Author Topic: Played my DM10 Studio and sang for my wife's big 50 birthday party!  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Th3R00st3r

My wife's 50th birthday party was this last Saturday and our band played. I played one of her favorite songs, I Love You from The Climax Blues Band\Tesla (they covered it and is the version she likes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Dk9dwdVPA&feature=youtu.be

The kit sounded good. Played through Addictive Drums. We did about 12 songs. There were a few screw ups, but nothing we couldn't recover from. We had a blast!
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Sal

Drums sound great, and you can sing, man! Also, great band name!

but...

VERTICAL VIDEO!? WE KNOW BETTER! COME ON!
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline Th3R00st3r

Drums sound great, and you can sing, man! Also, great band name!

but...

VERTICAL VIDEO!? WE KNOW BETTER! COME ON!

Haha that would be my son...
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Online AlanK

Man, had a smile on my face the whole time.. you guys are an awesome couple! Happy birthday to your wife  :D  and wow, the whole outside concert thing, there's nothing like summer outdoor jams or shows. We played out on my buddy's farmhouse veranda last summer..aside from the bugs, what a blast.

Your drums sound awesome.. I think it's the best I've heard from any of your videos so far, there's so much punch to every cymbal crash.. kick drum was coming through loud and clear! I only wish your son had gotten in closer, I wanted to get a good look at your drumset lol (and hey, my son's also a Justin! lol)

Also, that song is a winner for sure, hadn't heard it in a while.. I've got a couple of old Climax Blues LPs in my milk crate collection. The descending guitar pattern and the accented crashing and the vocals reminds me a lot of another of my favourite tunes, McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed.. a song I've wanted to play ever since I heard it..just got to try to pester the guys to take a swing at it, but I know they'll complain that it needs keyboards. Anyways, a most excellent song and the sound is superb and hey, ya, you can sing dude! hahahaha
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Th3R00st3r

Man, had a smile on my face the whole time.. you guys are an awesome couple! Happy birthday to your wife  :D  and wow, the whole outside concert thing, there's nothing like summer outdoor jams or shows. We played out on my buddy's farmhouse veranda last summer..aside from the bugs, what a blast.

Your drums sound awesome.. I think it's the best I've heard from any of your videos so far, there's so much punch to every cymbal crash.. kick drum was coming through loud and clear! I only wish your son had gotten in closer, I wanted to get a good look at your drumset lol (and hey, my son's also a Justin! lol)

Also, that song is a winner for sure, hadn't heard it in a while.. I've got a couple of old Climax Blues LPs in my milk crate collection. The descending guitar pattern and the accented crashing and the vocals reminds me a lot of another of my favourite tunes, McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed.. a song I've wanted to play ever since I heard it..just got to try to pester the guys to take a swing at it, but I know they'll complain that it needs keyboards. Anyways, a most excellent song and the sound is superb and hey, ya, you can sing dude! hahahaha

Thanks man, that means a lot!  She had the best time, and broke down into tears (which was my goal to make my wife cry, but hey, it was her party and she can cry if she wants to). She loves the TESLA cover of that song, and said it reminds her of us (or how she "fixed me" haha). We had a blast. We had some mess ups getting off of the backing tracks on 2 songs, but the rest were awesome. We played about 12 songs to about 100 guests.

We took a few things away from this gig. One was lighting!

BTW, Love that McCartney song as well. I just can't sing it when he goes to the high parts!

Offline Th3R00st3r

Alan, in case you have nothing to do...here's the entire set with the recorded audio.

https://youtu.be/yWJEPfFFAKI

Online AlanK

I'm just at work, got lots of nothing to do. Excellent set, Ron, and cool to see a different angle on that Climax Blues Band song. It's neat seeing you guys start with some sun still up and it gets dark as you play through the songs  :D  So I guess your neighbours either don't mind or were invited to the party? lol

Great sound and fun songs, you guys are an excellent group..having watched a lot of your company parties you've posted its always entertaining to see and hear the tunes you all do. Was curious about the yard party.. how cold was it out? Seemed to have a cool breeze and see people huddled around the firepit.. no bugs out yet? We're up in Canada's capital, Ottawa, and it's getting hot the last couple weeks but nights are still cool but if we do an outdoor jam, or party in the backyard we've only got from May to maybe October before it's too cold to do it.. and summer nights we'll get slaughtered by mosquitos and black flies.. gotta either tough it out, have a good gazebo, or light a lotta citronella hahaha
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Th3R00st3r

Thanks man. There was about 100 people there, and you were only looking at the one cornor of the yard. It got a little chilly for California, mid 50's. HAHA.

Offline Dobly

Re: Played my DM10 Studio and sang for my wife's big 50 birthday party!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 05:56:56 PM »
Sound good man.. Nice one.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 06:07:08 PM »

The kit sounded good. Played through Addictive Drums. We did about 12 songs. There were a few screw ups, but nothing we couldn't recover from. We had a blast!

Just out of curiosity, what hardware as you using to play through Addictive Drums? Which audio interface? How is the latency?

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 07:20:05 PM »
Hi,

I go usb out from the DM10 to the laptop. I have Reaper installed with a track loaded that has the AD2 VST on it. I also have the AISO4All driver loaded on the laptop as well. I have the Audio Device set to AISO4ALL with the Behringer as the Audio driver. It's in Reaper's preferences under Audio Device. There is also an AISO button on the dialog box for the properties that I can set the latency. It defaults to normal, but if I set it to Fast it works great. Faster loses the audio.

Then I go USB out from the laptop to a $30 audio interface (the Behringer U-Control UCA222)
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B0023BYDHK?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

From there I go from the UDB Interface with an RCA\Stereo 1/4 jacks that plug into our Roland Octacapture, but you can send it to a mixer, or whatever.

So:
DM10-->Laptop with reaper and AD2-->Behringer UCA222 Audio Interface-->Roland Octacapture (or whetever)

Hope this helps.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »

So:
DM10-->Laptop with reaper and AD2-->Behringer UCA222 Audio Interface-->Roland Octacapture (or whetever)

Hope this helps.

Great thanks.. I have only just started on this journey into VSTs from the DM10. I went USB into a laptop and AD2. From there all I have the moment is an inexpensiv Sabre USB DAC.

http://hifimediy.com/sabre-dac-uae23

I have Asio4all, but this DAC does not work with it. It has it's own Asio driver which i have to use to get sound out of it.

It reports latency of 7ms. I don't know if that is suppose to be good or not. But i can tell you now, I can hear it. I know it's out of time when I play.

I'll have a look at the Behringer and compare it to the PreSonus USB Audiobox that I'm thinking of buying.

Thanks for the details Th3R00st3r

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »
playing and singing at the same time....  something I've never been able to master in my thirty years of playing.  Well done!!