Author Topic: Pads from DM8 vs these new Nitro things  (Read 1408 times)

Pads from DM8 vs these new Nitro things
« on: December 10, 2020, 02:53:15 PM »
I have an old DM8 kit, bought new when they came out.  Converted it to Mesh heads 682.   I have now bought a Pearl RBM20 brain, which is supposed to be identical to the DM10 brain?
So now I am interested in either finding some more used DM8 trigger pads, or buying these new Nitro kits, just for the pads.

So my question is: are the trigger pads on these new Nitro mesh kits, the same or any better than the old DM8 pads?  For that matter is the a difference in the pads  on a Nitro, Surge, or Crimson??  I assume they are all using the same piezo, so the inner working are all the same?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Offline Chaser

Re: Pads from DM8 vs these new Nitro things
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:21:54 PM »
I have an old DM8 kit, bought new when they came out.  Converted it to Mesh heads 682.   I have now bought a Pearl RBM20 brain, which is supposed to be identical to the DM10 brain?
So now I am interested in either finding some more used DM8 trigger pads, or buying these new Nitro kits, just for the pads.

So my question is: are the trigger pads on these new Nitro mesh kits, the same or any better than the old DM8 pads?  For that matter is the a difference in the pads  on a Nitro, Surge, or Crimson??  I assume they are all using the same piezo, so the inner working are all the same?

Any help would be appreciated.

They all use piezo , just different configurations...were the DM8 drums single zone?
The DM8 is reflection plate and foam layers where as the Crimson are foam columns with an inner and outer piezo for the head (knob for adjustment) and a piezo for the rim.

"The Alesis mesh drum heads include an added physical knob to adjust the sensitivity of the piezo pickups inside of the head. The knob adjust how much the module will respond to the inner vs. outer pickups inside of the head.  Additionally, you can also adjust the Trigger sensitivity and many other settings within the Crimson kit module as well."

I haven't had a Nitro mesh or Surge so I don't know the construction other than the Nitro are listed as single zone and the Surge are dual zone but no mention of the sensitivity knob  as the Crimson , but since the Nitro and Surge use the same module (Medeli DD512) it may be just a firmware limitation.

The R.E.D. Box is/was the DM10 2.0...instead of the DM10 getting the firmware upgrade , Alesis licensed to Pearl
The R.E.D Box has the ability to download different sound sets but the Soundshop has been down for quite awhile at least a year and shows "Coming Soon" so I don't know if it will ever be back up and running or when.I have some of the sound sets when I had a module for a bit years ago but the sound sets are tied to the serial number of that module.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:43:46 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 11:22:07 AM »
Awesome info thanks.  I was able to upgrade the Redbox to v2, so that is cool. 
The DM8 has dual zone snare pad (12in).  And the ride cym is 3 zone.   Everything else is single zone. 
The sensitivity knob sounds like a nice option.    I will have to investigate to see if that is on Surge or Nitro.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 01:20:06 PM »
Awesome info thanks.  I was able to upgrade the Redbox to v2, so that is cool. 
The DM8 has dual zone snare pad (12in).  And the ride cym is 3 zone.   Everything else is single zone. 
The sensitivity knob sounds like a nice option.    I will have to investigate to see if that is on Surge or Nitro.

Glad to hear it..I archived a lot Pearl Red Box..
I still have the manual (attached)..I had to zip it
Did you install the Vibetastic 2.0 kits?
"Twenty-five new custom expansion kits that cover a lot of ground with full ambient kits, electronica soundscapes, and bone-dry sound palettes. The last two kits are programmed with the kick and snare using the Aux out for discreet mixing."

EDIT:
I added the AUX discreet out .syx and Vibetastic V2 syx..
I can't remember if you need to add the AUX out first.

New SysEx download 3.30.11

Kick and Snare on Aux channels for advanced mixing.
This update assigns the Kick on Aux#1 and the Snare on Aux#2. The remainder of the kit will come out of the Main Left and Right outputs.
Only the first 15 kits will be changed and remember the effects are turned off to get maximum separation.
The headphone output will only monitor the Left and Right outputs and the Kick and Snare will not be present.
This is a SysEx file and if you reinitialize the module the changes will return to the factory setup
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:26:55 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »
Chaser,
You wouldn't happen to have any other files for the redbox? I can't seem to find anything - even the free kits. Pearl has been less than helpful

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 09:48:41 PM »
The only kit I remember that was FREE was the World Series Kit.
All the kits were usually downloaded through your account and you had to have a registered RedBox..even to download the FREE kit as after you checked out you would be emailed the link after a file could be generated with the modules serial number in it to unlock , otherwise you would get something about "missing unlock file"..or something similar.I just checked to see if my Soundshop account was active and got "Invalid".I checked the Pearl Forum and the SoundShop has Officially been discontinued..
I also seen your post there..

" I am sorry. but the Redbox sound-shop has been discontinued.The only thing we offer is the manual or the v2.00 update."
"the kits are no longer available.The license agreements with the 3rd party sound providers has expired."
 Thanks,

Bob Sabellico - Product Manager - Pearl Electronic Percussion Division

One thing to be aware of if you are new to the RedBox...the kits were not addon's.The module has a memory limitation.
They replaced the entire Factory Soundset so you would only have one Big Kit....then if you wanted to go back to having a variety of kits you had to make sure you have a copy of the Factory Soundset to reinstall it.

EDIT:
I attached the last of the small files I have..the Pearl Updater.. and mainly files for 2.0  which aren't going to help unless you have the actual 2.0 kits installed...the files may help someone in the future.
I believe after v2.0 you had to use a MIDI program like CS6 or MIDIOX to add the syx files..I could be wrong...it's been a long time..You'll have to do some research in the Pearl Forum

Pearl Updater v1.0
v2.0 Firmware
Hi Hat update 2 (Pro-X)
Chili..Vibetastic 2.0

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:30:05 PM by Chaser »