Author Topic: Best VST for Metal Drums?  (Read 4434 times)

Best VST for Metal Drums?
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:07:52 PM »
Sorry if this has been talked about on here before.

I have Alesis dm10x and the tom sounds are horrible. and btw so quiet? I'm looking for toms with some balls to it.

I'm looking at XLN addictive drummer 2 Metal Edition but even what I hear in the demo is not heavy enough. I'm hoping though once I have

the full program I'm able to tweak and tune them to make them super heavy. But before I buy just wanted to see if anyone here has any

suggestions?  I see there is Toontrack Metal machine and many others. Thanks!

Offline rhysT

Re: Best VST for Metal Drums?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:57:46 AM »
I have Alesis dm10x and the tom sounds are horrible. and btw so quiet? I'm looking for toms with some balls to it.

suggestions?

Hey Dallas, some of the DM10 Compress effects provide better bass response and try setting your Toms to trigger curve Spline 2 or 3. You can also get more depth (or balls) with the Tom and Kick sounds by connecting the Midi In & Out sockets together. Btw, this adds slight latency on the snare sounds which can be corrected easily, so let me know if you want more info about improving them. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:40:09 PM by rhysT »

Offline korakios

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »
+1 for the compress effect rhysT suggested.
You may need to adjust the trigger gain . Check the trigger levels when you strike the toms. On hard hits they should max. If not they sound anemic regardless of the volume gain.

Online AlanK

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:28:38 AM »
Hey Dallas, I'm using Addictive Drums and don't use the Metal kits but do have about 12 other adpaks.

I find them quite fine loudness-wise, the snare, kick, toms have a ton of punch. I do tend to turn up the kick and hi-hat settings for each kit I use as they feel low by default.

I wonder if your sensitivity settings on the module are too low. I would imagine if you get the punch/volume you are looking for through the module on its own, then AD ought to give you that powerful attack as well.

Keep us posted
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:05 AM »
The best VST for Metal is either Metal Machinery (TT), meaning the full SDX (not the EZ), with the customized bubinga-kit or Steven Slate Deluxe Metal (kit 6). Never been a fan of AD:s Metal AdPak, even though I have it. BFD:s "Oblivion" is also nice, but does not top the first two mentioned.