Author Topic: Will the drum pad of DM7x stand up to being made bass drum?  (Read 1187 times)

I have the Alesis DM7x. HATE that Stealth bass drum. Want to know if a pad normally used as a drum would be able to stand up to being used as a bass drum pad. I cannot get the actual stealth pad thing in a position to use as a regular drum. I have connected the drum pad in such a way as to make it like an upright bass drum and turned the beater around.

Buying any upright bass drum thing made by Alesis is not really an option because them damn things are half the cost of the entire drum set at its original price.

Need to make this an upright bass drum because I just hate that floor pad thing.

Offline Chaser

Re: Will the drum pad of DM7x stand up to being made bass drum?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 12:03:04 PM »
I have the Alesis DM7x. HATE that Stealth bass drum. Want to know if a pad normally used as a drum would be able to stand up to being used as a bass drum pad. I cannot get the actual stealth pad thing in a position to use as a regular drum. I have connected the drum pad in such a way as to make it like an upright bass drum and turned the beater around.

Buying any upright bass drum thing made by Alesis is not really an option because them damn things are half the cost of the entire drum set at its original price.

Need to make this an upright bass drum because I just hate that floor pad thing.

The DM7X originally came with rubber pads and the Stealth Kick 2 with the L-rod mounting underneath the pads...so I presume you have those.
It should work although it may be acoustically louder and depending on if the area the L-rod mounts to is plastic , it may eventually crack as kicking is much more powerful..you may also need to turn up some of the settings as the pad is expecting a stick hit not felt.

The beater shaft for the Stealth Kick 2 is specifically/specially angled/bent for it by "turning it around" isn't it awkward to use as a standard beater?

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 12:11:15 PM »
Yeah, the thing is a little awkward but works better for me than on the floor. At some point will get regular rod that isn't bent. I had built a box to hold up the stupid button thing but it looks stupid and makes a lot of noise that makes it hard for me to hear the drums. I thought the mounting of a pad would be easier.

Yes, the bracket is a rod in a plastic connector. Hate to waste my drum pad but don't know how to mount the regular button unless I use a lot of ducktape and then it is not adjustable.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 12:21:42 PM »
Yeah, the thing is a little awkward but works better for me than on the floor. At some point will get regular rod that isn't bent. I had built a box to hold up the stupid button thing but it looks stupid and makes a lot of noise that makes it hard for me to hear the drums. I thought the mounting of a pad would be easier.

Yes, the bracket is a rod in a plastic connector. Hate to waste my drum pad but don't know how to mount the regular button unless I use a lot of ducktape and then it is not adjustable.

What kick pedal are you using?.. You shouldn't need a box or anything...the Stealth Kick 2 should just clamp onto the pedal like a standard kick drum.

EDIT:
You don't necessarily need an Alesis kick drum...just one that uses a Piezo..
The Simmons KP1 is being blown out on ebay..for $37.49 FREE ship....I can't comment how the quality is as I have never owned one.You will need a standard (straight shaft) beater...you can easily get more than that for a Stealth Kick 2 provided you haven't modified/hacked it up..
The Simmons KP2 Mesh Kick Tower 6 in  is mesh kick...only $64.99 FREE ship but has the Simmons Hex back
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 12:54:35 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 03:18:24 PM »
Sigh.
I MEANT that when I tried to use the button upright as a REGULARLY PLACED drum instead of on the floor I tried to attach it to a wood frame to hold it up as if it were a regular drum like normal and NOT ON THE FLOOR. It was loud and looked like shit. I DONT WANT A DRUM ON THE DAMN FLOOR. This is why I am asking if a regular drum pad would hold up to the constant banging on it because I can fix a drum pad into an upright position very easily.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 03:45:08 PM »
Here are some pictures. The wooden box that I made to hold the floor button up so it would be in the regular position of a normal bass drum is in the closet. It sits upright and holds the button but looks like shit so I don't use it. It is also very loud. The pedal is loud enough.

I want a regular bass drum, OFF the floor in the standard position of a real bass drum this is the point of making the wooden thing which I tried first and now I am trying a pad that is normally not a bass drum pad because I can connect it easier. I have my snare pad on a snare stand and this arm the pad is on in the picture is what used to be the snare holding arm.