Author Topic: Help triggering SMP sounds via MIDI  (Read 1588 times)

Help triggering SMP sounds via MIDI
« on: February 17, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »
I'm trying to trigger sounds on my Strike Multipad from an external MIDI source (via the DIN input, not the USB)
I'm not having ANY luck, and can't find any docs that are helpful.

I can tell that I'm getting MIDI 'on the wire' when I monitor with MIDI-OX,
But when I plug into the MIDI in on the SMP: nothing.

I'm running firmware version 1.2 on the SMP, if that makes any difference.
Any documents/notes about the SMP midi implementation will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Chaser

Re: Help triggering SMP sounds via MIDI
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 07:40:32 PM »
I'm trying to trigger sounds on my Strike Multipad from an external MIDI source (via the DIN input, not the USB)
I'm not having ANY luck, and can't find any docs that are helpful.

I can tell that I'm getting MIDI 'on the wire' when I monitor with MIDI-OX,
But when I plug into the MIDI in on the SMP: nothing.

I'm running firmware version 1.2 on the SMP, if that makes any difference.
Any documents/notes about the SMP midi implementation will be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks in advance!

Check make sure MIDI Channels Match..MIDI Output from External Controller and MIDI Input for the Multipad...for example typically Drums are channel 10..also 5pin to USB is OFF....the rest of the settings under UTILITY can be on or off..depends on if have a 5 Pin MIDI Out connected and sending MIDI  thru or control other external devices or allow program changes (minimal..only for kit change) etc
UTILITY > Global Midi Channel 10
UTILITY>5-Pin MIDI to USB =OFF

EDIT:
I forgot to mention if you want the Multipads pads to also trigger while having external triggering set Local Control=ON
Under each pad to set the MIDI note to match the External Trigger MIDI Note press PAD>OUTPUT>MIDI Note Output..
MIDI Notes In and Out on the Multipad are the same Note.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:03:54 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:04:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I tried your settings; double-checked channels etc.  Still no joy.

The device I'm using to send the midi is an 'e-drumin' PAD/MIDI unit from AudioFront.
It has a USB port and 5-pin DIN port and both send MIDI. 
I can see that it's sending MIDI just fine over USB into my laptop -- but I can't diagnose if it's sending over its 5-pin DIN.
I'm going to check in with AudioFront and also see if I can run down a 2nd 5-pin MIDI device for a/b testing.

Thanks again for the reply.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I tried your settings; double-checked channels etc.  Still no joy.

The device I'm using to send the midi is an 'e-drumin' PAD/MIDI unit from AudioFront.
It has a USB port and 5-pin DIN port and both send MIDI. 
I can see that it's sending MIDI just fine over USB into my laptop -- but I can't diagnose if it's sending over its 5-pin DIN.
I'm going to check in with AudioFront and also see if I can run down a 2nd 5-pin MIDI device for a/b testing.

Thanks again for the reply.

I have my e-drumin and Midi-expression loaned out for testing positional sensing on some custom pads and a custom pedal..
I use the iOS app for programming.
If you are not using USB...What are you using to power it ?
I knew someone having problems because of the wrong power supply when running as a stand alone.
If you have the proper power..good cable and sending MIDI then I would check input selection..I don't know which pads etc you are using , if Yamaha you need to select proper wiring etc and check MIDI OX,see if it is sending Midi Note ..not CC info.positional sensing etc...as the Multipad can't translate it.

EDIT:
I am also unsure if the USB and MIDI ports can send MIDI simultaneously...probably check with Rob in the forum.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:52:52 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 08:56:58 AM »
Resolved.

Followed up with eDRUMin - they confirmed power was OK. 
I ended up doing a full reset on the eDRUMin unit, and trying from scratch.
Voila.  The SMP started responding to MIDI on the DIN port.

So thanks all around, to you and Rob!

I did notice that on the SMP, even though the eDRUMin was sending the same MIDI note assigned to a pad, it would *not* trigger -- but only on some pads.
Couldn't figure that one out.  But it was getting late so wil try again tonight.

Thanks very much for the assist.

P.S.  Any tips/notes on the SMP MIDI implementation will be gratefully received. 
My hope is that the eDRUMin will enable a better hi-hat experience for me with the SMP, but so far that looks like uphill sledding.