Author Topic: New Simmons SD9KR Kit! (update)  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Hellfire

New Simmons SD9KR Kit! (update)
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:55:18 AM »
Hellfire drums was the first to report about the new Simmons SD9KR some time ago.
See Red Simmons SD9KR! (New kit option!)

At the time, Hellfire drums was not 100% sure if it was coming out or not. We now know that it will be coming out. The ad placement in the October issue of Modern Drummer shows that Guitar Center thought they would have the new kit in by August. Right now, it is not available from the Guitar Center's website, but I will most likely be available around October.

Side Note: Hellfire drums reported on the Simmons SD9K back in August 2008. See: New Simmons SD9K Drum Set!!!

To see image attached to this post, you must be logged in.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:58:45 AM by Hellfire »

Offline goony

Re: New Simmons SD9KR Kit! (update)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 04:30:35 AM »
I used to love the original Simmons sounds, but have read about these new kits, and seems they not quite reliable enough etc..
Any views?
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:22:10 AM »
I used to love the original Simmons sounds, but have read about these new kits, and seems they not quite reliable enough etc..
Any views?
The new Simmons is a different company than the one you most likely remember. My understanding is the new Simmons is owned by Guitar Center {I need to be careful here because many fans of the original Simmons products question rightly or wrongly how Guitar Center got the name Simmons. I don't want this topic turning into that discussion. Lets leave that to another post.}.

A lot of the complaints about the new Simmons edrums are based around their starter sets the SD5K and the original SD7K. Those kits are really meant for a beginner drummer. They are not designed to hold up in a gigging situation. Guitar Center is trying to build the brand. In doing so they now have more money from the initial sales to start building better quality edrums. The SD9K and SD9KR is that better quality built kit. The SD9 series is built differently than the SD5&7K sets. They have had such good feedback from the SD9K that Simmons (Guitar Center) actually went back and updated the SD7K (now called the SD7PK) to have the same quality and parts as the SD9K and KR kits. The only differences between the SD7PK and SD9K is the SD7PK has less triggers and uses a different (lesser features) module.

I would say, if you get a chance to try the SD9K kit at a store, do it. It is not on par with a Yamaha DTXtreme III or a Roland TD-20 but, it is definitely on par with the Yamaha and Roland brands in the same price range.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:49:46 PM by Hellfire »

Offline goony

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »
thanks for info, dont seem to be many (if any) dealers here in the UK. I am in the market for a kit, I just been to the Roland V Drum expo here in UK, with Steve White (paul weller etc), Johhny Rabb and Craig Blundell demonstrating the Roland V drums, very nice gear..Am currently looking at either the Alesis DM10 when launched here in Uk, as I want to hear it myself in the flesh, or Roland TD9. I would consider the Simmons, but dealership thin on ground over here.
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275