Author Topic: Cymbals when split from Toms  (Read 1341 times)

Cymbals when split from Toms
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »
I have the Alesis Strike Pro SE kit. I want to add three additional cymbals and split them off three toms. Doing this I know I lose the tom rim sound and only get a single zone cymbal sound - I'm totally good with this. Given this, it seems to make no sense to pay $350 for the 14" Strike Cymbal Pad and instead get the $40 Alesis single zone 10" pad.

Does this thinking make sense?

Offline Chaser

Re: Cymbals when split from Toms
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 09:52:00 PM »
I have the Alesis Strike Pro SE kit. I want to add three additional cymbals and split them off three toms. Doing this I know I lose the tom rim sound and only get a single zone cymbal sound - I'm totally good with this. Given this, it seems to make no sense to pay $350 for the 14" Strike Cymbal Pad and instead get the $40 Alesis single zone 10" pad.

Does this thinking make sense?

They will work fine...good little cymbal and 10" will fit into tight spaces on the rack..

There are 2 of these cymbals...one with choke and one without...
The one with choke can also be used as a dual zone bow/edge (with a TRS cable) later on if you ever need one.The trigger zone for the edge is small...you have to hit on the raised dots (choke)
The image shown on the Sweetwater site shows "with choke"...but I don't see that mentioned in the description so you may want to double check.

Alesis Cymbal Pad – 10-inch Features:
10-inch, single-zone cymbal pad

The part # for single zone with choke is 102150143...without choke 102150143-A
It can get a little confusing on the part numbers as quite a few of the kits used the same cymbal...just numbered differently..On Instrumental Parts you can see the different PT #...and how the prices change for the exact same cymbal

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
Hi this is great info, thanks so much. I was also looking at the Pintech cymbals and might go that route instead with a couple 14" and a 10".

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 10:36:04 AM »
Hi this is great info, thanks so much. I was also looking at the Pintech cymbals and might go that route instead with a couple 14" and a 10".

Simple single zone cymbals normally have just a Piezo...no choke or edge (switch)
The Pintech will also work..keep in mind the PC/TC series are just a step up from a DIY cymbal..
They are a little flimsy and basically a piece of plastic with a Piezo/trigger box mounted underneath the front.
The Visualites are Acrylic with a trigger box
I see they are now offering the low volume cymbals (metal with a trigger box) which have become popular over the past couple years.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 05:11:17 PM »
I just purchased the Strike Pro SE kit. It's awesome! I am trying to split my 8" Tom to a cymbal but all I get is the Tom sound on the cymbal. I have played with the adjustments but nothing works. I know I am doing something wrong as the videos on u-tube make it seem so easy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mel

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 06:40:40 PM »
I just purchased the Strike Pro SE kit. It's awesome! I am trying to split my 8" Tom to a cymbal but all I get is the Tom sound on the cymbal. I have played with the adjustments but nothing works. I know I am doing something wrong as the videos on u-tube make it seem so easy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mel

Welcome to the Forum !

Tom size makes no difference,you can have any size Tom on any input..you are splitting the Tom input.

I don't know what you are using for a Splitter...It should be TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) to (2)TS (Tip/Sleeve)...Not TRS to (2) TRS.
Usually they are labeled/marked or Colored so you know which is the Tip and which is the Ring

Typically you have the Tip (Head) for the Tom..and Ring (Bow) for the Cymbal..No Choke..No Edge..(Tom inputs do not support Choke).
Then reassign the Tom Rim to a Cymbal Instrument/Sound.
If you are using Vst/Software you'll also have to re-assign the Rim MIDI Note to the desired instrument.

NOTE:
When splitting Triggers you are splitting one zone...you cannot hit 2 triggers simultaneously on one zone as one will cancel the other out.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 09:21:36 PM »
Thank you very much Chaser. I know now that I have the wrong splitter thanks to your info. I have some correct one ordered. I knew I was doing something wrong. I have only been a member a few days and it's  already helping me. Thank you

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 09:09:25 AM »
Mel, you might also look into the Lemon eCymbals.  They work / trigger well with the Strike Module. They are well made and pretty reasonably priced.  They are sort of a tweener a good balance between quality construction and price (vs the higher end eCymbals).

Also, thanks to Chaser for clarifying the splitter question.  I recently added a Strike module to my Roland kit and love it.  Roland?s need a splitter with a resister (which I have) and it doesn?t work well in trying to split  / add additional cymbals with the Strike module.  I bought the splitter below through Amazon and it lists working with Alesis (as well as Roland). 

Silverline Y Cable Drum Splitters Compatible with Alesis V-Drums - Stereo TRS Male to 2X Mono TS Females? Don?t buy this one for the Strike module.