Author Topic: Help with play along music  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Mr.J.

Help with play along music
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:50:26 PM »
My setup in a DM10 running thru a laptop running AD2 and I use an external SoundBlaster sound card.

No complaints, however,

When I play music I want to play along to I just cannot get that muic loud enough. I use 2 different sources, a CD player plugged into the soundblaster and/or a FIIO .wav player also plugged directly into the soundblaster. Both work using line in jack much better than mic input.

No complaints, however,

I cannot get the muic loud enough. I can crank everything up to 100% and it' just too short on volume to play my kit with at the same time, comes up pretty short on bass too, that's got to be an output power shortfall.

So, any advice on what setup I can use that can increase volume/power from my music source and to be able to play the kit with at the same time?

Would a 2 channel mixer work? Maybe a powered mixer (or are they all powered?) What do you use that you are happy with? Maybe a different approach?

I'm thinking the soundblaster in 1 channel and my music source into channel 2 input and I would use headphones for listening/playing output.

Thanks.

Mr.J.

Re: Help with play along music
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 05:48:18 AM »
I have my Chromebook headphone output plugged directly into the input of the Command module and my headphone plugged into the Command module headphone output. It works great for me since I can control the volume of either the drums or the Chromebook. The only thing I don't like about this setup is I cannot use my wireless earbuds since the Command module does not do Bluetooth. :-\

Online AlanK

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
Hi Mr. J.

I have my DM10 midi going to a Tascam AI, from there to my PC running Addictive 2 and if I plug my phones into the Tascam it's also a bit low on volume control if I plug my music into another channel on the audio interface. I have to crank up the music and lower the drum channel.

So I bought a cheap Behringer Xenyx mixer. My Tascam output goes into one of the mixer channels, then my mp3 or whatever goes into another and I adjust the volumes of each.. gotta say though when playing to an assortment of music some of the albums are mixed louder than others.. I get a better adjustment between my drums and the accompanying music but once in a while the next song queued can be way too loud, painfully.. have to reach for the vol knob pretty quick! Sometimes its way too low and I have to crank it back up to match my drums.

But in the end, I think I got my audio interface for less than 50 bucks and the small mixer about the same.. decent investments since I've brought the mixer with me to parties or jams when I just want to be able to have my drums, maybe a mic, and some music patched in and EQd near me.. don't need an expensive big mixer and you'll likely find a use for the cheap mixer for other fun stuff (kids would use it to do parties and feel like dj's cuz they could play songs and then talk into the mic, and have one cellphone plugged in playing music and if a friend wanted to plug another phone or ipad in there was extra channels..loads of fun)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
I ended up finding someone to chat with about this. He did say a USB mixer would work. The mixer would be in replacement for the soundblaster card.

Sounds interesting. I am going to go to my local music store and pick their brains. Looking at the Behringer Q502USB.

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
Here's a quick update.

I got a Behringer USB502 mixer and just could not be happier.

This mixer replaces my external Sound Blaster sound card and does circles around the S.B. The sound out of the Mixer is way better than the S.B sound card.

I use an 8 inch tablet with Drum Sequencer on it and I can balance the sound anyway I want. I aslo use a FIIO .wav player and can mix the drums/music in anyway I need to.I really wish I had done this years ago.

I am very happy with this setup.

Online AlanK

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
That's awesome! Glad that helps.. and now you can probably add a mic if you ever care to, or a keyboard or any other special gear into the mix
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers