Author Topic: Best Mesh Head?  (Read 8451 times)

Best Mesh Head?
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:05:26 AM »
Hey guys I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I need to change to mesh heads to reduce my xtalking problem. Nothing else is working and now i've had my system for over a week and have not been able to play it.

So my question to you guys is whats the best mesh heads and where can I find them for a really good price?? I'm not trying to spend an arm and a leg.

I have the DM10 Pro Kit!

Re: Best Mesh Head?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »
CBD,
I'll let someone else answer the question about the mesh heads. I actually prefer the stock heads over mesh and have no plans to switch anytime soon. I just wanted to say that you should be able to remove all of your x-talk simply by adjusting the trigger setting in the module. I've not done any physical mods to my kit and I have no x-talk issues. When I first got the kit, I spent a few hours going through the module to get everything setup, which took care of all the glaring issues. I've probably spent another hour on it since, just dialing things in here and there as I find problems. Did you follow the instructions on this site for eliminating x-talk? There is also another "quick guide", which I believe was posted by vtdrummer, you should check that out also. -Thomas

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »
Here is a link to vtdrummer's "quick guide" that I mentioned. I found this to be VERY useful. I was actually able to remove most of my x-talk issues by adjusting sensitivity and threshold alone. -Thomas

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2488.msg18609#msg18609

Offline Yankee

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:01 AM »
Re the mesh heads, I'm sure you'll find everyone has different opinions but here is my $.02

I've tried Roland, Pintech, Pearl, Billy Blast I's and Billy Blast II's. These are just my opinions:

Roland - To me the best performing all around, but pretty pricey.
Pintech - Not bad, plays ok all around, but there is better out there for the same $.
Pearl - They work pretty good and hold up well, little to bouncy for my liking but super cheap which makes them attractive to many.
Billy Blast Ballistec I's - Didn't care for these at all, they are very inexpensive which is a plus but you get what you pay for here.
Billy Blast Ballistec II's - These have been great, feel and play much like a Roland for about 2/3's the price. Can't comment on durability as I've only had them about a month but so far they look like they are going to hold up well.

Please check out digitaldrummer, they have done many comparison articles on all kinds of edrum stuff, Mesh heads were compared again in the current edition. Also look at the April 2010 & August 2011 issues they did on Mesh heads:

Current Edition:
http://www.digitaldrummermag.com/

http://www.digitaldrummermag.com/Back_Issues.html

Hope it helps.. Yankee
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:45:10 AM by Yankee »
E-Kits: Alesis DM10 Studio, Alesis DM5, Alesis DM6 w/ DIY Mesh Conversion's
A-Kits: Gretsch Catalina Maple 6pc Cherry Red; 64 Slingerland 4pc Gold Sparkle

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
Re the mesh heads, I'm sure you'll find everyone has different opinions but here is my $.02

I've tried Roland, Pintech, Pearl, Billy Blast I's and Billy Blast II's. These are just my opinions:

Roland - To me the best performing all around, but pretty pricey.
Pintech - Not bad, plays ok all around, but there is better out there for the same $.
Pearl - They work pretty good and hold up well, little to bouncy for my liking but super cheap which makes them attractive to many.
Billy Blast Ballistec I's - Didn't care for these at all, they are very inexpensive which is a plus but you get what you pay for here.
Billy Blast Ballistec II's - These have been great, feel and play much like a Roland for about 2/3's the price. Can't comment on durability as I've only had them about a month but so far they look like they are going to hold up well.

Please check out digitaldrummer, they have done many comparison articles on all kinds of edrum stuff, Mesh heads were compared again in the current edition. Also look at the April 2010 & August 2011 issues they did on Mesh heads:

Current Edition:
http://www.digitaldrummermag.com/

http://www.digitaldrummermag.com/Back_Issues.html

Hope it helps.. Yankee

Darn, you didn't even mentioned HART dynamics.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
Darn, you didn't even mentioned HART dynamics.
Well - he can't review the ones he hasn't tried, now can he? ;)

(..Or Drum-tec, for that matter.)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Yankee

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 05:30:09 PM »
Well - he can't review the ones he hasn't tried, now can he? ;)

;D  Wish I could say Nicole Kidman gives better back massages than Angelina Jolie.  ::)
E-Kits: Alesis DM10 Studio, Alesis DM5, Alesis DM6 w/ DIY Mesh Conversion's
A-Kits: Gretsch Catalina Maple 6pc Cherry Red; 64 Slingerland 4pc Gold Sparkle

Offline vaikl

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »
;D  Wish I could say Nicole Kidman gives better back massages than Angelina Jolie.  ::)

She does, really, trust me ;D

Offline robv60

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:20:15 PM »
When I think of those two, back massages arent....nevermind. Biting my tongue.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »
You guys have ADHA!! LMBO! Thanks for you'll opinion. I was able to get all of the crosstalk out of my kit tonight. So I'm super excited ;D  I can finally play (learn). I think I might wait on the mesh heads since I got the x talk does not is gone. I did end up stuffing my rack with some brown paper. It was some shipping paper that came inside a box to ensure the package was not damaged. I'm not sure if that helped or not.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 03:00:14 AM »
Good to hear that you resolved the crosstalk - do tell about your experiences in the crosstalk thread. :)

However - I'd still recommend going for mesh heads - for me the response is much better, with even less crosstalk (I could lower the settings a bit), less hotspotting and less noise. :)
You could start with converting a single pad and see what you think..
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 03:07:42 AM »
Good to hear that you resolved the crosstalk - do tell about your experiences in the crosstalk thread. :)

However - I'd still recommend going for mesh heads - for me the response is much better, with even less crosstalk (I could lower the settings a bit), less hotspotting and less noise. :)
You could start with converting a single pad and see what you think..

Great idea! Would I need to do all the soldering? or just change out the foam and head?

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:31:02 PM »
Wish I could say Nicole Kidman gives better back massages than Angelina Jolie

They both suck at it. When you look like that, you NEVER HAD to give a back massage. Bet they aren't that good at laundry either.  :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:40:12 PM by evilcartman »

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »
Great idea! Would I need to do all the soldering? or just change out the foam and head?

You can choose either way. There are literally dozens of options. Just peruse the diy section.

More power to you if you prefer the mylar but that thin foam on top of the steel plate isn't going to last long and you soon at least need to address that. I keep a mylar tom around as a reference cause i do lots of modding. I am constantly forgetting how loud the thing is.

As far as preference, I am right along with Yankee. However if BB get any more expensive, you might as well just buy the Rolands. The BBs are in fact OEMed by someone so you may find them cheaper under a different name.

I mean to look that up but am easily distract....   HEY Angelina, wait up!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:39:01 PM by evilcartman »

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »
I've been using an Alesis conversion set by 682Drums for over a year now and love them.  Easy install, nice to play and so quiet compared to the original heads on my Alesis DM10.  Haven't tried the others so not sure about those, but I was also looking for quick and easy conversion and these were a breeze.  Hope that helps.