Author Topic: Strike Pro SE Hi Hat - Semi-Closed problem  (Read 682 times)

Strike Pro SE Hi Hat - Semi-Closed problem
« on: December 23, 2020, 01:12:15 PM »
Hi, everyone. I'm a new Alesis Strike Pro SE owner. I received my Xmas present earlier this week. Setup and minor config changes went smoothly! However, I can't seem to adjust the hi-hat pedal settings to achieve something that doesn't fundamentally change my playing style. On my acoustic kit, I'm used to just slightly backing off the pressure on the pedal to get a nice, sloshy, semi-closed sound.

The problem with this new setup is that I have to "open the hats" much, much more (perhaps .75" of rod travel) before I can get the first "non-closed" sample to trigger. This is on every kit - even the "larger" ones that have all five hi-hat samples. I've opened up the strike editor, and tried to adjust the thresholds for the semi-closed to be a bit wider (126 to 70) but that just makes it a bit easier to put the pedal in the right range for the semi-closed sound - but it doesn't change the fact that I still have to move the hats farther than I want to reliably trigger that sound. I've also messed with the pedal curves, the splash setting and the offset, to no avail.

I've played a cheap Roland kit before - but it only had a separate, disconnected pedal - like on the Turbo Mesh. Perhaps the optical sensors were a little more sensitive?  I've heard that the Alesis triggers relay on spring pressure. At this point, I am thinking that unfortunately, it's going to be a "hardware" issue - and I assume it's more of a balancing act between having the right spring tension and length to prevent double triggers and ensure you get a reliable chick and "closed" sound - but also minimizing the length of rod travel you need before you get that first "semi-closed" sample variant.

Thoughts?

Mylo

Re: Strike Pro SE Hi Hat - Semi-Closed problem
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
DAMN. I'm a dope. Maybe next time I should RTFM.

I assumed that the hi-hat controller should just sit on the felt pad, like the bottom cymbal does. When I read the troubleshooting guide on the Alesis site, it says that you should REMOVE that felt pad. Problem solved. The pedal reacts properly now...

What a dope I am....

Mylo

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 03:19:48 PM »
DAMN. I'm a dope. Maybe next time I should RTFM.

I assumed that the hi-hat controller should just sit on the felt pad, like the bottom cymbal does. When I read the troubleshooting guide on the Alesis site, it says that you should REMOVE that felt pad. Problem solved. The pedal reacts properly now...

What a dope I am....

Mylo

Welcome to the Forum !
Don't be so hard on yourself..we are not like that in this forum..
You are not the 1st to leave the felt on and more than likely not the last..I do know in the Alesis forum (now defunct)
someone who actually boxed it all up and sent it back...got a new one..did the same thing..
I presume you did manage to find the Alesis Strike Kit - Hi-Hat Configuration and Troubleshooting which Alesis didn't make easy to find..

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 03:31:31 PM »
I did, Chaser. Thanks. I also found this post: https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=8605.0, where another forum member was trying to dial in his hi-hat settings. Now that it is working about 75% better, I might go back to the default Alesis settings, and see the effect of Onyx's pedal settings to see if they work even better for me.

I have to say, that for a moment there I was really bummed. I mean the Strike module is so very tweak-able, especially with the Strike Editor - that I was convinced that I could eventually find the right settings. But after a couple of days of messing around with no discernible progress made - I was about to consider hardware changes - or accept the fact that I will just have to "play differently". It was definitely the biggest dark cloud over an otherwise amazing kit and I'm glad it's gone.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure that I will have a lot more questions as I dive deeper.

Mylo