Author Topic: DM10 Calibration Fail  (Read 6493 times)

DM10 Calibration Fail
« on: March 09, 2014, 03:28:38 PM »
Hello, first for me to post.  DM10. I'm receiving the same message, "calibration fail try rebooting with drums unplugged or without touching them" I do not have anything plugged in except the power cord.  The power adapter is 12V 1.5 A.
I've cleared the memory, stored and reset all the triggers and kits and stored.  Shut off, wait forever and turn on, only to get the same error.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Khes74

Re: DM10 Calibration Fail
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
Only thing I can thing of is a factory reset.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
I went to:
Utility then F4 SYS.
Then INIT
EXEC on "ALL KITS" and "ALL SEQUENCES" and "ALL TRIGGER SETTINGS"
Stored after each.
Still getting the same error.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »
So I found the manual on line at Alesis and found how to do the full factory reset.  Did it. And I'm still getting the "Calibration fail try rebooting with drums unplugged or without touching them"
Help please.

RESETTING THE MODULE TO FACTORY DEFAULTS

If you ever need to return the module to its original default factory settings, press and hold the EXIT and
STORE buttons simultaneously while turning it on.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
So I found the manual on line at Alesis and found how to do the full factory reset.  Did it. And I'm still getting the "Calibration fail try rebooting with drums unplugged or without touching them"
Help please.

RESETTING THE MODULE TO FACTORY DEFAULTS

If you ever need to return the module to its original default factory settings, press and hold the EXIT and
STORE buttons simultaneously while turning it on.

If you still have the error you will need to call Alesis tech support.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
Have you tried it with all the triggers unplugged?
JimmyB

Offline vappicewins

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 11:25:19 PM »
Very sorry to hear that samkman, that is sad.  How long have you owned the module?  I believe there is a 1 year warranty on the module and triggers.  As Hellfire said, it is time to call Alesis customer support and get to the bottom of this, especially if you bought it new and it is under warranty.  Good luck and let us know if you figure it out please.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 02:50:22 AM »
I'm guessing that you're using a completely wrong power supply - don't!

First off - the power supply should be 9V and not 12V (although 1.5A is fine). And - much more importantly - the power supply must be AC/AC, made for the correct voltage in your country. DO NOT use a more common standard AC/DC power supply.

So - get the right power supply - DO NOT plug in your current power supply again - it won't work, and you risk damaging the module.
The module wants 9V AC - I'm suspecting you're trying to feed it 12V DC...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:06:04 AM by Trondster »
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
I'm guessing that you're using a completely wrong power supply - don't!

First off - the power supply should be 9V and not 12V (although 1.5A is fine). And - much more importantly - the power supply must be AC/AC, made for the correct voltage in your country. DO NOT use a more common standard AC/DC power supply.

So - get the right power supply - DO NOT plug in your current power supply again - it won't work, and you risk damaging the module.
The module wants 9V AC - I'm suspecting you're trying to feed it 12V DC...

I agree with Trondster, the correct power supply needs to supply 9V AC.  My supply says it outputs 9V AC at 1300 mA.  If you also look on the back of the module, it says "AC IN 9V/1.5A".

Not sure how common it is to see a wall wart power supply with AC output.  Usually they are DC, at least here in the US.  Maybe you accidentally plugged in the wrong supply??

Worst case, you could always contact Alesis parts at parts@alesis.com and order a supply or maybe get one on eBay.

Offline RZ

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:48 AM »
Hi.  Sorry you're having a problem.  In trying to trouble shoot, have you done anything to the unit?  Were any changes made at all or did you just turn it on one day and this prompt appeared?

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »
Hello everyone :) I just set up my DM10 for the first time today and I had the exact same problem on initial start up. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 03:18:34 AM »
Could you first check your power supply - that it is the right one, made for the correct voltage in your country, and see how it works if you turn it on with only the power supply plugged in?
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline vappicewins

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »
Quick break at work.  Are you guys listening to the experts here, namely do you have the correct power adapter/voltage?  Did you buy new or used?  This will go a long way in getting these smart men and women helping to get you up and running.  My X10 kit bought new from Musicians Friend is working like a champ so far, but your posts have me a little paranoid.   Let us know the outcome please.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 09:06:47 AM »
Could you first check your power supply - that it is the right one, made for the correct voltage in your country, and see how it works if you turn it on with only the power supply plugged in?

For some strange reason, people don't like this response. I'm not sure why. I guess they are looking for something like, hop on your right foot three times, spin around clock wise once and say Mississippi and your problem will be fixed.  ;D

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 09:08:44 AM »
That always works for me! :-))
JimmyB

Offline RZ

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 10:05:25 AM »
For some strange reason, people don't like this response. I'm not sure why. I guess they are looking for something like, hop on your right foot three times, spin around clock wise once and say Mississippi and your problem will be fixed.  ;D

Actually it's counter clock wise and it works great!  ;)

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »
I had a quirk like that when I set up my DM10... I would always get the Calibration Fail, until I plugged a stereo cable (1/4" TRS) into one of the Crash trigger inputs. The one with the choke function. It's easy to get the crashes backwards, a lot of people did that on accident. (One is single zone, the other is dual zone)
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

Offline vappicewins

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 02:11:53 AM »

LOL!!  Almost on the money Hellfire, but most of us down here in Mississippi are too fat to hop, and definitely can not spin clock wise!!  8) 

I wonder if samk figured it out?  I hope so, but he or she must not love their's as much as I do mine, I'd be following all tips and tweaks to the letter to get back up and running because kit 45 is like a drug to me!!

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2023, 10:38:19 PM »
I can confirm that the power supply needs to be 9V AC.  I borrowed the DM10 from a friend and he mistakenly gave me a 12V power adapter that fit the module and even powered it, but caused a ?calibration fail? message and no sound output. Everything else worked fine.  I was shocked, nay electrified, that this was the issue. I bought this 9V adapter, and now everything works fine: https://www.amazon.com/T-Power-Adapter-Compatible-Electronic-Performance/dp/B0147OJCLC/