Author Topic: My new DM10 MK Studio Kit w/upgraded pads and painted cymbals  (Read 2276 times)

Adding a Alesis Sample Pad 4 or Pro and that "should" complete my kit. I’ll reply to any questions or comments.

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: My new DM10 MK Studio Kit w/upgraded pads and painted cymbals
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:17:15 AM »
Very Cool!!!
So you're loving your DM10 MKII Studio, I see!!!
Looks cool - the Zildjian/Alesis cymbals!!!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »
So much for complete.....I bought a Strike Pro module last night.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
:)   Rock On!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
Hi-hats, hi-hat stand, another cymbal and an Alesis Strike module ordered and on the way....THEN I’m done... I think. Getting like my Harley....it’s never “really” done, it’s just done until you find something else to add. Selling the 1 week old DM10 MKll Module to offset some of the cost.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
Do you like the Pearl P-932 double kick?  I ordered one with my new Strike kit, and I've only been using it for a few days.  I had the P-930 on my old kit.  Actually, I had two of them, but I had two kick pads set up, so just added a second pedal. 

This is the first double pedal I've owned.  So far it seems great, though!

--
Shawn

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »
Shawn,
 I have the Pearl Demon Drive P-3002D on my acoustic kit which costs 3 times as much and I can’t tell the difference between the 2 as far as playing. The Demon Drive is a direct drive where this one is chain and the Demon has more adjustments and maybe some drummers would appreciate those adjustments more than I. I think for the price Pearl knocked it out of the park with this pedal. I don’t feel bad I didn’t spend the extra to get another Demon drive I feel bad I spent all that extra on the Demon Drive! I’ve played and own the DW9000 also and for the price difference between these high priced pedals and the Pearl P-932 you made a wise choice. This pedal won’t hold you back I’ll tell you that.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
That's great to hear.  I fell in love with the P-930 after playing a Crimson kit at Guitar Center before I bought my DM10 two years ago.  When I bought the DM10, I added in the Pearl pedal. 

I wanted to upgrade to the double pedal a while back, but finances wouldn't let me spend the money on it at the time.  I caught an amazing deal on a second single pedal, though, a few months back, so I connected a pad to the left leg of my rack to use as a second kick.  So, for me, it was a no-brainer to go ahead and get the 932 when I bought my Strike.  I even bought the matching hi-hat stand, and I'm impressed with both so far.

I agree with you, Pearl definitely has a good thing going with these pedals.  So far, I don't regret my purchase.  I don't expect to, either, considering how happy I was with the single pedals.

--
Shawn

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »
The Pearl hi hat stand I had in the 80s was the BEST hi hat stand EVER! I thought. Loved that thing!

When I was working at Guitar Center the huge craze was the DW5000 which, true... it's a fast pedal. I was always repairing them for people - mostly replacing bearings or fixing broken chains - and who really knows what they put the pedal through, so I'm not criticizing the DW5000 by any stretch. Great pedal that I've never owned.

Tama came out with their "Camco" chain drive to compete, and I loved it. I think that was later replaced by the Iron Cobra series, but I don't know for sure... stopped paying attention for years.

But also back then, Pearl came out with an amazing chain drive pedal for almost half the price, and it was awesome! I don't recall the model name/number, but it was a Solid contender, so I made sure everyone looking at bass pedals saw and tried it. There were already plenty of folks going for the other two due to being recommended by their heroes.

Pearl started shipping their Export kits with pinstripes and a Remo Muffle for the bass drum. I set one up on the demo floor and was absolutely amazed that I didn't have to tune it at all! Not even the snare drum! So I sat down to play it - and that's when I noticed how truly amazing their really inexpensive belt/strap-drive pedal worked! I was floored!!! Really nice pedal. Well (Very Well) built, nice braided nylon strap coated in a rubbery plastic, and the acton was smooth, tight and solid! Sure, it wasn't a speed champ like the DW5000 or the Tama Camco Chain-drive, but I never really needed anything faster than something like this anyway, and I was playing a lot of Metallica covers back then.

Sorry... just two more cents fr you guys! ;)

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
Do you like the Pearl P-932 double kick?  I ordered one with my new Strike kit, and I've only been using it for a few days.  I had the P-930 on my old kit.  Actually, I had two of them, but I had two kick pads set up, so just added a second pedal. 

This is the first double pedal I've owned.  So far it seems great, though!

--
Shawn

I have one. very good pedal for the money. Really good.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
I'm still using the Yamaha double pedal I bought with my acoustic kit over twenty years ago. 1991 or 2 I think it was. Still performs like new. The beaters are Pearl two-sided and I'm using the hard plastic side (first time ever not using felt) and I love it! Plays very well and, with my Pintech Mesh Bass Saver Pad, makes no damage to my head at all.

Also, as opposed to my earlier post, the Pintech pad is a fine size for my dual pedal beaters. Just had rehearsal and noticed that I have the pad centered between the two beaters and both beaters are fully hitting just the pad. So I'm very happy with it.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 09:02:33 PM »
I love the YAMOC kit on that module.