Author Topic: New Roland kits\Module ?  (Read 9137 times)

Offline rhysT

Re: New Roland kits\Module ?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2016, 09:10:43 AM »
The new Roland KD-A22 Kick Drum Converter doesn't interest me...

FYI, it would be cheaper to get the Pearl ePro live bass drum trigger.

The Pearl Tru-Trac bass trigger pad also adapts to various bass drum sizes, as shown in this video from 1:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmDAp3R8MHc

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2016, 01:48:10 PM »
The new Roland KD-A22 Kick Drum Converter doesn't interest me...

FYI, it would be cheaper to get the Pearl ePro live bass drum trigger.

The Pearl Tru-Trac bass trigger pad also adapts to various bass drum sizes, as shown in this video from 1:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmDAp3R8MHc

If I would use a 20" bass drum or 18", I would only buy a regular L acoustic trigger with a mesh head for the bass drum or make the triggers myself, same things, no need all these things of Roland or pearl, and there is many cheap bass drum shell at 40$
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:24:06 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2016, 02:46:45 AM »
New information from Simon Ayton,
"The kits showed in video are pre-production prototype operating system. The new humanizing trigger engine is now enabled and fantastic and will be what ships as standard with the production kit...there will be new demo showing this shortly

Offline rhysT

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
The new humanizing trigger engine is now enabled and fantastic and will be what ships as standard with the production kit...

So does this mean 'round-robin' might be displaced?   :o

....... or maybe after the election 'machine-gunning' could be banned or fired!   ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:29:03 AM by rhysT »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
The new humanizing trigger engine is now enabled and fantastic and will be what ships as standard with the production kit...

So does this mean 'round-robin' might be displaced?   :o

....... or maybe after the election 'machine-gunning' could be banned or fired!   ;)

humanizing trigger engine might change the velocity strike alone, some VST have this function, each hit alternate the notes velocity, but with Vdrum, since there is many things involved, it might change feature inside the module all together with the velocity strike, tone, attack, tune etc.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:14:02 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »
Roland TD-50 2 kits, Jazz Kit and Bubinga.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 02:09:55 AM »
Here's a low cost version of the TD-50 to stick on the front of your current module (and it's printer friendly)  8)

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 12:31:02 PM »
you should had to change Jarrah Ply to RhysT Ply 8)

Offline rhysT

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2016, 06:17:50 PM »
you should had to change Jarrah Ply .......

I'd rather not trigger too much negative reaction!  ;)

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2016, 10:49:58 PM »
you should had to change Jarrah Ply .......

I'd rather not trigger too much negative reaction!  ;)

8),  let's see Winter Namm what will bring from others, Yamaha, maybe 2box (drumit6), but I suspect these price will be near 2000$
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:52:27 PM by ChrisK »

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
Sorry to get off the subject here, but there is so much hype around Roland and the Alesis Strike pro.  Yet there is little to nothing being said about the Yamaha DTX920.  Its already on the market, but not much hype around it.  If anyone has a take on it.  Id love to hear.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2016, 03:37:08 PM »
Yet there is little to nothing being said about the Yamaha DTX920

Because its been dated to around 9 years old, there is plenty video at youtube, I would not touch these module, they will certainly came with new module in a near future.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
Yet there is little to nothing being said about the Yamaha DTX920

Because its been dated to around 9 years old, there is plenty video at youtube, I would not touch these module, they will certainly came with new module in a near future.

The DTX920 (which is just a DTX900 module) is nothing more than a software upgrade to the Yamaha DTXtreemIII module. As a matter of fact, if you have a DTXtreemIII module I believe Yamaha will give you the software patch to make it a DTX900/920. 

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2016, 01:39:09 AM »
TD50 stock has landed at Roland HQ.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »
Roland's website now lists all the manuals etc for the TD-50

TD-50
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/td-50/owners_manuals/

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »
Unfortunately while TD-50 module is improvement over TD-30, but the sound are not up to vst standard (at exception of the cymbal), Pearl MIMIC would be hard to beat, it just sound natural  with all these necessary edit came with and expansion pack. Most of the TD-50 instrument editing are not necessary if you got the sound recorded accurately and with many layers\round robin which is not the case of Roland is still going the reverse way.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »
Unfortunately while TD-50 module is improvement over TD-30, but the sound are not up to vst standard (at exception of the cymbal)

