Author Topic: Multi ply mesh heads with loose plys?  (Read 3505 times)

Multi ply mesh heads with loose plys?
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
I recently tried to convert my 10 inch snare pad on my DM10 studio to mesh head using the Billy Blast Balistech II 3ply mesh head using exactly hellfire method.

The loose plys in the head cause lumpy, uneven playing surface with soft spots that don't trigger the same because of the plys blousing up underneath the top layer, and the hoop is just too tight to tighten past the black plastic wrap on the wooden hoop.

My question then is do Heart Dynamics, Roland, or Pintech mesh heads have these same qualities (particularly the multi plys being loose from each other and unvevenly blousing up?)

I see the potential in the mesh head setup, but I am so glad i only ordered the one head from Billy Blast, as I don't see a physical solution to the problem. I hope that one of the other manufacturers multiply heads are not like this.

Offline Trondster

Re: Multi ply mesh heads with loose plys?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
I have absolutely no issues with my 2ply Roland heads. Living in the EU I have more buying options, but I got a good deal on the Roland heads from the local music store. The Roland heads are considered one of the (If not the) most durable ones, but the same goes for their pricyness. ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:58:17 PM by Trondster »
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
so the two plys are pretty much stuck together or at least the exact same size and shape so they don't bunchup? If they  dont separate  it may be worth the extra money.

I have about decided i could tighten the crap outta it and make most of the wrinkles in the underlying ply on the BB II dissapear if is wasn't for the hoop size. may just take the veneer off of the wooden hoop, just be ugly if i do , then gotta paint it or sumthin.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:52:39 AM »
You must tighten just about any multi-ply mesh head to get it even, but it's a shame if there's no room to tighten it..
I had no problems tightening my own heads, but I don't know how thick your 3-ply heads are.

But, regardless of any lumps, you should normally be able to tighten the drum head - maybe some 3-ply users could chime in?
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
We must remember all the heads have there downside.  The down side of roland heads is that they cost to much money.  I have a DM10 pro kit and have three 10" pads and four 8 inch pads.  There is no way I would spend almost 40 bucks for each roland head.  Roland makes really good product, but most of their stuff is over priced and lets face it people you are just paying for the name.  The billyblast 3 ply heads are really nice and can with stand up to those really heavy hitters, but a they are not good for a really high tension.  They are really good for those heavy hitters that dont like a whole lot of rebound.  The pearl muffle heads are single ply and really good for those people that like a hight tension in their heads and a lot of rebound.  Personally I love the pearl heads.  They perform very well and dont let your eyes fool you they can stand up to some pretty heavy hitting.  Maybe not as much as the 2 and 3 plys but still pretty heavy.   Ive had mine for over 4 months now and Im not extremly heavy hitter but im no featherweigth eather.  Plus they only cost about 7 buck each, you cant beat that.  I really hate that you can see through them though.  That drives me crazy.  I hate looking at the inside of my drum.....lol.  There are also, the pintechs and hart dynamic heads too.  Hart heads are really expensive and cost around the same as the roland heads.  Cant say anything about them because Ive never played on them.  Pintech heads are single ply heads and to me they are the same as the pearl heads.  They cost twice as much as the pearl heads though, but are still half the price of roland and hart. 

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
I have used the Billy Blast 3ply heads without any problem. I did notice that I have to tighten the 10" more than my 8" heads to get a good bounce, but not substantially. When off the drum there isn't any perceptible bunchiness in the head. Perhaps you received a bad one?

Offline crime_fightin_bug

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, response was "crank 'em down" so I did. Fixed it right up.