Author Topic: problem with Alesis DM lite Hi-Hat using with GarageBand  (Read 525 times)

problem with Alesis DM lite Hi-Hat using with GarageBand
« on: September 06, 2022, 08:32:12 AM »
Hello, I'm very new to this and was very excited about being able to play a live kit into garageland and change the sounds and quantise it etc, rather than tapping in drums on a keyboard.
I hooked it up via the USB and started playing, it read it straight away, no problem with all of the sounds except the hi-hat.
I cannot play with a closed hi-hat!  It works fine when I'm playing the kit without going through a computer, the hi-hat works as it should, but when I plug it in and I'm trying to record, what happens is, when i push the pedal down I get a closed hi hat sound played once, but when i strike the hi-hat, (with the pedal still down) unfortunately it plays an open hi-hat sound. So I'm sure you'll agree this is absolutely useless  :(. When I push the pedal down again, it plays one closed hi-hat note again, but as soon as I hit the pad it plays an open hat. Any suggestions more than welcome, I feel like I've wasted my money buying the kit if it's not compatible.
There doesn't seem to be any adjustments or settings I can change, or if there are, probably beyond my limited technical skills.
Thank you

Offline Chaser

Re: problem with Alesis DM lite Hi-Hat using with GarageBand
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »
Hello, I'm very new to this and was very excited about being able to play a live kit into garageland and change the sounds and quantise it etc, rather than tapping in drums on a keyboard.
I hooked it up via the USB and started playing, it read it straight away, no problem with all of the sounds except the hi-hat.
I cannot play with a closed hi-hat!  It works fine when I'm playing the kit without going through a computer, the hi-hat works as it should, but when I plug it in and I'm trying to record, what happens is, when i push the pedal down I get a closed hi hat sound played once, but when i strike the hi-hat, (with the pedal still down) unfortunately it plays an open hi-hat sound. So I'm sure you'll agree this is absolutely useless  :( . When I push the pedal down again, it plays one closed hi-hat note again, but as soon as I hit the pad it plays an open hat. Any suggestions more than welcome, I feel like I've wasted my money buying the kit if it's not compatible.
There doesn't seem to be any adjustments or settings I can change, or if there are, probably beyond my limited technical skills.
Thank you

Welcome to the Forum !
The Turbo/Debut/DM Lite/E-Drum Total are based on the Medeli DD401.
They are very limited modules and you cannot change the MIDI assignments.
There is no closed note (42) sent from the module for Hi Hat Closed... just open/pedal/splash
see this Topic

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 09:48:57 AM »
Thanks very much for your quick reply, so it seems recording a proper kit is not possible with budget models!!
Do you know if The Alesis Nitro mesh would do the trick?
Cheers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 10:35:08 AM »
Thanks very much for your quick reply, so it seems recording a proper kit is not possible with budget models!!
Do you know if The Alesis Nitro mesh would do the trick?
Cheers

The Nitro/Surge module is based on the Medeli DD512/514/516.
The module has proper MIDI mapping and the MIDI Note assignments can be changed.
The main difference between the Nitro and Surge is the hardware/triggers... Single Zone vs Dual Zone Toms.
The Surge uses the Industry standard 1-1/2" rack tubing and the Nitro is a mess..2 different sizes of tubing and you have to use clamps specifically for this rack (1-1/8") and one of the biggest complaints is it is small/short...other than that the modules/sounds are the same.
Also note the cymbals are single zone , including the Ride