Author Topic: IK Multimedia MODO DRUM  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Chaser

IK Multimedia MODO DRUM
« on: June 25, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »

MODO DRUM
    Breakthrough physical modeling drum synthesis
    Incredible real-time control & amazing realism
    Loads faster and takes up less hard drive space
    Cutting-edge cymbal sample engine
    Adjust both diameter and height of every drum
    Change shell profile on the fly
    Tune control to fit perfectly in the mix
    Damp control to sculpt the feel of a groove
    Change snare size and tension
    Change kick beater type
    Change kick technique (heel up / heel down)
    Control sympathetic snare and tom resonance
    Selectable hitting position
    Swap stick and head types
    Infinite velocity layers for more human feel
    Infinite round-robins for unmatched realism
    10 fully customizable drum kits
    1400+ MIDI patterns
    8 unique convolution-based room reverbs
    Massive suite of 19 studio processors and effects
    Resizable GUI for perfect workflow on any display
    Smart Filters to find the right groove for your tracks
    Drag and drop grooves into your DAW for easy workflow
    Full mixer with effects derived from T-RackS & AmpliTube

IK Multimedia MODO DRUM

VIDEOS

Online Hellfire

Re: IK Multimedia MODO DRUM
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 11:20:05 PM »
Now this "could" be the next big thing. I've been interested in physical modeling synthesis for a while now and I've always thought it was the way to go for a drum module. It looks as if they still use some samples but for the most part looks to be physical modeling synthesis. Samples are going to be a thing of the past once this type of software really hits its groove. I will be watching to see where this goes.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:19:51 AM »
I have the MODO BASS and it is excellent..
I have inquired about iOS , but haven't gotten a response yet...

Information I have gathered so far...

Will a demo be available ?
Stay tuned for more info on this one, as the product gets closer to launch we should know more.

Does it have configurable midi ?
Yes, MIDI controls will be available in MODO DRUM. Stay tuned for more specific info.

Does is support multiple articulations on drums and cymbals ?
Yes, multiple articulations will be available. Below is an example for you. These are the offered HiHatts.

Tight Tip
    Close Tip
    Half Open Tip
    Open Tip
    Close Shank
    Half Open Shank
    Open Shank
    Foot Open
    Foot Close

Will It handle a real high hat controller ?
Yes. This feature will be available on a specific key and a select-able CC will regulate the aperture.

Can you control the amount of processing on the drums ? (from dry to processed)
Each effect will have their own parameters. Stay tuned for more specific info.

I will keep adding information as I get it.
Since release is August more information should be coming in the next 30 days

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »

Information I have gathered so far...

Will a demo be available ?
Stay tuned for more info on this one, as the product gets closer to launch we should know more.

Does it have configurable midi ?
Yes, MIDI controls will be available in MODO DRUM. Stay tuned for more specific info.

Does is support multiple articulations on drums and cymbals ?
Yes, multiple articulations will be available. Below is an example for you. These are the offered HiHatts.

Tight Tip
    Close Tip
    Half Open Tip
    Open Tip
    Close Shank
    Half Open Shank
    Open Shank
    Foot Open
    Foot Close

Will It handle a real high hat controller ?
Yes. This feature will be available on a specific key and a select-able CC will regulate the aperture.

Can you control the amount of processing on the drums ? (from dry to processed)
Each effect will have their own parameters. Stay tuned for more specific info.

I will keep adding information as I get it.
Since release is August more information should be coming in the next 30 days

Good info!

However, most just can't see past the sample based tech. Right now most drummers think samples are the only game in town (mainly because they don't understand any other way to make a drum sound) and I've got a feeling that it's going to be a hard sell for the intrenched sample believers (i.e. the Pearl Mimic/SSD/VSTdrums crowd). They will not get it. They'll think it's no different than Roland COSM tech (similar, yes, but much deeper to my eyes and ears).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:23:04 PM by Hellfire »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »

I was just thinking, is this software related to the U-he Research Group stuff from 2016?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usD7mWWWmoE

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 12:03:02 PM »

I was just thinking, is this software related to the U-he Research Group stuff from 2016?

