Author Topic: My custom DM10 Neil Peart Exit Stage Left patch (WIP)  (Read 4901 times)

My custom DM10 Neil Peart Exit Stage Left patch (WIP)
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »
I've been working on a Neil Peart patch for the DM10 based on his kit from the Exit Stage Left album. I've pretty much maxed out the available inputs so I'll need a trigger IO to finish it. Take a listen and let me know what you think

https://soundcloud.com/matthew-clise/neil-peart-dm10-kit-mk-ii

Offline JimmyB

Re: My custom DM10 Neil Peart Exit Stage Left patch (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
Great sounding hihat!
JimmyB

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »
I've been working on a Neil Peart patch for the DM10 based on his kit from the Exit Stage Left album. I've pretty much maxed out the available inputs so I'll need a trigger IO to finish it. Take a listen and let me know what you think

Very well done. Not many users have the ability to program the DM10's internal sounds like that. How much time do you think you have into this patch so far? I ask because many don't know how long it takes to make a good sounding kit in the DM10.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »
Great sounding hihat!
JimmyB
Thanks, Jimmy! It's the Z60sNB 15" hats but pitched up 3 semitones. That was actually one of the easier instruments to get right.

Very well done. Not many users have the ability to program the DM10's internal sounds like that. How much time do you think you have into this patch so far? I ask because many don't know how long it takes to make a good sounding kit in the DM10.

Thanks for the compliments. Once set up properly, I really feel that the DM10 is the best value on the market. The sounds in it are light years ahead of what I've heard from Kat, Simmons, Ddrum, et al, even being a 5 year old module at this point.  Even the Yamaha 750 and 900 stuff doesn't sound *that* much better and in some cases (imho) worse than the DM10. With proper dynamic settings one can all but eliminate the machinegunning effect that plagues most modules, which I feel is 90% of the battle for realism. But I digress.

I first started working on this kit back in May for fun. Nearly every time I sit at the kit I'll tweak some parameter or another. I've easily put a dozen hours into this kit. Pretty much every drum and cymbal has been swapped out at one point or another
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:13:32 PM by elusivesolution »

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Hi, I am a newby on this website. I play a DM10 kit, can I use the Neil Peart patch myself? It sounds just great.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
When I feel like the kit is done I plan on uploading it for anyone to download. I'm still tweaking it. I took out one crash and put in a splash, beefed up the gong bass, messed with the reverb, I could keep going

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »
Sounds interesting. Can't wait to check it out.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
Sounds good! How exactly do you install this once it's ready? Using a PC?
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:
Bluejay in Module & EZdrummer 2 on laptop

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »
I am not positive, but I believe it will be done using the DMEDITOR.
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2365.0

If anyone can confirm/deny this assumption, that would be great.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:18:37 PM »
Yeah, I plan on using DMEditor. I have yet to really use the program but I'll figure something out. Worse case scenario is I'll just write up a "recipe" if anyone else would want to program the patch themselves.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 01:03:09 AM »
Not to bug ya, but how's the progress?  ::)

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 01:35:33 AM »
OP When you said you used all your inputs that means you have already added extra pads/triggers to the dm10 module right? So trigger iO lets you add more pads & somehow connects to dm10? I'm still trying to learn all this stuff out & what things do & what they're used for...

Also people talk about creating sets/sounds/instruments from the module itself.. I have only figured out how to change the pre-set drum kits by pressing up/down lol so what your doing with this Niel pert patch is all taking place from within the dm10 module?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:39:46 AM by adrian97c »
DM10X kit, DW-3K double pedal, DW-3K tractor throne, 5AN VF sticks, Simmons DA200S, PS4 Gold headset.
Mods:
Remo silentstroke mesh conversion with 1/4" charcoal layer added on top of plates.
Sounds:

Offline Trondster

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 08:06:52 AM »
Try the Edit buttons - you can edit two layers of instruments for each kit and instrument.
There are MIDI instruments for each kit in addition to the regular instruments you can add a Trigger I/O with a MIDI cable, and assign the desired sounds to the MIDI instruments triggered by MIDI signals from the Trigger I/O.

Try having a look in the manual - it describes editing a kit and MIDI connectivity.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
OP When you said you used all your inputs that means you have already added extra pads/triggers to the dm10 module right? So trigger iO lets you add more pads & somehow connects to dm10? I'm still trying to learn all this stuff out & what things do & what they're used for...

Also people talk about creating sets/sounds/instruments from the module itself.. I have only figured out how to change the pre-set drum kits by pressing up/down lol so what your doing with this Niel pert patch is all taking place from within the dm10 module?
Let me second what Trondster stated:

Try the Edit buttons - you can edit two layers of instruments for each kit and instrument.
There are MIDI instruments for each kit in addition to the regular instruments you can add a Trigger I/O with a MIDI cable, and assign the desired sounds to the MIDI instruments triggered by MIDI signals from the Trigger I/O.

Try having a look in the manual - it describes editing a kit and MIDI connectivity.

And when you are ready you might want to have a look at these topics:

DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad

More Chokable Cymbals, DM10 & Trigger I/O

DM10 Advanced Programming, Usage & Techniques

I think you will find the DM10 is more powerful than just changing the stock kit you are playing.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »
Thx guys for making my life easier!  :)
Mods:
Sounds:

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »
Yeah, I plan on using DMEditor. I have yet to really use the program but I'll figure something out. Worse case scenario is I'll just write up a "recipe" if anyone else would want to program the patch themselves.

:D!

PM me if you have any questions or have any problems with it. Definitely looking forward to this myself. :)

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »
I'm continuing to tweak this sound. I replaced one of the 16" crashes with a splash; I hadn't quite realized just how often Neil uses splashes. I also just recently acquired a trigger IO. I've mapped rim shot sounds to the closed toms whereas before I had the concert toms assigned to the rims and I've moved the concert toms to midi note #s. I might have to do 2 versions of the kit now: one for people with a trigger IO and a somewhat condensed version for people without one.

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »
I'm continuing to tweak this sound. I replaced one of the 16" crashes with a splash; I hadn't quite realized just how often Neil uses splashes. I also just recently acquired a trigger IO. I've mapped rim shot sounds to the closed toms whereas before I had the concert toms assigned to the rims and I've moved the concert toms to midi note #s. I might have to do 2 versions of the kit now: one for people with a trigger IO and a somewhat condensed version for people without one.

Much appreciated for those w/ just a dm10.
Mods:
Sounds:

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
Thanks for thinking of us lowly DM10 only owners!  ;)

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
Hey I was wondering if you ever ended up uploading this? This is the best sounding kit i have heard for this module. You are very skilled with the sounds.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
Yeah! Any update in this project?

Thanks!

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »

Will you be uploading the kit?  :)
I did the 682Drums no soldering upgrade. See my photos here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3683.msg31354#msg31354