Author Topic: DMPad Cymbal Mount  (Read 8945 times)

DMPad Cymbal Mount
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:47:36 PM »
I have a pretty simple question, when you buy a single DMPad 12" Cymbal from alesis, does it come with a mount/clamp/stand that will allow you to attach it to the DM6 frame?

If not, are there any cheap mounts that will work with the DM6?  Also, does the cymbal come with cables to connect it to the module?

Offline CXK

Re: DMPad Cymbal Mount
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
I'm glad I found this, I was going to ask the exact same question.  But I have the DM10 Studio kit.  I dont know if the frames are the same thickness.

Offline Yankee

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
I can't answer directly, but I do know the DM6 rack uses standard 1 1/2" tubes so most any standard rack mount will work.

Every pad I've ever bought from Alesis has come with a cable...but... The DM6 uses a cable harness so it may not be of much use, unless you're splitting the dual zone snare channel and trading the rim trigger for an additional crash.

...Yankee
E-Kits: Alesis DM10 Studio, Alesis DM5, Alesis DM6 w/ DIY Mesh Conversion's
A-Kits: Gretsch Catalina Maple 6pc Cherry Red; 64 Slingerland 4pc Gold Sparkle

Offline CXK

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
Could this work with my Alesis DM-10?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LLPV7E/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I know its not the best cymbal but the mounting hardware is nearly as much as this whole package.

Offline Yankee

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure the Alesis single zone cymbals and the Ion one you linked are exactly the same...made by the same manufacture. It will work just fine with the DM10 as a single zone crash, splash or china; just as long as you're not expecting any more from it like choke or ride/bell functions.

...Yankee
E-Kits: Alesis DM10 Studio, Alesis DM5, Alesis DM6 w/ DIY Mesh Conversion's
A-Kits: Gretsch Catalina Maple 6pc Cherry Red; 64 Slingerland 4pc Gold Sparkle

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
thanks Yankee, kind of a shame that it doesnt come with a mount, since those can be expensive, like CXK said.  I realized after i posted that you would need another cable deal, but i hadnt thought of splitting the snare channel. 

Honestly, i dont really like the dm6 all that much, actually.  Unless theres a way to adjust the sensitivity that isnt in the manual, since i cant figure it out.  Right now all I'd seriously use it for is to practice sometimes, not as a main kit to drum on.

Offline BH

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
I split my Toms and used the single zone Ion Pads they work great and as Yankee stated they are the same, the mount and stand is a little different but the cymbal pad itself the same. and for the price ;D

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
I emailed Alesis because I wanted to buy cymbal arms and rack mounts but you cant find them anywhere. They said if you call them you can purchase them for alesis. The long arms are 45 and short are 35. Your better off buying gibralter arms off amazon. Alesis is a rip off when i comes to that stuff.
Alesis DM10 Studio /w pearl mesh heads, Alesis Trigger I/O, Mapex Falcon double pedal, Roc N Soc throne, Vic Firth sticks, Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry expansion, Sonar 1x Studio

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules"

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »
i just registered an account here to address this thread. I too was looking for an extra cymbal and mount. Alesis product support was supposed to email me back with mount product numbers, but never did. So therefore I tried one of the Rock Band 2 ION cymbals. Namely this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LLPV7E

As someone said earlier, the cymbals could be the same as the Alesis ones. I am in agreement. the cymbals look EXACTLY the same, just without the Alesis name stamped on them. Same weight and all. The mounting bracket is different from the stock alesis DM-10 ones. Much less sturdy. They also require sliding onto the rack from an end, as the bracket is only one piece, and not 2 pieces like the factory brackets. The mounting pole is also much longer. I switched it with the mount on my Ride cymbal because it was closer to the end of my rack. I put my new cymbal on the Ride's shorter mount and put it in the front of my kit. It seems perfectly sturdy enough despite being made of weaker material.

TLDR: This Rock band 2 ION Cymbal pack is fine for DM-10 kits. Same cymbal as the single cymbal that coems with the DM-1. (There is NO Choke.)

(If anyone wants comparison pics, let me know.)

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
I just broke down and ordered a gibralter cymbal arm off ebay for 18 dollars. Alesis wanted 35 to 45 dollars for one depending on the size. F that!
Alesis DM10 Studio /w pearl mesh heads, Alesis Trigger I/O, Mapex Falcon double pedal, Roc N Soc throne, Vic Firth sticks, Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry expansion, Sonar 1x Studio

Offline CXK

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »
i just registered an account here to address this thread. I too was looking for an extra cymbal and mount. Alesis product support was supposed to email me back with mount product numbers, but never did. So therefore I tried one of the Rock Band 2 ION cymbals. Namely this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LLPV7E

As someone said earlier, the cymbals could be the same as the Alesis ones. I am in agreement. the cymbals look EXACTLY the same, just without the Alesis name stamped on them. Same weight and all. The mounting bracket is different from the stock alesis DM-10 ones. Much less sturdy. They also require sliding onto the rack from an end, as the bracket is only one piece, and not 2 pieces like the factory brackets. The mounting pole is also much longer. I switched it with the mount on my Ride cymbal because it was closer to the end of my rack. I put my new cymbal on the Ride's shorter mount and put it in the front of my kit. It seems perfectly sturdy enough despite being made of weaker material.

TLDR: This Rock band 2 ION Cymbal pack is fine for DM-10 kits. Same cymbal as the single cymbal that coems with the DM-1. (There is NO Choke.)

(If anyone wants comparison pics, let me know.)
Thanks!  I'm late getting back to this thread.  Do you know about how long the cable that comes with it is?  I imagine its pretty short.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:43:42 PM by CXK »

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 12:21:22 PM »
Honestly, I can't even remember if it came with a cable or not. I know I ordered a cable from amazon just in case. And I think that is what I'm using.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010CHHK8

This one.

Offline CXK

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »
I just broke down and ordered a gibralter cymbal arm off ebay for 18 dollars. Alesis wanted 35 to 45 dollars for one depending on the size. F that!
Which arm was that btw?

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
I dont see it on there anymore but it was simalar to this one but this one is 20 dollars. Still not a bad price.

http://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-Cymbal-Boom-Arm-Standard/dp/B003CGY2LW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1308840515&sr=8-5

Offline Willyvee

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 12:13:15 AM »
Something I like about the cymbal arms on the DM10 Studio (2011) are the mounts with a tab to keep the cymbal from spinning on you- I could never get my Pintech pies tight enough- really clever idea.  I agree with buying a Gibraltar, although I have to say companies like DW (though they make really nice stuff) charge a TON for that sort of thing.  I had a DW adapter that had two L brackets (like you would use to mount toms) with two "dog bones" and a cymbal boom arm in each dog bone- got it "on sale" but it was supposedly originally like $150 or something crazy like that (this has been a few years ago).  So far I am really impressed with the DM10 studio- especially considering that the module costs 699 and the kit usually runs 999 (or 799 if you got it over the last couple of weeks).  My pintech E-gig rack was terrible- would barely stand on it's own- this four leg configuration is really good- very easy to deal with.  Tom mounts could be a bit easier to adjust some angles, but again, an excellentsolution that does it's juob well at an incredible price.

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:02:19 AM »
i use the aquarian cymbal springs to keep my cymbals from spinning. They work good. They run about 8 to 11 dollars each.

Offline drumday

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 12:25:54 PM »
Great idea, S2002.  Thanks.
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.