Author Topic: Introducing DMEditor (now version 1.1a and open source!)  (Read 113078 times)

Online Hellfire

Re: Introducing DMEditor!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
I had some more time with it today and let me say this tool is so useful!!! Why Alesis didn't write such a program is beyond me...
Corvidae, small question : Everything is working fine, whatever setting i change is reflected back to the module. However if i switch the unit off, all changes are lost. Are we supposed to manually save the kits using the store button on the module? Just checking if this is the way it works.
You have to save it on the DM10 as well. That is stated in the "Getting Started" page on www.dmeditor.com as step number six:

"6. Save your kit on the DM10."

I hope that helps.

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
Damn, i don't how i could have missed that, i'm terribly sorry  :-[
Thanks a lot Hellfire!

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »
Question... I backed up my DM10 before I sent it out... can I use this to load the backed up SYSEX files back onto my module, or do I have to do it the 'old' way?

You'll want to load the sysex files back to get your trigger settings and such back, but after that, DMEditor should work fine.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »
Thanks, Corvidae!  I'll try to load it up in the next few days and give it a try!
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
Question... I backed up my DM10 before I sent it out... can I use this to load the backed up SYSEX files back onto my module, or do I have to do it the 'old' way?

You'll want to load the sysex files back to get your trigger settings and such back, but after that, DMEditor should work fine.

Unfortunately, it's looking like my backup SYX files are all garbage... I cannot restore any of my old kits or settings...  :( :( :( :(   >:( >:( >:(
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
I've just bashed together a quick soundset file for the BlueJay module. All the default kit settings will still be the same as the stock module, but the instruments should be a bit easier to select. The defaults will be fixed in 1.1, but I figured I throw this out now for those of you who want it.

You'll need to overwrite the stock.xml file with this one (make sure the name is stock.xml, otherwise it won't load). Make a copy, so you can go back and forth.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »
I just tried loading the "metallica" set that was posted here by ungoliant, but when I load it, I can't see any changes in the program interface.  I'm sitting at set #105 when I load it, and I checked all the sets in the list, don't see anything different...

Did I miss something?

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »
[SOLVED] There might be something else going on when I'm using the DMEditor.  When I save the kit #100, after changing the snare head, I'm not seeing anything change on the DM10 module at all.

Any idea why?  I've got the DMEditor set to "Online" and "Auto Kit-change".

[SOLUTION]... I shut down and rebooted, and all is well with DMEditor now... I wonder if all the BS I've been doing with Midi-OX and the SYX files somehow screwed up the USB Midi connection?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:34:43 PM by vtdrummer »

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »
[SOLUTION]... I shut down and rebooted, and all is well with DMEditor now... I wonder if all the BS I've been doing with Midi-OX and the SYX files somehow screwed up the USB Midi connection?

Entirely likely, yeah. Windows' MIDI layer can get stuck on occasion; reboots seem to fix that. Not sure what (if anything) I can do to fix that.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:07 AM »
As we all know, the current solution for sharing kits on the DM10 is, well... lacking. We have to do a full SysEx dump, send it to someone, then they have to restore their module to it, losing all of their custom kits in the process. On top of this, you can't even see what the kit settings look like without destroying yours in the process.

Today, that has changed. We now have a full* online/offline DM10 kit editor! Go here to download version 1.0:

http://www.dmeditor.com

Just unzip it to a directory (no install necessary) and go!

Usage is simple. Connect your DM10 to your PC (both USB and MIDI work), then start the program. If the connection is correct, your DM10 should switch to kit #100; at that point, you're ready to go! Any changes you make in the PC interface should be reflected on the module, allowing you to quickly configure and prototype any sounds you like. When you're done, you can save either the currently selected instrument, the full kit you're working on, or your entire module for use later (or to send to others!)

If you have problems, check the FAQ page. Feel free to create tickets for bug reports (you'll have to register first, though). Any questions can be directed here or via PM.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for taking a look!

Special thanks to Hellfire, who helped with testing and input. You rock! :D

I'm a Qa analyst/software engineer. Maybe I can help with sumthing?

Online Sharkuel

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 03:57:20 AM »
I've just bashed together a quick soundset file for the BlueJay module. All the default kit settings will still be the same as the stock module, but the instruments should be a bit easier to select. The defaults will be fixed in 1.1, but I figured I throw this out now for those of you who want it.

You'll need to overwrite the stock.xml file with this one (make sure the name is stock.xml, otherwise it won't load). Make a copy, so you can go back and forth.

Wait a sec... Is that Bluejay's soundset?! :o If i instal that, do i get the bluejay soundset?!
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 08:40:40 AM »
@Sharkuel:  I'm going to go out on a limb and say "No" it's not the Bluejay soundset, only an XML or settings file that will allow you to load your Bluejay file, if you have one registered to your module.

Besides, it looks way too small...

Offline vaikl

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »

Thanks, works perfect (with the above restrictions before 1.1)!!

