Author Topic: cannot get Nitro to trigger Superior Drummer 3 - USB MIDI with Local OFF  (Read 3170 times)

HELP!

I have researched, watched every Youtube video about it, and covered all the bases in all manuals, and am confident I have the basics right - Midi setup in my iMac AND in SD3 recognizes Alesis MIDI, and I choose and apply it, but the Alesis pads don't drive the software. Saw a tip online about changing USB inputs, but I've tried every option - direct, powered hub, etc. and the MIDI shows up in SD3 as the MIDI option, but no pad data is sent to the program (or Garageband, when SD3 is a plugin).
I have my Alesis Nitro drum module Local OFF.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Offline Chaser

Re: cannot get Nitro to trigger Superior Drummer 3 - USB MIDI with Local OFF
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 08:08:52 PM »
HELP!

I have researched, watched every Youtube video about it, and covered all the bases in all manuals, and am confident I have the basics right - Midi setup in my iMac AND in SD3 recognizes Alesis MIDI, and I choose and apply it, but the Alesis pads don't drive the software. Saw a tip online about changing USB inputs, but I've tried every option - direct, powered hub, etc. and the MIDI shows up in SD3 as the MIDI option, but no pad data is sent to the program (or Garageband, when SD3 is a plugin).
I have my Alesis Nitro drum module Local OFF.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

In SD3 under Settings > MIDI In/E-Drums do you have the MIDI channel set to 10?

If no change check to be sure MIDI is getting through from the module...for Mac use MIDI Monitor

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 10:12:12 PM »
Actually, I ran MIDI Monitor, and that app could see the Nitro MIDI signal, but no pad hits registered. So I assume that means that the Nitro Module IS NOT passing MIDI data through to my computer, even though the MIDI signal is recognized by my iMac. So what could be blocking the MIDI data from being output from the module, either via USB or the 5-pin MIDI cable?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »
Actually, I ran MIDI Monitor, and that app could see the Nitro MIDI signal, but no pad hits registered. So I assume that means that the Nitro Module IS NOT passing MIDI data through to my computer, even though the MIDI signal is recognized by my iMac. So what could be blocking the MIDI data from being output from the module, either via USB or the 5-pin MIDI cable?

Alesis drum modules are Class Compliant but in MacOS there can be some oddities with Core MIDI...depends on which macOS..also changing or using the wrong power supply causes issues..
Alesis used to have a USB MIDI Troubleshooting Guide for MacOS and "how to fix recognized.. but non working " etc..but I just checked and the link is still dead

SD3 also has a MIDI Analyzer in the MIDI in/E-Drums Section..it will show "Waiting for MIDI" if not receiving a MIDI signal

If you are sure Local Control is OFF,Nitro is selected as MIDI device in SD3/Standalone..(if used as Vst you would select Nitro as MIDI device in the DAW/Garageband..or if using 5 PIN MIDI you would select the Audio/MIDI interface you are connected to/using) Apple provides Tests/Troubleshooting you can do to see if a MIDI signal is getting to the computer.

There is a drop down Menu for selecting your OS as it's different per OS  (High Sierra/Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey)

Test your MIDI connection in Audio MIDI Setup on Mac

Set up MIDI devices using Audio MIDI Setup on Mac

If the module still fails to send a MIDI signal..I would do a Factory Reset..Hold down < and > simultaneously while powering on.
If you don't care about your current trigger settings then I would do the Factory Reset first..check for MIDI signal..then do all the troubleshooting if still needed..

EDIT:
I don't know which macOS you are using but I checked compatabilty and the Nitro is listed up to Big Sur..but Alesis is still testing for Monterey.

Alesis | macOS 11 Big Sur and iOS14 Compatibility

Alesis | macOS 12 Monterey Compatibility
We encourage all our users to remain on their current OS until all necessary hardware and software products have been qualified for use with the macOS Monterey operating system.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:32:59 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 11:07:07 AM »
Chaser,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. I tested the MIDI coming from the Nitro module using MIDI Monitor, and it appears the module is simply not passing trigger data. I can see clock info coming through, and other buttons on the module create a response in MIDI Monitor, but hitting the pads or striking the drum buttons on the module don't send anything. It would appear the module may be faulty. This is unfortunate, since I am living in Peru (I'm from Northern Califorina) and shipping it back to Alesis is unrealistic. Luckily, I have a different module coming in a couple of weeks, and I anticipate it won't have the same problem.

George

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 12:34:50 PM »
Chaser,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. I tested the MIDI coming from the Nitro module using MIDI Monitor, and it appears the module is simply not passing trigger data. I can see clock info coming through, and other buttons on the module create a response in MIDI Monitor, but hitting the pads or striking the drum buttons on the module don't send anything. It would appear the module may be faulty. This is unfortunate, since I am living in Peru (I'm from Northern Califorina) and shipping it back to Alesis is unrealistic. Luckily, I have a different module coming in a couple of weeks, and I anticipate it won't have the same problem.

George

Sorry to hear that..this module/design has been around for over 10 years (Medeli DD512) , just licensed/rebranded.
Medeli modules usually have a internal test mode , unfortunately I don't have one of these modules or the key/pad combinations for it as I do for the others DD650..(Command/Crimson/IIDM10 MKII Studio/Forge) and the DD680 (DM10 MKII Pro)

Drum modules are basically TMI (Trigger to MIDI Interfaces) and Local Control is for selecting where to send the MIDI..ON=Internal Sound Generator..OFF = External.
However I have found that Medeli modules (all the ones I have..DD650..DD680..STRIKE..) will still send MIDI out even if Local Control is set to OFF.
Do the Internal sounds still play?..have you checked MIDI output with Local Control ON?...just curious if it's a firmware or hardware issue.

Another way to test the MIDI signal is setup a MIDI loop...connect  a 5 PIN MIDI cable to the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports on the module and to set LOCAL CONTROL=OFF.. GM MODE ON..The module should now be sending MIDI out and receiving MIDI and triggering the GM Bank/Section (AKA Percussion Section) of the module.
The GM Kits/Backing Instruments etc are listed in the DD512 manual starting on page 32.
If you set LOCAL CONTROL= ON..GM MODE ON..both Internal sections (Digital Drums and GM) will trigger simultaneously.

EDIT:
Added Medeli manual links
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 04:08:56 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 12:16:34 AM »
However I have found that Medeli modules (all the ones I have..DD650..DD680..STRIKE..) will still send MIDI out even if Local Control is set to OFF.

Is the Strike a Medeli module? I thought it developed in house. If not, is there a Medeli-branded version as well?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 02:50:30 AM »

Is the Strike a Medeli module? I thought it developed in house. If not, is there a Medeli-branded version as well?
Just poorly written..must have been in a hurry or on my iPad..
The STRIKE Multipad is Medeli..neither The STRIKE Module or STRIKE Multipad have a Local Control setting