the same as the one I installed.. I just updated it to try if it would help..
I can always try to upload it again..
offcourse I didn`t find my multimeter now when I need it.. It`s propably laying in my boat.. :/

I have a power supply that handles 100V-240V...  I`ll messure it tomorrow :)
but it`s strange many of the functions are working, and some is not..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:00:29 PM by Vredesbyrd »

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 04:53:17 PM »
Do you know anyone else with an Alesis kit? It could be very interesting to test your module with a genuine powersupply.

No, I don`t know anyone.. But don`t you think the damage is already done?

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 05:11:12 PM »
Your statement that the power supply is 110-220v makes me a little suspicious. many D.C supplies are universal and have an inverter built in, most AC in AC out power supplies usually are a transformer and the primary input voltage is fixed as the output is proportional to the input. Very few have an input voltage selector nowadays.
     Please double DOUBLE check you have AC coming out, (if you use an analogue meter, set it to DC on the 100v or so range and you should show virtually zero output)  if it shows DC volts then your power supply is the wrong type.
      If that is the case, and the voltage is indeed around 9v DC it is unlikely to have done any harm, It's just not been powering the module properly.
      Damage to electronics usually occurrs when wrong polarity,or excessive voltage is applied, or AC is fed in when it should be DC.  :o
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:29:51 PM by recklessrog »

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
Your statement that the power supply is 110-220v makes me a little suspicious. many D.C supplies are universal and have an inverter built in, most AC in AC out power supplies usually are a transformer and the primary input voltage is fixed as the output is proportial to the input. Very few have an input voltage selector nowadays.
     Please double DOUBLE check you have AC coming out, (if you use an analogue meter, set it to DC on the 100v or so range and you should show virtually zero output)  if it shows DC volts then your power supply is the wrong type.
      If that is the case, and the voltage is indeed around 9v DC it is unlikely to have done any harm, It's just not been powering the module properly.
      Damage to electronics usually occurrs when excessive voltage is applied, or AC is fed in when it should be DC.  :o
You know... I`ll take a picture of it and post it if it`s possible here??

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
Ok, I'l be on the site during the day too as Im retired, Hope we get it working for you  :)

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
Damn it! I can`t post the pics!
I`ll continue trying...

Thanks alot for you`re help :D

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
 I've never been able to upload pics to this site either, we need someone to tell us how to do it!! HELP NEEDED FOLKS PLEASE  :-\