Author Topic: set-up alternative (vertical rack mounts), with sample pad and wave drum  (Read 2041 times)

I have the dm10 studio mesh kit. I've struggled with the ideal configuration to make room for accessories, sample pad and wave drum. The rack mounts are a pain every time I make a change, having to slide them off tube, thus requiring a lot of time and work taking apart the kit. I presume the X kit has the advantage of rack mounts that clam shell off? I have not seen in person or pics close up enough to confirm this.

Anyways, I think I've got a creative solution for those who may share the struggles: You can mount the toms on the vertical posts!
I've got a tom mounted to the right of the right center post and a floor tom mounted to the right of the far right post, which is mostly responsible for giving me the extra space.
Note: Note I'm short a tom. I prefer this setup anyway, but I've had 4 pad failures, so it is nice to have a back-up.
Note 2: I've got a very nice yamaha mixer that ties everything together to send to my bands, gives me personal control of all my instruments.  It mounts conveniently to a mic stand.
Note 3. I would love to figure out a way to mount the module on the top of the far left post. This would free up even more space.

I'd like to be able

Offline rhysT

Re: set-up alternative (vertical rack mounts), with sample pad and wave drum
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:48:25 PM »
I have the dm10 studio mesh kit. I've struggled with the ideal configuration to make room for accessories, sample pad and wave drum.

I would love to figure out a way to mount the module on the top of the far left post. This would free up even more space.

One option is to get a separate snare pad stand and reattach its current support arm onto the far left post to mount the module on it. This should allow space to mount the Sample pad/etc where the module normally attaches and refit the 4 toms in their standard configuration.
Plus maybe later on you can get a larger snare drum/pad like the Strike's 14" and use the 'spare' pad as a 2nd snare or 5th tom, connected to Perc-4 trigger input.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:17:50 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 04:22:13 AM »
That's an interesting idea. I had also considered mounting module with a pad clamp (Gibraltar SC-PUGC), either to the mixer stand or the far left vertical post. I've also considered, more in line with your suggestion, having the hihat and wave drum on separate stands and eliminating the left vertical altogether, turning into a tripod rack.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
I had also considered mounting module with a pad clamp (Gibraltar SC-PUGC), either to the mixer stand or the far left vertical post.

Also check out the similar Pearl AX-25L Extra Long Clamp (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AX25L) which I've used to attach my DM10 module to the hi-hat support tube. Although don't expect either clamp to fit on the rack vertical post.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 01:53:55 PM »
I have a DM10 setup I put together at a friend's place using Alesis pads on a Roland frame we bought used. The frame is cool but the front has just a tiny crossbar that I had to mount the toms off the posts.. I totally relate to your finding as well.. mind you, it doesn't allow me as much manipulation of the angle etc but does the job.

Also, this frame had that small snare tube coming out from the front left post and I wanted to use a Hart snare on a separate stand, so I swung the small tube out to the side and mounted the brain on it.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers