Author Topic: polyrithm or groove?  (Read 1214 times)

polyrithm or groove?
« on: October 01, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »
Lately the tendency for some bands (mostly in the rock and metal genres) is to use a lot of different changes and tempos on their songs.
To me it gets to the point where it is excessive and it seems like it is just being done to showboat instead of service the music.
I guess we can blame bands like Dream Theater and Messhuggah ( I know there are many progressive bands from the early 70's such as Asia, Rush, King Crimson to name a few) but the modern musicians wouldn't be influenced by them since they probably never heard of them.
those bands may be what influenced Dream Teather and Messhuggah... Anyway, the point is that IMO music is losing fluidity (groove) in favor or multiple changes and intricacy, to me that gets old very quickly, I rather have a good solid beat with a few changes when appropriate (i.e Sepultura on any of the Beneath the remains album songs, or Slayer in the Seasons in the Abyss album), the parts are solid, intricate enough (not impossible to play but not easy either), and the changes only make the music stronger.   On some of the tracks I have been hearing lately, the changes don't necessarily make sense but they are there, is like they are very abrupt, I guess one of the bands that manages to pull it off decently is Jinjer, They may not be everyone's cup of tea due to the singer's screaming (she can actually sing properly and does in many songs and live which i have been able to witness).
but their music is heavy, groovy, and it has tasteful and well executed changes.  That is the direction where I would like to see modern metal heading...
so, what bands do you like and why, and intricacy or groove?