Another question: Have you planned to include the Tom4 for the DM10 Studio kits in your left column or will you stay with Perc3 as a name?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:49:00 AM by vaikl »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »
Oh, have encountered an exception error with the BlueJay: When trying to assign sounds to hihat and cymbals, this error occurs when switching to the intsrument in the left column:

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at DMEditor.DMInterface.UploadInstrument(Int32 kit, Int32 instrument)
   at DMEditor.DMInterface.UploadKit(Int32 kit)
   at DMEditor.DM10ModuleSettings.LoadKit(String filename, Int32 kitID)
   at DMEditor.frmMain.menuLoadKit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

On my module the slots for HH/Cyms are not showing their instruments in the correct category any more, i.e. on the HH slot I can't select any sound, it stays on "NONE", the instruments for Crash 1 and Ride are swapped. This happens only for the just loaded kit in your tool, all other kits on the module are working as expected. But I can't correct this false assignments in the affedted kit any more.

Is this new or a matter of the "quick hack" for the BlueJay?

Idea: maybe a "Reset to default Kit/Instr" button could also help for those, who had lost themselves in wrong customization or don't know from where they have started?

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »
Another question: Have you planned to include the Tom4 for the DM10 Studio kits in your left column or will you stay with Perc3 as a name?

I'm planning to keep the same names that are on the module itself. You don't have a Tom4 input, do you (I have a Pro kit, but I'm assuming the module is the same between both sets)?

As for the exception, it appears to be an issue with the hack regarding the default kit settings. I'll try to fasttrack 1.1 and get it out ASAP (probably early next week or so). I'll throw the "reset instrument / kit" function in there with that, too. Sorry for the hassle.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:52:28 AM by Corvidae »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
Sorry for the hassle.

Wasn't a hassle for me, just thought I should share such a notice with you ;)

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
Hi Corvidae,  I'm experiencing issues connecting to my DM10 module on my W7, i3 notebook using USB.

I plug in the module, my computer recognizes it, and I load the DMEditor, but I can see nothing from my module on the screen.  It's all the default settings.

Last night, I got it to connect for just a little while, but tonight, nothing.  I've rebooted twice, powered off and back on completely, tried a different USB port.

Any ideas?

I'm about to try a USB to MIDI cable, to see if I have any better luck.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »
I plug in the module, my computer recognizes it, and I load the DMEditor, but I can see nothing from my module on the screen.  It's all the default settings.

First, the DMEditor doesn't load anything directly *from* your module, it only sends the changes you've made in the software *to* the module. So if you hadn't saved a kit or instrument in DMEditor, saved it afterwards on your module and reloaded the kit or instrument file back into the software, you'll always see a standard parameter setting.

Second, try to clean up your registry from older USB entries. Windows has the bad behaviour to remember no longer used USB device entries in a registry table that don't exceed a certain limit. Take a look here:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic145884.html

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »
Basically yeah, what vaikl said. ;)

I really wish there were a way to have the DM10 send its programming information out other than the SysEx dumps so we _could_ read the info off the module. Unfortunately, that might have to wait for DMOS 2.0 (if it's even in there).

About the best thing you'll be able to do is go through your kits one instrument at a time and recreate them. It should be a reasonably fast process.

If you set the DM10 to a kit that's not #100, start DMEditor, and the kit changes to 100, it's talking just fine to the module. If that's not happening and vaikl's link doesn't help, let me know and I can try to help you work through the problem. Make sure the proper MIDI port is selected under Settings, too (it tries to find the right one, but it's not foolproof).

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
Yeah, it's not changing to kit #100 at all.  I have kits saved from #101 to 111 (with a couple missing in between), and when I plug in, start DMEditor, checked the port, and it says the right one, but the module is at #000 Fusion.

I'll check the USB registry entries, but this is a new notebook, so there are probably not a lot of dead USB entries in there yet.

[update]  I just cleaned my USB registry, and no change.  I think my module has gone wonky... I think I'll start with a factory reset and reload all the Alesis updates back on, then load just the two "good" backups that I found I had.  Now, if I can just find the factory reset...

OK, found it... here goes...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:30:01 AM by vtdrummer »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 10:32:34 AM »
Yeah, it's not changing to kit #100 at all.  I have kits saved from #101 to 111 (with a couple missing in between), and when I plug in, start DMEditor, checked the port, and it says the right one, but the module is at #000 Fusion.

That's because you probably don't have changed the "Program Change" parameter on the module to "Receive". See page 34 of the manual. The tool uses program change commands to switch the kits.

For resetting see page 31.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »
Thanks, Vaikl, that was it.

I'm noticing something odd in the program.  When I go to edit the settings in DMEditor, and I try to set the Vel>Filter in the Editor to match my module, it's not working.

ie;  My module = 40, I enter "40" on the DMEditor, and my module goes to -99.

It's happened in two of the instruments thus far...

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2012, 01:24:13 AM »
Corvidae, you totally rock, man! How nice is that!

- Jimmy Rage
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
I'm noticing something odd in the program.  When I go to edit the settings in DMEditor, and I try to set the Vel>Filter in the Editor to match my module, it's not working.

ie;  My module = 40, I enter "40" on the DMEditor, and my module goes to -99.

That's odd. I'll look into that today. If you move up or down on that setting (to change it from between 39-41), does it stay at -99? If so, can you get it to show anything else?

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2012, 11:42:49 AM »
That's odd. I'll look into that today. If you move up or down on that setting (to change it from between 39-41), does it stay at -99? If so, can you get it to show anything else?

I tried several ways, and it always seemed to end up at -99.  I've moved my module back to my set, in another room right now, but if I can, I'll bring my computer out there and try again in the next day or so.

That was the only place I noticed it on.