Author Topic: Hello and help please with DM10 Drum module issues  (Read 7996 times)

Hello and help please with DM10 Drum module issues
« on: January 16, 2021, 08:27:49 PM »
Hi all,
I have just bought a 2nd hand DM10 MK1 kit.  It was pretty cheap but it works....Pretty much.  I am a total electronic drum kit novice.  But I have played real drums for years and years. 
BUT
It has issues.  I have have a read on here a bit earlier on and I found out how to test it.  The Flash CRC check fails.  The slider check fails for slider PRC3.  All the other tests passed OK

The problem I am having is that the 3rd slider from the left (PERC3) doesn't work.  Also when I move slider one it drops slider 3 to almost zero and stays there until a reboot.  If the slider is all the way up I can play the toms but as soon as I move it it drops to almost zero.  Also when I turn it on it fails calibration every time.  I have calibrated the hi hat pedal.

I have tried a bit of contact cleaner.  No joy.  I have done a factory reset.  No joy.

The Boot OS is version 1.00e, Trig OS is V1.00a, Sound ROM is V1.03, Sound OS is V1.00p

I have checked the PSU and it looks like it is an AC/AC adapter interestingly.  Its an TDC power DB-12-09 9~V Max 12VA 230-240v 50hz UK plug. 

http://php2.twinner.com.tw/site/product_detail/geans/index.php?Product_SN=89684&PHPSESSID=blixnzcbvxpnyamtmibaaqxgzrrcyqxa&Company_SN=17264&Product_Site_Classify_SN=15616

I have read here this might be relevant.

I am fairly handy with fixing laptops so I am probably able to find and solder in a new slider/potentiometer or fit a new board.  I think they are available but I have no idea how to fit one as I haven't looked inside and I can't find a service manual.

I think its worth putting some time and money into this DM10 to get it working properly.  Like I say all the pads work fine as far as I can tell.

Your thoughts ladies and gentlemen please.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:47:39 AM by Two-Six »

Re: Hello and help please with DM10 Drum module issues
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 05:12:16 PM »
So I have now updated all the firmware and wot not.  I also did another FLASH test and this time it passed.!

Sadly the issue with the slider still persists., so does the calibration error at power-on, even with the hit hat control disconnected.

I could really do with a service manual.  I know there is one out there somewhere but it is being held to ransom from some pretty dubious manual seller web sites.

What I want to be able to do is to open the thing up and have a look inside.  I would like to be able to clean the tracking on the slider.  Hopefully that will help.  I can also identify it and perhaps get another one and even solder in a new one.

Perhaps I could get another board or another DM10 or EVEN another drum brain that might work with my hardware.

Guys, lovely Alesis people, I could do with any info about what tree to bark up, even if its the wrong tree. Any comments on my current situation would be welcome.

Come on don't be shy :-)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 08:15:08 PM »
So I have now updated all the firmware and wot not.  I also did another FLASH test and this time it passed.!

Sadly the issue with the slider still persists., so does the calibration error at power-on, even with the hit hat control disconnected.

I could really do with a service manual.  I know there is one out there somewhere but it is being held to ransom from some pretty dubious manual seller web sites.

What I want to be able to do is to open the thing up and have a look inside.  I would like to be able to clean the tracking on the slider.  Hopefully that will help.  I can also identify it and perhaps get another one and even solder in a new one.

Perhaps I could get another board or another DM10 or EVEN another drum brain that might work with my hardware.

Guys, lovely Alesis people, I could do with any info about what tree to bark up, even if its the wrong tree. Any comments on my current situation would be welcome.

Come on don't be shy :-)

It's a tough decision for the module...in the UK and the US there are on ebay for 200-300 range (USD).Alesis triggers are compatible with a wide range of modules (stay away from Yamaha)..Mid range Intermediate modules ..Medeli DD650..aka Crimson/II.. DM10 MKII Studio..Command etc are in the same price range but don't support a 2 cable ride.
Instrumentalparts carries the board and other replacements...84.00 USD and ships flat rates Worldwide.
They may carry (or know where to source one) just the slider/fader but you would have to ask

A lot of times individual parts and the labor/time to install exceed the purchase of a another module..and it might not solve the problem.
Typically the calibration error was a mix up of cymbals...with the wrong crash in input 7.

