Author Topic: Bass drum slipping...  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Dobly

Bass drum slipping...
« on: October 19, 2017, 09:25:50 PM »

My DM10X kit has the standard Alesis bass drum system. It's been pretty good thus far. The combination of velcro and two spikes has kept it in place on any carpeted surface.

However at my last gig the system met it's match. The carpet on this stage was super short, tightly packed and lay hard against the concrete below. The velcro did not stick and the spikes could not grab..  Several strips of gaffa tape held the bass drum in place for the show. Not ideal.

This got me thinking what if I rocked up to a gig with a wooden stage??

So I had a brain storm.. What about this???

Anyone here tried this? Can you see any problem with it? It does not seem to be triggering the pads and cymbals. Then again the pedal is secure on that carpet in my drum room / office.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:53:28 AM by Dobly »

Offline Th3R00st3r

Re: Bass drum slipping...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »
I had a couple instances where this has happened. Now, I bring my own rug. I also have a 1ft piece of 2x4 with the entire bottom covered in velcro and painted it black. Once I get my kick in place, i just slam the 2x4 with the velcro on in front of it and I haven't had a problem since.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:28:14 PM »
I bought a $30 mat on Amazon when I bought my DM10 kit.  It's an On Stage DMA4450 Drumfire mat.  It's a 6'x4' non-slip mat, and it's been perfect for me for almost 2 years now.  The kit fits entirely on the mat, and I don't have any slippage issues at all.  I don't use the spikes on my kick pad.  My left kick pedal isn't attached to anything, and the pedal alone with no real anti-slip features, doesn't move either. 

Your solution looks like it would work also.  I've had my kick pedal up against my rack before, and haven't had any issues, but it's been while using this mat.  If what you're trying ends up not working, I'd strongly recommend this mat.  Mine's showing some signs of wear, but it's mainly where things have been dropped on it.  Otherwise, I think it's held up wonderfully during almost 2 years of heavy use.

I'll definitely buy another one when it's time to replace this one!

--Shawn.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »
I could do with buying a mat like that. I was away gigging for 3 months this year using an electronic kick pedal (and always getting a little bit annoyed if the surface wasn't ideal) and I really should have used something like that. It's one of these things I just put on the long finger to never buy!