Author Topic: I really wish I had not done this!  (Read 5486 times)

I really wish I had not done this!
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »
Being the sort of person who always want to experiment, I downloaded the trial version of BFD2. Installed it, MIDI out from DM10 to PC and it all worked perfectly.

Why the regrets? How GOOD are the BFD2 sounds (just the Lud demo kit even). The whole options for mixing the direct suound with an overhead mix, a room mix and an ambient mix give the sound such depth AND realism.

The long awaited sound packs for the DM10 better be good, or I'll be looking at using BFD as the primary source of sound.

Like I said.....I wish I had not even tried this.  :-[

Offline Hellfire

Re: I really wish I had not done this!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »
Being the sort of person who always want to experiment, I downloaded the trial version of BFD2. Installed it, MIDI out from DM10 to PC and it all worked perfectly.

Why the regrets? How GOOD are the BFD2 sounds (just the Lud demo kit even). The whole options for mixing the direct suound with an overhead mix, a room mix and an ambient mix give the sound such depth AND realism.

The long awaited sound packs for the DM10 better be good, or I'll be looking at using BFD as the primary source of sound.

Like I said.....I wish I had not even tried this.  :-[
Admittedly, I think the ball is being dropped bad on this whole downloadable sound set thing. At least that is the way it appears. I wonder how long it will be before we see downloadable sound sets for the Pearl RED Box? Either way, I hope we see those sound sets soon. I know I'm looking forward to them.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »
I'm sure that even with the long awaited soundsets we won't get the ability to mix ambient, room etc etc. I should have really looked into e-drumming a bit more before I jumped. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with the kit. I just now wonder if I would have been better off waiting for the DM10 kit without the DM10 module and getting a trigger IO module & BFD2?

Only thing I noticed was a very slight latency issue, which I know could be resolved with a better interface between the kit and the PC. It was only noticable when I put my 'earbud' headphones in (from DM10 head) and then put my full headphones on over the top (from the pc) and listened to the differences.

But hey, it's like everything else in this world; there is always something or someone better that what you currently have or are! (I tend to get a bit profound after half a bottle of wine!!) It's either a question of money or practice.

[Edit] I've been thinking about this a bit more (after another glass of wine). I'm a programmer (beginner with MIDI though!) and I think I know how we could achieve the best of BFD2 into the DM10 module into  the DM10 module. Like I've mentioned before, I don't want the credit for ideas, I just want to see them come to fruition.

Basically, with collaboration between FXpansion & Alesis (Dan, I hope you read this :-) ), a version of BFD2 could be produced that allows you to set up a kit sound as you would like, then it could be exported / compiled into the format for uploading to the DM10. I realise there is limited memory on the DM10 module compared to the Gigs of data in BFD2, but surely the utility that compiles the soundset could also reference the 'out of the box' sounds you get as standard and the user could choose which to overwrite with the BFD2 kit you have set up?

It sounds simple, but technically possible. I'd buy it! (a beta version would be nice for coming up with the idea!) 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 03:13:28 PM by MoonlightBob »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
I'm sure that even with the long awaited soundsets we won't get the ability to mix ambient, room etc etc. I should have really looked into e-drumming a bit more before I jumped. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with the kit. I just now wonder if I would have been better off waiting for the DM10 kit without the DM10 module and getting a trigger IO module & BFD2?
Even if you use the DM10 as just a TMI (Trigger Midi Interface) it was still a good deal. You get a lot more control over your trigger settings than you do with the Alesis Trigger I/O and more inputs to boot. I have a feeling that you would not be happy with the Trigger I/O as your main TMI and you would have most likely upgraded to the DM10 anyway. Being that it is the cheapest TMI (if using it that way) out there next to the Trigger I/O.

BTW, You could always add the Trigger I/O to your set-up to add even more triggers if you wish. ;)

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »
personally i think in 6 to 8 months there is gonna be a pethra of downloadable material for both tmi's and vst/midi programs ive used bfd for a while and toontracks just got the ssd ex and im very pleased with the content and the ability to add all tracks into my daw in one click of a button the sounds are studio quality and theres tons of adjustments you can tailor your sound to anything that would be a nice thing to be able to do in the dm10  since i dont use it live as of now im happen with the vst but at some point i might want that option and it would be great to have them resourses available to the masses the age of edrum is upon us and i see great things coming this year and in the future
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:25:16 PM »
Alesis wouldn't have invested so heavily in R&D to develop a brain, if the trend was just to use PC's.  If that was the case, then, I assume they would have just created a new improved Trigger I/O instead.   The pending sounds will be out...  6-8 months is probably not a bad time frame.   Further, as more DM10 modules are sold, creators of sounds will note the increase market size and may be even more proactive/motivated to get their product into our DM10's. 

IMO.

Alesis

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
Admittedly, I think the ball is being dropped bad on this whole downloadable sound set thing.

I anticipate releasing the first aftermarket DM10 sound set within the next two week. Stay tuned.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 07:13:06 PM »
Admittedly, I think the ball is being dropped bad on this whole downloadable sound set thing.

I anticipate releasing the first aftermarket DM10 sound set within the next two week. Stay tuned.
That sounds like good news to me. Thanks for the heads up. Will it be available from the Alesis website or from the third party web site?

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
Anyone care to make a guess on price?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »

sure.   

$1,000,000.75   :o

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
If they are purely downloadable like the REDboxSoundShop.com, I would hope not more than $19.95. Any more than that and people will just buy a VST system.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 03:37:34 PM »
BTW, You could always add the Trigger I/O to your set-up to add even more triggers if you wish. ;)

Not enough arms!
  ;D

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 05:15:09 PM »

Is this going to be available in the UK also? Can't wait to have a mess with it.

BTW: Got my new brain today and it works perfectly!

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »

Any news anywhere on this?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »

Any news anywhere on this?
I too am eagerly awaiting news on this front as well.