If the cymbals are correct..
 Check and see if calibration fails with everything disconnected at power on..Then plug in one at a time..power on/off in between...eventually you'll know which input when the error pops up...
I have never seen a DM10 service manual in 10 years so beware of the manual sites..

Offline DannyM

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 11:22:42 PM »
Hello Chaser, Two Six.
I read this post and last night I was exploring the Alesis web site for some clues on an issue I have with the Strike module and I think I stumbled across the manual you are looking for, Maybe, Chaser, if you read this , maybe see If I am correct and let me know please.
I have gotten help here so if I can ever help, I am glad to do so.
On the Alesis website, if you glide your cursor over the Headers "Company" next to " Products" it will list other headers, "Legacy is to the far right, click on that.
You will see "discontinued" and a list of all of the products.
You can find the DM10 and it has the same page  with the overview, specs, downloads and such.
Not sure if the firmware stuff still works, but I opened the manual and read through it.
I added a couple of screen shots, Hope this helps, if not the have the other versions listed as well.

Here is the links,

https://www.alesis.com/products/view/dm10

https://7132afa424c2f1a2ab6d-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/917/documents/dm10_module___operator__s_manual___revc.pdf
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:24:55 PM by DannyM »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 12:51:51 AM »
That is the standard Operators manual or what is now called "User Guide"
The service manual will be filled with technical info...diagnostics..schematics..testing/trouble shooting procedures..part numbers etc...

You'll find more info for the STRIKE Module under the knowlegde base.

https://www.alesis.com/kb/search/Strike

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 05:20:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  All good stuff.  I will have a proper go at isolating the source of the calibration error. 

So has anybody taken their DM10 apart? 
If you have is it easy enough and fairly safe to do so or is it a nightmare that is best avoided?
How best to take one apart so I can get a look at the offending slider/board?
Are there any special things to be done to a new board, like reprogramming things or calibrating stuff?

What would be a good brain to get as a replacement?  A friend pointed out the rack version of the DM10 is it the DM5?  They look like they are cheaper than the non rack version.  Perhaps I should just get another brand new module of some kind.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »
The calibration error is fixed.  It was the wrong cymbal plugged into socket 7/crash1.  I didn't realise it was a chokeable one.  Nice.

So now its the slider issue.  It's still not working.  It might just be gunk in there.  perhaps i can give it a clean.

Also is there any benefit in taking off the heads to clean in there or do anything that might make things work better?

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 03:55:32 PM »
I took it apart tonight.  It still works!
Actually is wasn't too hard, a few screws and it came apart, then I unscrewed  the top board from the top of the case so I could see the sliders.  I didn't have to disconnect any cables to get to the bits.

I tried cleaning out thw sliders with contact cleaner then I tested them with a volt meter measuring resistance.  All of them show 1.7 K ohms and zero the one that doesn't work show 1.7Kohms and when it should show zero it shows 1.95Mohms! 

I am not too sure what that means, is that 1.95 M ohms showing an open circuit isn't it?  Almost no contact right?  A burned out track perhaps?  There is a smell of burning electronics in there too.

Anyway written on the sliders is 1291 10K B2, they have 3 pins, 3mm's apart and 50 mm's distanced.  They measure 600mm's length and are 7.5mm wide.

I have found a few on ebay for cheap so i need to double check they are the right ones and try to replace it.  I think I can do this!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 11:32:20 AM »
i have a DM10 Studio kit and a DM10 MK2 pro kit.
My problems is that the pads stop working propely or died, but the 2 Drum-modules working fine.......  >:(

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 01:04:57 PM »
I think I have managed to fix the slider by replacing it. 
I needed a single pole linear 10k potentiometer with a 60mmx7mmx7mm casing and 45 mm's of travel. 
YAY!