And that's because the TD-50 is just an incremental improvement over the TD-30. I'm sorry, but Roland's top of the line Vdrums product was only "revolutionary" when they released the TD-10 back in 1998. Since then it has only been incremental improvements (Which is good). You can see it when you compare the TD-10 thru the TD-50 side by side. (TD-10, TD-20, TD-20x, TD-30, TD-50)

I only point this out, because many seem to think that every Roland release is somehow a major game changer.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:53:59 AM by Hellfire »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2016, 05:41:23 PM »
Unfortunately while TD-50 module is improvement over TD-30, but the sound are not up to vst standard (at exception of the cymbal)

And that's because the TD-50 is just an incremental improvement over the TD-30. I'm sorry, but Roland's top of the line Vdrums product was only "revolutionary" when they released the TD-10 back in 1998. Since then it has only been incremental improvements (Which is good). You can see it when you compare the TD-10 thru the TD-50 side by side. (TD-10, TD-20, TD-20x, TD-30, TD-50)
I only point this out, because many seem to think that every Roland release is somehow a major game changer.

There is a reason for these same path, they are not changing their core structure to avoid larger cost,  a module like MIMIC will cost for them about 5000USD, Roland 3x time the price if they would do it in 2016 with distribution world wide and supports\parts + profits.

Roland is using lower amount of wav files for their (complete remarks) instruments layers (outside their single shots wav) and lower memory on the module and they compensate these a bit to increase the realism on the sound with real-time filters, alternating the start point of the wav triggered, tuning etc antilogarithm for position sensing as showed below in the attach (click on these image to show larger), these technique are used same for their COSM (tuning\depth shell\muffle\head type\thickness,beater type\sizzle\strainers etc are depend on the v-editing are Filter\Tuning\ADSR\ Simultaneous sound, on\off switch described as drum with picture, they are using lower amount of wav files as base core sound and alternating the sound with your desire on\off switch on the v-editing and using real-time technique wav manipulation starting point with the speed of the stick for swell cymbal, position sensing etc. These have been since the start of TD flagship while their previous latency was higher then 3MS as they are in TD30\11\15, it is much easier to have faster loading time when you have lower instrument wav accessing on a single users kits then GB of wav on a single users kits. This technique is very useful to save memory and cost production for Roland (and enabled easier supports\shipping\parts for 7 years availability world wide possible), but at the same time add some unwanted sound characteristic and potentially increase lack of variation on the sound realism. It's basically a synthesizer functionally (hided with drum name and picture) and wav files build for drummer interaction playing surface and editing.

The new snare pad show here (8:00) TD-50KV(A) video at https://youtu.be/lKO_MGMcXD0?t=479

it show 4 cone:

There is probably others piezo, in the Roland web site they said 8 sensor, or some are hided for the cross stick
-Head sensor
-Rim sensor
-Position sensors x 3
-Cross stick sensors x 3

-Head and rim are in the middle cone, top and below underneath the cone for 2 piezo.
-Position sensor are probably the 3 cone around the middle one for 3 piezo
-the cross stick sensors are probably hiding around the edge\rim area for 3 piezo.

Which will give total of 8

After I saw the instruments DATA list https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/td-50/owners_manuals/

they have 4 full kit that match, Bass Drum \ Snare \ Toms

-Jarrah Ply kit
-Bubinga kit
-60s Round Bearing edge
-70s Stainless
-2 Type ride available
-2 Type hihat available

-2 ride type supports position sensing
-5 toms type supports position sensing
-5 snare type supports position sensing

Most important are these remark below for the individual instruments which are more "advanced", all others sound without these remark are basic.

*P=Can get various changes of the sound in accordance with the positioning where on the pad you hit with a stick. In rim sounds, can get such various changes of the sound in accordance with the depth of the stick on the rim.

*M1=Mic Position, Mic Overhead, Mic Room, and Mic Width are supported.

*M2=Mic Position, Mic Overhead, and Mic Width are supported.

*X=Rim shot and cross stick can be played separately.

*T=TRANSIENT is supported.

*D=Dynamic Enhancer is supported

if it was me, I would removed all fx-dance-DJ-percussion and put them in a cd as option with the package for importing wav and make more memory space..

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:50:32 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2016, 10:25:25 PM »
Heavy Prog kit and Waxy jazz kit sound good with low end bass drum sustain, cymbal sound excellent, probably is the bubinga and 70's kits used on the instrument list for the drums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MynFUqqkTTw

Can you guess these song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZutnqAHqBY