Author Topic: Kit Editor for Samplepad/SampleRack  (Read 3642 times)

Kit Editor for Samplepad/SampleRack
« on: August 23, 2020, 03:29:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've developed a desktop-based kit editor for the Alesis SampleRack and SamplePad Pro. To date, I've only been able to test it with my own SampleRack, so I'd love to have other people try it out and make sure it works with the SamplePad Pro as well. If you try it and have any issues, please let me know!

Editing kits on the hardware is cumbersome, and sample file names are limited to 8 characters and therefor not descriptive and are hard to search for when building a kit. The goal of this software is to make the kit building process a lot quicker and more intuitive. There are definitely some known bugs that I'm working through. And I'd love any and all feedback on this, if there's anything I could do to make it work better for you.

Details are here: https://github.com/LesserChance/samplepad-editor

Re: Kit Editor for Samplepad/SampleRack
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 05:00:57 AM »
I downloaded it and got a warning for a virus...

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 03:58:31 PM »
Oh no! Can you give me any more information on what it said?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:19:25 PM »
I downloaded it and got a warning for a virus...
I have downloaded every version since this project started just to watch it's progress and never received any warning.
I just downloaded v0.6 again and no warnings etc.
Check your Anti-Virus Software.Many don't allow .exe downloads if it doesn't recognize the signature or if the code looks anything remotely like a virus.
There are a few such as McAfee that flag everything thing as a False Positive.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 05:10:01 AM »
That may be it. I haven't scoped it out thoroughly...

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 10:44:12 AM »
I just got a Samplepad Pro and hate the on board kit maker, is this still valid? How do you install and use it? Thank you

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 12:30:30 PM »
I just got a Samplepad Pro and hate the on board kit maker, is this still valid? How do you install and use it? Thank you

The SamplePad/Rack Editor is for building kits on the SD Card outside of the SamplePad/Rack..You don't even have to have the SamplePad/Rack connected...just the SD Card.
You can't export the samples from the SamplePad/Rack

It's pretty straight forward...insert the SD Card into the computer (or a card reader) if the computer doesn't have that option....
The Editor will ask to load the SD Card...
The SD Card from the Sample Pad/Rack will have a KITS folder and the Root (no folders) will have all the samples you have stored...
and just an FYI...you don't actually need an SD Card...I have used USB stick drives formatted to FAT32 and it still works , so you can build/backup/store all your kits on a USB drive and create a data base and Transfer to a SD Card later or in case of a card failure etc.

Once loaded select New Kit and start importing samples,be aware you can import one sample or a entire folder,but you can't delete an entire folder of samples using the Editor,only one at a time and only if loaded into a kit piece , so don't import 100's of samples and fill up the SD Card if you are only going to use 1 or 2 in a folder..plan on which samples ahead of time otherwise you'll be searching through the root folder and deleting what you don't want
You can then drag and drop the samples onto each Kit piece and A/B layers..reassign MIDI Notes and edit.

The trick is organizing the samples as being in the root drive there isn't any folder structure.