That I am unaware of...just what was in the press release.
"Unlike traditional sample-based virtual instruments, MODO DRUM utilizes IK's award-winning modal synthesis technology and an ultra-optimized sound engine to bring drums to life. The result of 11 years of research and development with one of the oldest universities in Europe"
It will be interesting to hear the final product.
I thought the sounds in the video sounded a little more synthesized than I would expect.I do like the GUI and the fact it is resizable.
Physical modeling usually has a smaller memory footprint and I thought MODO BASS was high at 4GB(8GB recommended).MODO DRUM is 8GB (16GB recommended) Hopefully there will be a FREE demo...Try before you Buy..I stopped pre-ordering with IK Multimedia especially at NAMM as they got into a bad habit of delivering just days before Dealer/retail.The last time I purchased a number of the the iRig StompIO at NAMM...received end of May.I don't like being a bank.

The rep participates more with Q&A at GearSlutz than in the IK Multimedia Forum.

GEARSLUTZ

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 03:27:54 PM »

That I am unaware of...just what was in the press release.
"Unlike traditional sample-based virtual instruments, MODO DRUM utilizes IK's award-winning modal synthesis technology and an ultra-optimized sound engine to bring drums to life. The result of 11 years of research and development with one of the oldest universities in Europe"
It will be interesting to hear the final product.
I thought the sounds in the video sounded a little more synthesized than I would expect.I do like the GUI and the fact it is resizable.
Physical modeling usually has a smaller memory footprint and I thought MODO BASS was high at 4GB(8GB recommended).MODO DRUM is 8GB (16GB recommended) Hopefully there will be a FREE demo...Try before you Buy..I stopped pre-ordering with IK Multimedia especially at NAMM as they got into a bad habit of delivering just days before Dealer/retail.The last time I purchased a number of the the iRig StompIO at NAMM...received end of May.I don't like being a bank.

The rep participates more with Q&A at GearSlutz than in the IK Multimedia Forum.

GEARSLUTZ

Good to know. On a side note the driest audio sample they have up is the "Modern Funk solo":

https://download.ikmultimedia.com/html/mododrum/audiodemo/mododrum/Modern_Funk_solo.mp3

I'm pointing this out because many seem to want dryer audio samples. I assume to compare to other VSTs. I personally think the sample above sound good, but everyone is a little different with what sounds totally real to them.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »
I think the samples sound very good.
It's probably just me but the initial strike/hit on the toms/snare/kick doesn't seem to vary with the sound/sample like a click before the sound/sample starts.The Extreme Metal Solo sounds almost too uniform/mechanical..
It could be because all the audio samples were done with a keyboard and the tip settings for the sticks..

All in All I am looking forward to the release.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 11:34:23 PM »
honestly, It does sound 10 years back, these sound where available way before in early 2000 on early vst, I saw many not impressed on these demo from regular vst user, very compressed and lack of details, there is no room real from the drums, it's digital, room are the most important in recording, It does not sound near toontrack, addictive, ssd etc. library, that is because of the synthetics modeling, you cannot cheat on sound it's art, pure audio recording engineers and require complexes recording and technique.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:54:10 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »
honestly, It does sound 10 years back, these sound where available way before in early 2000 on early vst, I saw many not impressed on these demo from regular vst user, very compressed and lack of details, there is no room real from the drums, it's digital, room are the most important in recording, It does not sound near toontrack, addictive, ssd etc. library, that is because of the synthetics modeling, you cannot cheat on sound it's art, pure audio recording engineers and require complexes recording and technique.

Physical modeling isn't easy and isn't cheating. It's a lot harder than you think and its a very CPU heavy process. This software sounds better than any Roland module that used COSOM. Saying it sounds 10 years ago is a stretch at best.

I'm not sure if you truly understand what physical modeling is, but (when done correctly) is a much more organic play experience than just some simple sample play back audio player, which is what most drum modules are these days. True physical modeling changes based on every play aspect in real time. Just like an acoustic drum set as is not a set number of samples that is just spits back out. That's why MODO states in their specs:

- Infinite velocity layers
- Infinite round-robins

This is only possible with physical modeling. Not even the Pearl mimic can do that.

I do think MODO needs to work on their drum model algorithms a little more, but physical modeling is only going to get better over time and will become the standard for edrums in the near future. Again, because it is the only way (unless some new tech springs ups) to have a truly organic play experience to match acoustic drums.   

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »
Physical Modeling Overview/Control video just released
MODO DRUM-Physical Modeling Overview

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 02:21:23 PM »

Physical modeling isn't easy and isn't cheating. It's a lot harder than you think and its a very CPU heavy process. This software sounds better than any Roland module that used COSOM. Saying it sounds 10 years ago is a stretch at best.

