Author Topic: A belated hello...  (Read 2394 times)

A belated hello...
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »
 :-[

You guys must think I am SO rude!  I forgot to introduce myself when I joined this forum and just started posting away.

Hi, I'm Jeremy, from Montana.  Yes, that's in the US, not Canada (I actually got asked that once.)  I have been playing e-drums for as long as I remember.  I was in high school when I traded 1/2 of my Lars Ulrich-style 9 pc. Tama kit for a Roland SPD8.  My first Alesis experience was when I was in college.  I got a used D4, 3 used Visulites, a Yamaha kick tower, and built my own drum pads out of Remo practice pads and Radio Shack parts.  It was ugly but worked great!  I also had a DM-Pro when they were new, and used SoundBridge to sample my own drums.  I did multilayered samples with 4 velocities per drum; it was pretty darn cool at the time, but MAN that card filled up fast!  All I got on there were my 6 drums, 4 samples each, not even a cymbal.  But still pretty hi tech in the 90s!

Currently these are my setups (electronic setups, anyway):

-Zendrum ZX4 and Zendrum LT4.  I have been playing Zendrums since '97 and it's my main e-axe.  LOVE it to death, you guys need to get one!
-TrapKat XL.  if I'm gonna play with sticks, this thing is just amazing.  I love it for jazz gigs.  The new neoprene pads are ultra-quiet and the portability factor is awesome.
-I also have a cobbled-together Roland pad setup: the pads from a complete TD-7 Turbo kit (4 PD7, 4 PD9, FD7, KD7).  I have the TD7 Turbo module too, but it's kinda old... I have the rack from a TD3 kit, and the cymbals from a TD4 kit (5 CY-8s and a CY-5 for HH).  It's a pretty cool kit; I should put up some pics.  I am using my DM10 as its module, and soon will be experimenting with adding a TMC-6 to hopefully get dual-zone HH and vel-sensitive rims and chokes.

My best module setup is going into my MacBook Pro with BFD2, which is SO stellar.. but a pain in the @$$ for gigging.  The DM10 is pretty darn handy!

For amplifiaction, I use 2 rigs: for small gigs I use the Simmons DA200S with a Rolls EQ.  For bigger gigs I use one or two Bose L1 towers, with 2 subs each.

I also use lots of acoustic drums, but I'll save that for another forum...  :D

Anyway, I would love to talk midi or e-drums (or acoustic drums) with anybody.  I'm admittedly very nerdy about this subject and love to talk nuts-n-bolts.  I would love to help a midi-brother in need, and will also need some info and advice myself!  Speaking of that, I have this rash...  :o

Thanks for reading this very... ummm... scintillating post. ;)

Jer
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:33:18 PM by zendrumdude »
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

Offline Guinness

Re: A belated hello...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »
Excellent introduction Jer.

This is pretty flipping cool, but how the hell do you play it?

Welcome... and glad you've jumped right in and helped.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »
Welcome aboard Jeremy!

Do you remember how many layers you could have with the DMPro? I ask because I have a theory that the DM10 is based on the DMPro and if that is the case, I'm wondering if the old sound bridge software can interface with the DM10.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:48:37 PM by Hellfire »

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
Do you remember how many layers you could have with the DMPro?

Yep, max of 4.  You could do 2 or 3 as well.  The Pro could stack up to 4 layers, and you'd set different velocity curves to deal with the crossfading.

Jer
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 06:14:18 AM »
Hey Jeremy, howdy
you're deafinitely NOT rude, man! Thanks for your long intro.

Me too would love to own a ZX4, but they're a little pricy -- even if they worth every cent, btw.
Side note: Believe me or not, I'm one of the few who can say to own an "antique" early Zendrum controller (a "ZP" plastic ones, nowadays a true rarity and a collector's item!!!).
I still prefer to play a more "traditional" electronic drum set (I own a DM10 Studio kit), but Zendrum is totally fun.

Hope to hear soon from you  ;)