Author Topic: DM5 Dead Trigger Input Repair?  (Read 1032 times)

DM5 Dead Trigger Input Repair?
« on: September 07, 2022, 03:02:52 PM »
Thanks in advance for any info/help.

For the past 20 years I've triggered my acoustic kick drums with DDRUM Red Shots running into a DM5. Believe it or not, I've only had to replace those Red Shots a few times over that time. The last time one died was about a month ago during a sound check.

I ordered a replacement, and for the first time I had significant trouble getting it dialed in. After twenty minutes or so of double triggering and false triggering and it not fitting the drum as well as the other Red Shots I've had through the years, the new trigger also died. I sent it back and got yet another replacement. When it arrived, I once again had an unusually hard time getting it dialed in all the same ways (lots of false triggering, it seemingly not fitting on the drum the way they did a handful of years ago, etc.). After messing with it for a while, I was able to get it working and it worked well enough for an entire rehearsal. However, at the very next rehearsal, the false triggering started again as soon as I fired up the DM5 and within a few minutes the trigger was dead. Only this time, so was the trigger input on the DM5.

I have all kinds of questions not all of which are relevant on this forum (like did DDRUM alter the design of the Red Shots, did the Red Shots kill the DM5 trigger input or did the trigger input kill the Red Shots?), but the one thing I would like to know is if it's possible to repair a dead trigger input on the DM5 and of so, how?

Like I stated above, I've had this setup for twenty years with almost no issues at all. Now, I suddenly find myself with an unreliable module (never mind the triggers) and I'm pretty far out of the loop in dealing with such issues. Any advice? Thanks again.   

Offline Chaser

Re: DM5 Dead Trigger Input Repair?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 03:34:11 PM »
Thanks in advance for any info/help.

For the past 20 years I've triggered my acoustic kick drums with DDRUM Red Shots running into a DM5. Believe it or not, I've only had to replace those Red Shots a few times over that time. The last time one died was about a month ago during a sound check.

I ordered a replacement, and for the first time I had significant trouble getting it dialed in. After twenty minutes or so of double triggering and false triggering and it not fitting the drum as well as the other Red Shots I've had through the years, the new trigger also died. I sent it back and got yet another replacement. When it arrived, I once again had an unusually hard time getting it dialed in all the same ways (lots of false triggering, it seemingly not fitting on the drum the way they did a handful of years ago, etc.). After messing with it for a while, I was able to get it working and it worked well enough for an entire rehearsal. However, at the very next rehearsal, the false triggering started again as soon as I fired up the DM5 and within a few minutes the trigger was dead. Only this time, so was the trigger input on the DM5.

I have all kinds of questions not all of which are relevant on this forum (like did DDRUM alter the design of the Red Shots, did the Red Shots kill the DM5 trigger input or did the trigger input kill the Red Shots?), but the one thing I would like to know is if it's possible to repair a dead trigger input on the DM5 and of so, how?

Like I stated above, I've had this setup for twenty years with almost no issues at all. Now, I suddenly find myself with an unreliable module (never mind the triggers) and I'm pretty far out of the loop in dealing with such issues. Any advice? Thanks again.

Welcome to the Forum !

Which version?..do you have the upgraded eprom? If you haven't here are still some on ebay/reverb..in Europe and USA.
"Alesis DM5 Version 1.02 OS Firmware EPROM ROM upgrade kit"

You can run tests to see if it's the DM5 module itself and go from there.
D4/DM5 Drum Modules Service Manual V1.00 (10/17/95)..attached.
The Service Manual and all other literature etc on the sites Home page under Drum Modules/Machines..Manuals and Tech Data Links
These were released in the 1990's....so I would also check the soldering joints at the jack..corrosion etc

5.20 DM5 Self Test..starts on pg 8..pg 9 explains the Trigger Test

8. Trigger Test.
This tests the twelve trigger inputs by playing a sound through the MAIN LEFT output,and triggering a trigger input.
A cable must be connected from the MAIN LEFT output to one of the 12 Trigger Inputs, in order from 1 to 12.
Pressing the STORE button starts the test.
Once the test has been started, connect a cable from the MAIN LEFT output to the Trigger 1 input ONLY!

Do NOT connect the output to all 12 triggers simultaneously!

When the test has started, the LCD will display the message, "Testing Trig 1".
At this point, plug the cable from the MAIN LEFT output into Trigger Input 1.
Soon after, the display should change to "Testing Trig 2".

If the display does not change, or displays the message "Fail Trig 1", then the test has failed for this trigger input.

Pressing the OUTPUT will skip to the next trigger if an error occurs.
Once the display shows "Testing Trig 2",unplug the cable from the Trigger 1 input, and plug it into the Trigger 2 input.
The display should then show "Testing Trig 3".
Repeat the process until all 12 triggers have been tested.

EDIT:
Added links..DM5 Service Manual
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 03:42:11 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 09:42:01 PM »
Hi Chaser,

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure which version module/firmware I have. I plan on figuring that out as soon as I get an opportunity. This trigger input diagnostic test is definitely where I will focus, though. I will update this thread with my results as soon as I can. Thanks again.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 02:40:43 PM »
I never made it to the trigger input test. I plugged in the DM5 and connected a working DDRUM trigger to "Input 1" and it worked. So, it appears that just unplugging everything and letting it sit for a few days was enough to resolve any issues the module may or may not have had going on. My next move will be to purchase better triggers with an eye on updating my module as soon as I can since it's obviously getting a little long in the tooth.

Thanks again for the help.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 08:40:47 PM »
I just added a ddrum trigger to my bass drum and the brain is reading it but no sound is coming out of my headphones any help would be appreciated!