I'm not sure if you truly understand what physical modeling is, but (when done correctly) is a much more organic play experience than just some simple sample play back audio player, which is what most drum modules are these days. True physical modeling changes based on every play aspect in real time. Just like an acoustic drum set as is not a set number of samples that is just spits back out. That's why MODO states in their specs:

- Infinite round-robins

This is only possible with physical modeling. Not even the Pearl mimic can do that.

I do think MODO needs to work on their drum model algorithms a little more, but physical modeling is only going to get better over time and will become the standard for edrums in the near future. Again, because it is the only way (unless some new tech springs ups) to have a truly organic play experience to match acoustic drums.

The mimic uses physical modeling as well.  That is why people who own a mimic feel its a very organic natural playing module.  First page of the manual.  When people say the mimic plays really smooth that is what they are talking about.  You never can count the round robins like the strike or 2box.   To quote the manual.

"With a powerful physical modeling engine Mimic Pro supports up to 4096 velocities, so even if an instrument has 28 velocities, it will still have 4096 levels of dynamics, or volume. This gives users thousands of sound nuances on each instrument, something never possible in electronic drums before Pearl’s Mimic Pro."

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 02:26:31 PM by Purpledc »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 05:07:49 PM »

- Infinite round-robins

The mimic uses physical modeling as well.  That is why people who own a mimic feel its a very organic natural playing module.  First page of the manual.  When people say the mimic plays really smooth that is what they are talking about.  You never can count the round robins like the strike or 2box.   To quote the manual.

"With a powerful physical modeling engine Mimic Pro supports up to 4096 velocities, so even if an instrument has 28 velocities, it will still have 4096 levels of dynamics, or volume. This gives users thousands of sound nuances on each instrument, something never possible in electronic drums before Pearl’s Mimic Pro."

1) I'm not slightly the Pearl mimic. There is no need to defend it's honor.
2) The term "physical modeling" can mean many different things. Full physical modeling is not the same as what is in most drum modules (which BTW, most use some form of "physical modeling", at least that's what they will call it.)
3) 4096 (actually 4095 because zero isn't really a velocity) is great. Most modules have 128 (again, actually 127). They all use some form of what they call physical modeling mainly because they don't have 127 samples (in Pearl mimics case 4095 samples) for each instrument. So what they call physical modeling is adjusting volume, decay, cross fade to make 28 different velocities samples to sound like 127 (or 4095 for Pearl mimic).

In any case I'm looking forward to seeing what MODO can do.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 06:26:27 PM »

- Infinite round-robins

1) I'm not slightly the Pearl mimic. There is no need to defend it's honor.
2) The term "physical modeling" can mean many different things. Full physical modeling is not the same as what is in most drum modules (which BTW, most use some form of "physical modeling", at least that's what they will call it.)
3) 4096 (actually 4095 because zero isn't really a velocity) is great. Most modules have 128 (again, actually 127). They all use some form of what they call physical modeling mainly because they don't have 127 samples (in Pearl mimics case 4095 samples) for each instrument. So what they call physical modeling is adjusting volume, decay, cross fade to make 28 different velocities samples to sound like 127 (or 4095 for Pearl mimic).

In any case I'm looking forward to seeing what MODO can do.

I wasn't defending the honor of the mimic.  I was offering information that you seem to acknowledge you were unaware of.  At least to the extent that the module is capable of.  And even if physical modeling means many different things and that all modules have it to some degree, in this instance what it does and to the degree that it does it fits with your previous description of what physical modeling lends to sound,  its realism and how much more organic the playing experience can feel.   Which you claimed the mimic cant do this.  So all the technical numbers and insignificance of the number 0 aside.   The fact is the module does do that, which was really the only point I was making.   Maybe not to the Infinite degree this company claims its software does.  But its more than any other module that I know of.  But lets say for arguments sake it is in fact infinity vs 4095. It is just as trivial as the insignificance of the value of zero simply because whether the number is 4000, 10,000 or 20,000 or infinite.  Once it surpasses the ability of the human ear to detect a pattern in either dynamics or repeated hits of the same velocity the ultimate goal has been attained and you can stop counting.     

Online ChrisK

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
Most vst use modeling, it's far more then only sample playback, but you need  authentic sound at base with layers and round robin, and not only relying on EQ DSP based and layer sound added at all the time which is obvious can make unwanted sound or things is not right. That why when people imports sound in a module, it does not play 100% the same, and without sufficient amount of layers and round robin, DSP will never replace native audio sound and retaining the real sound for authentic sound dynamic.

