Author Topic: SDdrummer.com (New Simmons Community)  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: SDdrummer.com (New Simmons Community)
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
Thanks! Yes, I'm on a Mac and yes these unzipped perfectly. Thanks again.

That's good to hear !..I used legacy setting(max compatibility in winzip)
I'll dig out all the kits I have an upload to SDdrummer...Is there going to be a section for this?..or do you want in Commons?.. Vst/recording area?

couple more kits...I am unsure if there was a MaxV kit ?..or if it was Max Velocity.. was the SDS5 considered the better of the two?

Vst/recording area would be good. I plan on adding in the VST/recording area title the word "Samples" or "Sampling"

I don't know, but I would guess MaxV is Max velocity.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »
It may be easier to find a TAMA Sample and tweak it or pull it off a multitrack/stem?
Have you checked with Drumwerks? They have massive amounts of snare samples.
http://www.drumwerks.com/product-category/snare-samples/

Thanks for the AVH snare details and that Drumwerks collection should be very useful.

I'll post some info in another topic about my attempts to reproduce the AVH snare sound with a DM10.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:27:15 PM by rhysT »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
Thanks! Yes, I'm on a Mac and yes these unzipped perfectly. Thanks again.

That's good to hear !..I used legacy setting(max compatibility in winzip)
I'll dig out all the kits I have an upload to SDdrummer...Is there going to be a section for this?..or do you want in Commons?.. Vst/recording area?

couple more kits...I am unsure if there was a MaxV kit ?..or if it was Max Velocity.. was the SDS5 considered the better of the two?

Vst/recording area would be good. I plan on adding in the VST/recording area title the word "Samples" or "Sampling"

I don't know, but I would guess MaxV is Max velocity.

I was wondering about that...I found the archives and all the kit's.
SIMMONS
    Simmons – ClapTrap
    Simmons – MTX9
    Simmons – SDS 9
    Simmons – SDS V
    Simmons – SDS1
    Simmons – SDS5
    Simmons – SDS7
    Simmons – SDS8
    Simmons – SDS200
    Simmons – SDS400
    Simmons – SDS1000
    Simmons – SDS2000
    Simmons – SDX

I also found I have a massive SDSV folder , that I must have gotten over the years.. (150MB..1,244 wavs..24 bit),and additional SDS5/SDS8 kits that aren't the same as above. which made me wonder if the  kits had been broken down into smaller  kits.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:20:56 AM by Chaser »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
It may be easier to find a TAMA Sample and tweak it or pull it off a multitrack/stem?
Have you checked with Drumwerks? They have massive amounts of snare samples.
http://www.drumwerks.com/product-category/snare-samples/

Thanks for the AVH snare details and that Drumwerks collection should be very useful.

I'll post some info in another topic about my attempts to reproduce the AVH snare sound with a DM10.

Looking forward to it..I'll see what I can find. :)
Edit:
Is there a song in particular that the snare stands out
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:23:04 PM by Chaser »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »

Looking forward to it..I'll see what I can find. :)
Edit:
Is there a song in particular that the snare stands out

Here's a few other examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYN7mTi6HM   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXCs41DkWs

I'll provide some more info soon in a related topic: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6582.msg48262#msg48262

Offline Chaser

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
I noticed over the past few days Siimons has launched a number of videos promoting the new "Signature Sound Library"..

https://www.youtube.com/user/PlaySimmonsDrums

also Wiki has been updated

Relaunch
In 2017 Simmons announced the new SD2000 series with a planned release for retail on Aug 4, 2017, while simultaneously making public the return of Dave Simmons to the company.[29] The SD2000 is a top-to-bottom redesign (with the exception of the included HEXX™ rack), and will be available in five-piece (11″ triple-zone SimHex snare; three 9″ dual-zone SimHex toms; 9″ mesh bass drum with nonslip standl; 13″ dual-zone chokeable crash; 15″ triple-zone ride; 12″ hi-hat) and seven-piece (add one 9″ dual-zone SimHex tom and one 13″ dual-zone chokeable crash to the 5-piece) configurations. The additional tom and cymbal units can also be purchased separately as an add-on, however it does not appear that there is additional room to add components beyond upgrading the 5-piece. (The upgraded 5-piece is, when upgraded, identical to the 7-piece; photos of the control unit indicate that this occupies all the available inputs.) This newly designed kit employs mesh heads - the first in the Simmons line to do so - which are tensionable with a standard drum key. The pre-programmed sound bank includes classic acoustic kit samples, sounds pulled from vintage Simmons kits like the SDS-5, plus world percussion and effect sounds (e.g. handclaps, cowbell, etc.). Additionally users can add their own samples to the library.

The control module includes full-color LCD, built-in mixer, and a USB port that allows playback of WAV and MP3 files from a USB drive, plus recording in WAV format back out to a thumb drive. At the time of this writing the SD2000 has not been publicly released, thus potential features like midi over USB or USB out to a computer (either for kit-to-machine recording or machine-to-kit programming) have not yet been evaluated. Country of origin has not yet been made public.

As a visual cue/callback to the classic Dave Simmons-designed systems offered in the 1980's, the SD2000's round, tensionable, mesh heads are mounted in an octagonal frame reminiscent of the SDS-5 aesthetic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simmons_(electronic_drum_company)#More_models

Also: the Simmons samples I mentioned above are now available for download over on  www.SDdrummer.com

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »
What ever happens to the promised flagship model on simmons that will have all feature from previous simmons? Dave stated this on the video interview earlier was supposed to be released after 6 month from sd2000 model.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
What ever happens to the promised flagship model on simmons that will have all feature from previous simmons? Dave stated this on the video interview earlier was supposed to be released after 6 month from sd2000 model.

Actually Dave stated about six months to a year for the "derivatives" of the SD2000. Meaning lesser kits based on the SD2000 model.

Dave went on to state "would be a year or so after that" for the next one past the SD2000. It's only been one year since the SD2000 launch. He said a year or so after the derivatives. So the derivatives need to come first. I'm not sure but the new SD350 and SD550 might be consider derivatives of the SD2000. Not really sure what was derived from the SD2000 for those kits other than mesh head and maybe the samples, but the lesser price point kits seem to be doing quite well for Guitar Center/Simmons.