Author Topic: Converting acoustic kit with DM10 module - pics in post #8  (Read 2193 times)

Offline iCe

Converting acoustic kit with DM10 module - pics in post #8
« on: November 28, 2018, 03:57:35 AM »
Hi all,

Thought it would be nice to start a topic about the conversion that I'm going to do. Ordered everything last monday, so i think that somewhere in december i will have converted my Pearl Vision VBA (and my Pearl Masters BCX double bass kit will move to the practice space). I've been thinking of getting a better electric kit to upgrade my DM10 Studio Kit. I upgraded to mesh heads myself, but triggering has become awful and I just dislike all the 8" pads and the 10" snare pad. I was looking at the Strike Pro since it has real sizes and have read good reviews about it, but still it is a lot of money.

So i started investigating if i could convert an acoustic kit to an electric kit. With triggers that is not a problem, but i wanted cymbals that feel more real. I have a set of Zildjian L80 Low Volume cymbals and found a thread here on how to convert them, but I'm not that technical. So i searched the interwebz and I found a guy in the US that makes triggers and a conversion set for the L80's. To make a long story short; i ordered a set from him and they're on their way. Looking forward to checking these out.

To go into more technical details and what i will use:
Pearl Vision VBA: 22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 Osan snare
Remo Silent Stroke heads on all the drums. I've cut up some old heads (big hole in the center) to put on the resonant side so there is something on the bearing edge there
DDrum Acoustic Pro triggers on the drums

Zildjian L80: 14" dual zone hihat (top cymbal combined with Goedrum hihat controller on Pearl hihat stand), 16 and 18" crashes dual zone; crash and choke, 20" ride triple zone; bell, bow, edge.

Alesis DM10 Module: to use as trigger interface and to send midi to my laptop. I ordered Superior Drummer 3 to trigger the sounds. I already have Cubase to record etc.

All things considered the conversion will cost roughly the same as a DM10 MKII kit, except way better sounds, real sizes and just looking more awesome. Except if you need to buy a new acoustic kit and hardware; then is conversion is more expensive, but over the years I gathered a lot of spare hardware to mount everything.

I will post pics when I have everything setup!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:31:59 PM by iCe »
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

Offline iCe

Re: Converting acoustic kit with DM10 module
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 04:38:50 AM »
Quick update: I received the mess head for the 14" floor tom (already have meshheads for the other drums), triggers, cables and Superior Drummer 3. Been busy with downloading and installing SD3 on my laptop, but 230 GB of data takes some time ;)
Tonight i will finish the download and installing this behemoth of data.

Got a notice that the cymbal triggers have arrived on the airport in Amsterdam, so i think i will have the cymbal triggers at home somewhere next week or so (if customs hurry op). The hi-hat controller (Goedrum) i ordered from Amazon.de, but instead of getting it from Germany it was sent to me from Taiwan  ::)
No idea when that arrives, but i think somewhere near Christmas as well. To be continued  ;D

Offline iCe

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 07:59:05 AM »
Another update haha

I was curious if everything worked, so i hooked my DM10 module onto my laptop and installed the triggers on the toms, snare and bass. At first i had some trouble with SD3 not finding my DM10 module, but after the 'have tried turning it off and on again' trick it popped up. The sounds are amazing and the triggering blows the DM10 sounds and triggering away! Especially the sounds and dynamics is truly getting my money's worth!

I do notice a small amount of lag and have difficulty with the bass drum trigger, but i guess i will have to tweak some more. But i'm afraid my laptop can't handle all the data and sounds haha
So probably will switch my pc and laptop so i can use my pc for recording and triggering SD3. Or i will have to get a dedicated desktop just for this little project.

Tried uploading some pics, but got an error (probably too big)

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
sounds awesome, iCe, I'm using Addictive Drums2 and also love the kits and performance much more than the module on it's own.

As for the lag, do you have asio4all running or do you use an audio interface? (sound card?). that'd let you lower the latency
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline iCe

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 02:52:38 AM »
I'll look into that. When i had my Alesis Multimix 8 hooked on i always had that running, but since I'm not using it i reverted back to the regular driver. I use the onboard audio card, no external sound card. But thanks for the Asio reminder :)

Offline iCe

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 02:22:11 AM »
And a new update  ;D

Yesterday I picked up the cymbal triggers and tuesday i received the GoEdrum hi-hat controller. So I have everything at home to convert my VBA. Friday next week I will have my last practice session on my VBA and then i will retire it to my drum room at home to convert to the e-kit. This weekend i will install the cymbal triggers and will see how everything works. Fingers crossed hehe

Offline iCe

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 06:14:31 AM »
Still some latency problems on my laptop and i can't seem to get Cakewalk to install on it. So now I'm installing everything on my PC and Cakewalk installed without problems. Currently downloading SD3 on this computer. Installed the trigger on the hi-hat cymbal yesterday and put the GoEdrum trigger on the stand as well. The trigger works like a charm, but the GoEdrum trigger needs some tinkering. It works perfectly in the settings screen; i can see to midi notes and a slider move up and down when i play the pedal, but it doesn't trigger the hi-hat chick sound when i close it. The data is coming in, but i guess SD3 doesn't know what to do with it.

And i accidentally reset the settings on my DM10 module, so i will have to adjust every trigger setting (sensitivity etc.) again  ::)

Offline iCe

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
Here are a couple of pics. I installed all the triggers on L80's. I had a problem that the hi-hat vibrated too much, even with the cymguard on it. If i hit it at a normal level it would trigger 1 or more 'sympathetic' hits. I fixed this by putting the hi-hat bottom on top of the converted cymbal and works like a charm now. Still dialing in the hi-hat settings, still not happy about the foot action. But at least it's working. Triggering sounds from the DM10 module is no problem, but i get a lot of latency when i run SD3 on the laptop and it doesn't support ASIO as driver for the onboard soundcard. Ah well... to be continued ;)

Here are a couple of pics (i get an error for attachments, so hope this works)

https://ibb.co/qYzwDmP <- shot of the kit
https://ibb.co/yBMMXnB <- close up of the cymbal trigger
https://ibb.co/zxD47Nc <- close up of the hi-hat triggers

Offline iCe

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »
So... yesterday i took my VBA home and today i converted her to an e-kit. I guess you can imagine the grin on my face when i first played it a few minutes ago. The feel of a kit with real sizes totally blows an e-kit away. Especially with the converted L80's it's just like playing a real kit. SD3 is really a great VST! Looking forward to exploring everything.

As promised; the pics :)

Offline Dobly

Re: Converting acoustic kit with DM10 module - pics in post #8
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »
Great work. The kit looks very neat and playable.