Roland have all physical modeling on playability already roll, swell, position sensing, buzz, but struggling on sound without sufficient of layers and round robin at base and multiple DSP modeling option + fx make the sound different then original recording.. Roland use 50% CPU stated from Micheal shack lately to get top notch hihat, and that why alesis strike hihat or low processor comparable module will never play nice under 2000$ modules with great low latency, if you want all editing and all feature and that play descent, you wont get that with cheap stuff.

If you want real drum playing, you need tip stick angle position detection on head-cymbal + on all surface area on triggers, on toms, snare, cymbal like a real drum, far beyond sensor that are dated. At the moment, Roland attempts to do roll, antis machine gun algo, buzz on toms\snare etc., it does not works great or excellent, you need all these base layers and round robin with high quality recording for descent dynamic and sound alternation on each hit. + all the power resource rest that run the module. You can do modeling, but you still need all high class audio sound recording, enough layers and round robin at base, 24 bit samples, you will never have good result under 2000$ module that play and sound descent with modeling, it will sound just ok to bad.

As far as mimic, there is no limit on layers and round robin how it's built, the limitation is the recording it self, there is swell, hihat that perform smooth as silk with high pressure sound on high pressure hihat, what are missing are position sensing on toms, cymbal, snare, that will add new level, but remain detection on tip stick angle on each hit on the surface position, that what make a pro drummer vs beginner or average,  that require new triggers tech that don't exist  and not sure it will ever, will require too much power to run these, far beyond Roland digital hype to prevent DIY triggering.

1 to 127 \ 128 is midi notes, 2box use 127 layers max sound that reach 127 midi note. The mimic "4095" is not sample", mimic don't have limit on layers and round robin, it's depend on the recording it self,  mimic do not use midi, 1-127 inside with triggering. All computer software, use MIDI notes and are locked to 127, limited from the midi drivers on computer.

Infinite layers and round robin that is BS, no human can play, listen and record these, and it's all DSP based, it won't sound\ play accurately sound depth, dynamic from realistic recording sound on velocity.  The hole story on modeling are from keyboard synthesizer, mix them with drums, it will just alternate the original sound like they do in a synth, if it's the attempts to recreate real drums it won't be the same as the authentic sound, record 8 different head, 4 tuning range, you can't do this with DSP, it will not sound as original recording side by side, that why people buy multiple VST with different studio, different mic, and different room recorded, it just works and it just sound real on album and organic as raw.

The modeling is very hard to operate, too much option that change the sound, you will find your self changing many things, but can add odd sound when another option is added, ish, ing, ting sound etc..  you will cycle back and forth like crazy, average users won't ever able to use it correctly, on module it show how much hard it is with Roland, what users want are sound great out of the box, many people don't understand threshold, modeling is far light years above it.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:42:17 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »

It would be really nice if MODO could incorporate the new MIDI 2.0 standard. Of course that isn't really nailed down yet (so I guess it isn't a "standard"), but I would be nice to see.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »

It would be really nice if MODO could incorporate the new MIDI 2.0 standard. Of course that isn't really nailed down yet (so I guess it isn't a "standard"), but I would be nice to see.
I have been keeping up with MIDI 2.0
IK Multimedia hasn't joined yet , but a number of hardware manufacturers including Yamaha and Medeli are on the Board's.
The Web MIDI program is moving along..Web-MIDI support is just beginning and there are a few API's already.
I have updated the MIDI 2.0 post with links to websites (apps) that use the Web-MIDI API so you can experiment with Web-MIDI.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:48:10 AM by Chaser »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 06:31:52 PM »
The Infinite Round Robin Feature...Element , Stick , Beater.
MODO DRUM - Play Style for Maximum Performance

Offline Andy Keys

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 08:12:18 AM »
I've been using physically modelled piano software for a few years (Pianoteq), so this looks really interesting to me.

Infinite velocity would be 'limited' by the 16-bit velocity capability of MIDI 2.0 (still a whopping 65,536 levels), but as was mentioned elsewhere on this thread, there comes a point where the differences would be indistinguishable to the ear, so is practically irrelevant. The key characteristic for the player is that each note feels natural, distinct, in line with how it was played, and not like the same sample being re-triggered at each hit (which makes software drums so obvious on albums once you know the static, machine-gunning sound that creates).

Noob question: what are "round robins"?
Regards
Andy
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:30:05 AM by Andy Keys »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
I've been using physically modelled piano software for a few years (Pianoteq), so this looks really interesting to me.

Infinite velocity would be 'limited' by the 16-bit velocity capability of MIDI 2.0 (still a whopping 65,536 levels), but as was mentioned elsewhere on this thread, there comes a point where the differences would be indistinguishable to the ear, so is practically irrelevant. The key characteristic for the player is that each note feels natural, distinct, in line with how it was played, and not like the same sample being re-triggered at each hit (which makes software drums so obvious on albums once you know the static, machine-gunning sound that creates).

Noob question: what are "round robins"?
Regards
Andy
Round-robin is simply a way to play back a different sampled version of the same sound each time you strike the trigger,so that..like most acoustic instruments each note sounds slightly different for more realism and to avoid the repetitive "machine gun" effect of rapidly repeating the same sample/sound.

Offline Andy Keys

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2019, 11:55:52 AM »
Ah, thanks Chaser.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
Release date August 2019..

MODO DRUM - Mixer & built-in effects
MODO DRUM - Create Custom Kits
MODO DRUM - Infinite Round Robin & E-drum/MIDI Control

Just received noticed that this is the final weekend for Pre-Orders/Crossgrades
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:52:16 PM by Chaser »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
I purchased and spent some time with the software..here is a very brief review.. 

Drums sound very good..fast kit loading,very good dynamics.A lot of customizing options.
MODO Drum dynamics
Cymbals..customizable..minimal variety,limited to single zone with choke except for the Ride dual/zone with choke. 

MIDI:
Non existent..you have one option and that is for MIDI Device.
NO MIDI editor.
FIXED GM MIDI Mapping..
NO Tom Rim (mapping is for left and right hand)
NO Cymbal Edge (only choke note)

NO custom key mapping.(You'll have to change the midi assignment in the module),only CC mapping for the HH pedal and snare+tom pad position sensing..."aperture continuous control"

Hopefully IK adds a drum map editor and/or presets for common drum modules, as the standalone won't work right without it.
Also note the modeling engine requires Minimal: Intel® Core™ i5 with support for AVX.
I have installed on multiple high end tablets/MS Surface (running SD3 , EZD etc embedded and have no issues) with i5, 8-16GB ram..AVX,AVX2 support.MODO DRUM does not run well.They all ran at less than 20% CPU and RAM..but MODO stuttered/throttled and issues with scaling as UI stayed at minimal and I couldn't get to maximize(full screen)I believe they need to change the requirements to note that there is a difference between the Laptop/tablet i5 (Dual Core - 2 cores,4 threads) and the desktop i5 (Quad core-4 cores,8 threads)

If you are are going to make any purchases from IK do it prior to MODO Drum and you will get it at Pre-order crossgrade pricing.
For example I registered an extra piece of hardware I purchased a year or so ago (iRig StompIO) and cross grade was knocked down to 199.95 and with jam points an additional 30% off of that.
The MODO Drum Promotion now (Pre-order 299.95) ends Sept 1st at which time the price will go to $399.95.
If you are looking to use this software for more advanced Drum Modules with multiple zone cymbals I can't recommend it at it's current price/features it's more for the DAW/keyboard.
MODO DRUM has a lot of potential..but it's not entirely ready for drum module use without the necessary MIDI support.

EDIT:
I have provided a link to download the Manual which IK makes manuals only available to purchasers which has never made any sense to me as most serious purchases are decided upon the features/abilities of the hardware/software..in writing...not the hype/videos.

Watch the MODO DRUM FORUM to stay updated.

MODO DRUM MANUAL

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:28:42 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
As of right now, MODO drum does not have great MIDI capabilities, meaning the MIDI map is not editable, which means that if you connect an electronic set (the best way to use any VSTI) some instruments will not line up with what you need, the program currently is more setup for keyboard drummers, IK Multimedia stated that they are going to be addressing that in a future update, but at the moment that is not good for E-drummers, otherwise it looks like a fantastic program, I just don't think it's worth almost $400 for only 10 kits, as customizable as they may be...
My 2 cents...

Offline Chaser

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
MODO DRUM - Ver. 1.1.0

Changes from version 1.0

Implemented Custom MIDI Mapping section
    Compatible with macOS Catalina
    Implemented Equalizer and Mixer Presets
    Added Perspective selector in the Mixer section
    Implemented Bus Renaming
    Enabled Drag & Drop grooves in Cubase
    Fixed potential Audio Unit crash when inserting MODO Drum with multi output
    Fixed potential VST3 crash in Bandlab/Cakewalk
    Fixed Drag & Drop ejecting MODO Drum in Studio One
    Fixed an issue in FL Studio where MIDI Notes in Piano Roll did not always trigger
    Fixed an issue where the trigger sync was not synced to DAW
    General optimizations and bug fixes